• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Visa vs Amex

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
For car rentals I believe the Brilliant card provides only secondary insurance, meaning you have to exhaust other insurance options first. That's the main reason I use the Sapphire Reserve on car rentals, which gives primary car rental coverage.

Yep. this is the case. I also don't use it for rental cars for the same reason.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
That's 50,000 more points than the usual sign up bonus, so yes I think that's a good deal if you wanted the card.

The restaurant credits are $20/month till the end of the year, so you probably wont get the full $200.
Thanks for the info, I signed up. It looks like the restaurant offer varies for new applicants in that you get a blanket 6 month period to spend the $200 instead of the $20 per month for existing cardholders.

Now the question is, do I keep the chase visa? It seems like it will come down to if the anniversary night is worth the annual fee to me or are there other benefits.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I signed up. It looks like the restaurant offer varies for new applicants in that you get a blanket 6 month period to spend the $200 instead of the $20 per month for existing cardholders.

Now the question is, do I keep the chase visa? It seems like it will come down to if the anniversary night is worth the annual fee to me or are there other benefits.

the annual fee is only $95 and comes with a free night up to 35,000 points. You can certainly get a night that would cost more than $95 for that.

KS2beach

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WRF 2007
WKV 2019
SMV 2006
MVC 2020
What is the rental car deductible you're referring to?

For car rentals I believe the Brilliant card provides only secondary insurance, meaning you have to exhaust other insurance options first. That's the main reason I use the Sapphire Reserve on car rentals, which gives primary car rental coverage.
no they paid the primary deductible, first $1000 (which was her deductible with State farm) nothing out of my sisters pocket. Just knowing they will cover the deductible is helpful- especially driving in unfamiliar areas. Just nice extra perk. With the new Brilliant card also getting the free hotel night up to 50,000 points vs 35,000 points alittle added value there as well

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
no they paid the primary deductible, first $1000 (which was her deductible with State farm) nothing out of my sisters pocket. Just knowing they will cover the deductible is helpful- especially driving in unfamiliar areas. Just nice extra perk. With the new Brilliant card also getting the free hotel night up to 50,000 points vs 35,000 points alittle added value there as well

Ok - now I get it. Sounds like your sister's experience may not be inconsistent with what I am saying...

If you read card reviews on thepointsguy or nerdwallet the Brilliant card is secondary insurance. Meaning you first go to your own insurance and the card will pay for the rest of your out of pocket expenses such as deductibles. It seems like it saved your sister $1000, but even the Blue Amex card with no annual fee has the same benefit - most cards' car rental insurance policies are "secondary" and will cover what your insurance doesn't, including deductibles. Amex actually has the Premium Car Rental Protection program that will provide enhanced/primary benefits with a per-rental fee (it's not a bad deal, especialy for weekly/longer rentals IMO, but does cost extra).

The Chase Sapphire (Preferred and Reserve) is primary insurance meaning that you do not have to go to your own insurance first to file a claim. Not only can this reduce hassle (filing claim only with card) but it may also save you in increased future premiums with your insurance since you didn't file a claim with them.

This is straight from the terms and conditions for the Brilliant card from the Amex website:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...r-rental-loss-and-damage-insurance-terms.html

F. Other Insurance or Agreement Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance is intended to Pay only for amounts not covered by any other insurance or agreement including reimbursement by Rental Company or other supplier of travel services. We will, however, Pay applicable deductible(s) of other available coverage where doing so does not result in an over-payment of the overall Claim.

Does this mean it is secondary coverage? Yes, it is secondary to any other coverage which may be available to You, Eligible Renter, or the Eligible Car Rental Claimant. This applies to all benefits provided herein EXCEPT for the Accidental Death or Dismemberment Coverage.

Here is info from the Chase Sapphire benefits page:
https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

Provides reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft for most rental vehicles when traveling within the U.S. and abroad.
  • It is primary coverage which means you do not have to file a claim with any other source of insurance before you can receive coverage under this benefit
  • Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using the covered Chase card and decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver or loss damage waiver

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the difference. I actually use my MileagePlus card which is primary insurance including foreign countries. I don't want my insurance paying for any damages, that will undoubtedly end up costing me more than whatever secondary pays. The Amex card also doesn't cover a few countries I've been to, like Australia.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Yes, that's the difference. I actually use my MileagePlus card which is primary insurance including foreign countries. I don't want my insurance paying for any damages, that will undoubtedly end up costing me more than whatever secondary pays. The Amex card also doesn't cover a few countries I've been to, like Australia.

Good point. Even the Amex Premium Car Rental Protection I referred to excludes those countries. The the terms on their site:

Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand

The Chase Sapphire card doesn't exclude any countries by name although there is a disclaimer it's not good in countries "where prohibited by law".

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point. Even the Amex Premium Car Rental Protection I referred to excludes those countries. The the terms on their site:

Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand

The Chase Sapphire card doesn't exclude any countries by name although there is a disclaimer it's not good in countries "where prohibited by law".

Yeah, neither does my mileageplus. The disclaimer is why I always call and make sure before a foreign trip that I have coverage.

The Amex card is also missing some other travel benefits so I don't use it any more. For example, delayed baggage, travel accidents, and the trip cancellation/interruption only covers travel fares (air, sea), not other things like places to stay, etc.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have found most Chase cards with a minimum of $95 annual fee carries primary travel insurance. Chase Saphire Premium and the United Explorer Card come to mind. You do not have to have a high annual fee Chase card to get that primary insurance like the Ritz Carlton or Sapphire Reserve card.

The Amex paid insurance is great but does cost IIRC $17.95 or $19.95 per rental. While it is free with certain Chase cards.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found most Chase cards with a minimum of $95 annual fee carries primary travel insurance. Chase Saphire Premium and the United Explorer Card come to mind. You do not have to have a high annual fee Chase card to get that primary insurance like the Ritz Carlton or Sapphire Reserve card.

The Amex paid insurance is great but does cost IIRC $17.95 or $19.95 per rental. While it is free with certain Chase cards.

Frank, that is not my understanding. The reference above was specifically for car rental coverage. SR provides primary coverage so your personal car insurance is not involved. The Bonvoy provides secondary coverage so your car insurance is primary. Either way you have to decline all optional coverages for either one to apply. https://static.chasecdn.com/content...784_Marriott_Boundless_Bold_Visa_Plat_Sig.pdf

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank, that is not my understanding. The reference above was specifically for car rental coverage. SR provides primary coverage so your personal car insurance is not involved. The Bonvoy provides secondary coverage so your car insurance is primary. Either way you have to decline all optional coverages for either one to apply. https://static.chasecdn.com/content...784_Marriott_Boundless_Bold_Visa_Plat_Sig.pdf

Which part are you disagreeing with? The Mileageplus (Explorer) card is primary coverage for car rental as he said, The Chase cards do seem to provide (mostly) primary. Isn't that what he said?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which part are you disagreeing with? The Mileageplus (Explorer) card is primary coverage for car rental as he said, The Chase cards do seem to provide (mostly) primary. Isn't that what he said?
What Frank said was that most Chase cards with a fee of $95 provide primary travel insurance. I read it as intending to say Car rental insurance and the Bonvoy does not provide primary car rental insurance nor do any of the others that I am aware of except some higher end ones. Travel insurance would mean something different like Travelex for MVC, etc, but in context I didn't read that as what was intended. Frank can clarify as needed.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
These Chase cards with $95 fee carries car rental primary insurance, Sapphire Preferred and United Explorer. My two other cards with $95 AF that has primary rental insurance is the United Business Explorer and Chase Business Preferred.

I did not mean all $95 AF cards had them, just most, and I am mistaken. The four $95 cards I have from Chase have primary and they are more the exception than the norm. The Marriott bonvoy card for $95 does NOT have but the Ritz Carlton card has primary insurance.

I am wrong that most Chase $95 cards have primary. With further research, found out it is the other way around. Most Chase $95 cards do not have primary rental. Just some $95 Chase cards have primary rental insurance.

During my research, have found out that Chase has $0 AF cards that provide primary car rental insurance (what a DEAL!). They are the Ink Business cash and Ink Business unlimited cards. So if you want primary car insurance coverage for no cost, get either of these two cards(or both). Though you have to have rented the car for business purposes.

My main point was you do not have to have a $450+ AF card to get primary car rental insurance. It can be done with a $95 or even $0 Chase issued card. Way better deal than Amex where if you want primary insurance you are charged.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Chase SWA RR Priority card has $149 AF but is still only secondary insurance.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
These Chase cards with $95 fee carries car rental primary insurance, Sapphire Preferred and United Explorer. My two other cards with $95 AF that has primary rental insurance is the United Business Explorer and Chase Business Preferred.

I did not mean all $95 AF cards had them, just most, and I am mistaken. The four $95 cards I have from Chase have primary and they are more the exception than the norm. The Marriott bonvoy card for $95 does NOT have but the Ritz Carlton card has primary insurance.

I am wrong that most Chase $95 cards have primary. With further research, found out it is the other way around. Most Chase $95 cards do not have primary rental. Just some $95 Chase cards have primary rental insurance.

During my research, have found out that Chase has $0 AF cards that provide primary car rental insurance (what a DEAL!). They are the Ink Business cash and Ink Business unlimited cards. So if you want primary car insurance coverage for no cost, get either of these two cards(or both). Though you have to have rented the car for business purposes.

My main point was you do not have to have a $450+ AF card to get primary car rental insurance. It can be done with a $95 or even $0 Chase issued card. Way better deal than Amex where if you want primary insurance you are charged.

Thanks Frank, good to know about the other card options.

Bootsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
in escrow for Mariott Newport Coast + MVC
Ugh! So I just missed out on the AmEx extra 50k points (125,000 sign-up bonus) which ended last week.
About to close escrow on some Marriott DC points plus two separate weeks. It will be a great time to have either the AmEX Brilliant or the Chase Visa Boundless.

From reviewing both, I prefer the AmEx (Gold status), but notice that Chase (Silver status) has a 100k signing bonus right now as opposed to AmEX 75k. Not concerned about the annual fees as we will use the card for maint. fees.

I also see that Chase is also saying up to 17x points for Marriott purchases. We should qualify for 16x until we are Silver level at one-year anniv).
With our three escrows, that could really add up!

QUESTIONS:
What is the value of the 25k difference in Bonvoy points?
Is there a real difference in Silver vs Gold status? (Or are there so many platinum members that no perks will even be available in Gold/Silver levels?)

Do you think it would be beneficial to get one of each card...one in my name, and one in hubby's name?
(Or would having the Bonvoy points separated be too much of a headache?)

Any additional comments on how beneficial the airport lounge access is (included in AmEx)?

Thank you in advance for any tips!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wife and I each have the Brilliant Amex and use it to pay any MVC or Marriott expenses to get the 6x points. The $450 AF is easily offset with the $300 Marriott credit and for the RC the $300 airline credit. So we are paying $150 for a 50k certificate annually. I would recommend you each get a Brilliant if you can use the 50k certificate annually.

I value each Bonvoy point at .8 of a penny. So the 25k points I value at $200. Some will get more for each point than .8 of a cent, so mileage may vary.

For purchasing direct from MVC and staying at Marriott properties, you will only get 6x Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar spent. The 10x bonus points is only for stays at Marriott properties. Will not get 10x for purchase from MVC just 6x points.

Priority Pass that is complimentary with the Brilliant Amex is a great perk if you visit any airport that has a lounge that participates in PP. Get a seat and get some snacks and a drink before your flight. I actually use PP membership from the Ritz Carlton card because you can also use it at restaurants that participate in PP. I actually like the free meals (except for gratuity) better than entering a participating PP lounge. Amex PP membership cannot be used at participating restaurants.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Points Guy valuation on Marriott points is .8 cents each, but it can vary widely depending on what you use them for. I always calculated out the cost when making a points reservation and if it’s not at least .8 cents a points I just pay cash.

As for the bonus- it seems the rotate back and forth as to which card is offering an enhanced sign up bonus. It will be theChase card for a month or two then the Amex for a month or two and so forth. You can hold both cards, but i believe you have to wait 24 months between signups to get a 2nd bonus.

jstoeber

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Surf Club, Ko Olina, Ocean Pointe
I currently have the Chase Bonvoy card with Bonvoy rewards account number; my wife has a card linked to that account. She recently applied for and received the Amex Brilliant card - she is the primary and I received a card to use. When she applied, it allowed her to list the Reward number linked to my Chase card. Will both of those cards accrue points/nights to that single Bonvoy account?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I currently have the Chase Bonvoy card with Bonvoy rewards account number; my wife has a card linked to that account. She recently applied for and received the Amex Brilliant card - she is the primary and I received a card to use. When she applied, it allowed her to list the Reward number linked to my Chase card. Will both of those cards accrue points/nights to that single Bonvoy account?
Sounds like it. Only drawback is you will only receive 15 nights stay annually to your account instead of 15 nights to each account.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk