• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cheapest Average cost for DC points ?

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I already own too many timeshare.
I just bought a Hawaii Westin which has not even cleared ROFR
So since Marriott has bought Vistana and I do not own a Marriott I started trying to see what is the cheapest way to aquire DC points per Marriott DC point.
(I know that does not make perfect sense but an addiction is like that)

I found this thread:

Which contained this information concerning Marriotts Grand Residence quarter shares :

"Average annual Destination Points for GRC quarter share is 32,875 and 5,650 for St. Kitts. So, all in, we purchased 38,525 Destination Points for a total purchase price of $127,720.7, or $3.32 per Destination Point. Annual maintenance fees and property taxes for GRC and St. Kitts is $11,498, or $0.30 per Destination Point."

I do not know if that could even be done today.
If it could would it make any sense to do so with a family trust with my 5 children's families and myself being the beneficiaries --Would cut down cost per family.

Any other cheap (per point) strategies available-- hopefully with less of an initial investment

By the way with any luck this is a completely academic exercise

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I already own too many timeshare.
I just bought a Hawaii Westin which has not even cleared ROFR
So since Marriott has bought Vistana and I do not own a Marriott I started trying to see what is the cheapest way to aquire DC points per Marriott DC point.
(I know that does not make perfect sense but an addiction is like that)

I found this thread:

Which contained this information concerning Marriotts Grand Residence quarter shares :

"Average annual Destination Points for GRC quarter share is 32,875 and 5,650 for St. Kitts. So, all in, we purchased 38,525 Destination Points for a total purchase price of $127,720.7, or $3.32 per Destination Point. Annual maintenance fees and property taxes for GRC and St. Kitts is $11,498, or $0.30 per Destination Point."

I do not know if that could even be done today.
If it could would it make any sense to do so with a family trust with my 5 children's families and myself being the beneficiaries --Would cut down cost per family.

Any other cheap (per point) strategies available-- hopefully with less of an initial investment

By the way with any luck this is a completely academic exercise
Why do you want DC points?

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 5 children and 7 grandchildren.
Possible use would be:
3-4 2 Bedroom units week 52 in Marco for 3 or 4 of the families
2 2 bedroom units in Arizona end of March (spring Break)
3 2 bedroom units during the summer school break for the three children with their own children
2 1 Bedroom weeks in Aruba during the winter
3-4 1 Bedroom weeks in the winter for my wife and I somewhere warm

Now none of this is required but although I don't own at Marriott I have stayed at Marriott
I wince at the price but I do like the quality

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Possible use would be:
3 2 bedroom units during the summer school break for the three children with their own children

Now none of this is required but although I don't own at Marriott I have stayed at Marriott
Now go look at the points charts and find out how much each of these would cost you in points. You will then have some perspective of the cost through the DC program for the "flexibility".

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just talked with a salesman at Grand Regency about buying a quarter share
To buy a quarter share and 5000 Marriott points would in fact be one of the cheapest per point ways to own points (buying two quarter shares could be even cheaper per point.)
The key phrase here is cheapest "per point"
The quoted price for the quarter share and the points was substantially over $100,000 ( I think the quarter share and points came to $128,000)
My attention started to fade once those figures were quoted
Perhaps there was some room for negotiation but I did not explore that.
I think Marriott is a quality product and I may revisit a more modest purchase in the future
For now I will quietly retreat and lick my wounds
Thanks

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would wait to see if an ovelay program Vistana/MVC is announced later this year.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just talked with a salesman at Grand Regency about buying a quarter share
To buy a quarter share and 5000 Marriott points would in fact be one of the cheapest per point ways to own points (buying two quarter shares could be even cheaper per point.)
The key phrase here is cheapest "per point"
The quoted price for the quarter share and the points was substantially over $100,000 ( I think the quarter share and points came to $128,000)
My attention started to fade once those figures were quoted
Perhaps there was some room for negotiation but I did not explore that.
I think Marriott is a quality product and I may revisit a more modest purchase in the future
For now I will quietly retreat and lick my wounds
Thanks
Usually each quartershare requires a purchase of 5000 trust points. So buying two quartershares will require 10000 trust points plus $10,000 enrollment fee.

Although I was able to enroll two quartershares by purchasing 5000 trust points. That might have been a one off from a new just opened sales office and new manager.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see this issue is well discussed in this on going thread:

Looks like you enrolled several weeks and two quarter shares
I am guessing you win my lowest cost per point award both in terms of purchase and in terms of maintenance fees (at least in current times)
I am also guessing that "The lowest cost per point" came only with a substantial monetary investment plus much time and effort and a little bit of luck
Congratulations !

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Possible use would be:

I don’t recall you stating how many points you actually want and I know that looking at the possible uses that you are looking at lots of points. However, I would probably wait for Marriott to roll out the hybrid deals which are usually during the summer. Most of the time the hybrids consist of weeks and points bundles. Sometimes Marriott will allow you to buy two weeks directly from them with both of them being enrolled in the Destinations program. when they have these types of specials, it is usually a week from St. Kitts or Aruba which and then another week which is more than likely a resale week from a person trying to sell their timeshare. This type of purchase can have a low price per point that is competitive with resale points. The purchase I had like this was the equivalent of buying points at about $2.50 on the resale market and once Marriott adds it $3/per point charge and you’re looking at about $5.50 per point. My total amount of points from the purchase was about well over 9000 points. My maintenance fee per point was 0.39. In addition, Marriott provided a bunch of incentives that really sweetened the pot and helped me overall reduce the cost of the purchase. I found this much more agreeable with my pocketbook. As suggested earlier by someone else, you may wish to be patient and wait to see what is revealed with the overlay program Marriott is creating. You may find that you’re already in a good position with the timeshares you own. Always remember that maintenance fees only go north.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Possible use would be:

I think you're looking at in the range of 60K points. Retail for points that's $600K and yearly fees around $36K using rough numbers. For just points the quarter shares and enrolling them might be the best option. IMO though just buying the weeks you need then getting them enrolled might be best. It gives you points options but gives you more guarantees and will be cheaper both in terms of cost but it'll also be lower points than if you actually were reserving with points. You might consider buying the weeks for Marco, Aruba and AZ then enrolling with points or you might buy Marco, AZ & say Grande Chateau or Grand Vista and enroll by buying 1 or 2 Platinum weeks in Aruba to enroll. I think Marco may be the sticking point since I believe it is mostly in the trust so you may need points to get there. Those options would cut your costs significantly up front and your dues a fair amount as well. Even if budget is no issue, this will be a 2 year project in all likelihood.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information.
Money is always an object and while I would like the vacations the cost is much more than I want to pay.
I will await the overlay
I may also nibble at the Marriott system
I think (if I did anything) I would start by trying to get 8000 pts

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information.
Money is always an object and while I would like the vacations the cost is much more than I want to pay.
I will await the overlay
I may also nibble at the Marriott system
I think (if I did anything) I would start by trying to get 8000 pts
I have roughly that many points almost all through by enrolling weeks and my fees are costs are a fraction of that. Maybe $200K and yearly about $28K. And were I to start from scratch to get that many points, I'm confident I could get the up front down to maybe $100-120K and the fees to around $20K using very rough numbers and c/w your OP. I'm not sure where you are with the other system but unless you're high level qualified, I doubt you'll have a lot of options that will get you to these resorts and I think it dramatically unlikely they'll get you to Marco for week 52 and that volume though the rest might be doable. But cheapest isn't necessarily best, IMO for what you stated, owning legacy weeks that fit the yearly options is likely best. And it may be that doing so without points would work for you though it'd give you some options if you then enrolled.