• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel insurance & airline strike this weekend

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I *just* saw this announcement from Westjet saying that their mechanics are preparing to strike in the next 72 hours. Flights are already being canceled. We are supposed to be flying to Calgary on Sunday. So, I am trying to get my ducks in a row in case it actually happens and our flights are canceled.

I am relying on the Chase Sapphire travel insurance. A summary with respect to trip delays and cancelations is here. Does anyone know if we can rebook our flights on another carrier and get some type of reimbursement for additional airfare? If Westjet cancels our flights, does that means that the trip is just canceled? I am trying to salvage the trip if possible. If I am able to make alternative arrangements and have to change our dates, would we be on the hook for additional airfare or lodging or would the travel insurance cover that? Obviously I will call Chase in the morning, but I thought the collective TUG knowledge would be very helpful before I start dealing with Chase. I don't even know if they will talk to me until we have actually been canceled.

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to salvage the trip if our flights are canceled? I am trying to be creative and make the best of this situation.

As Roseanne Rosanadana says, "It's always something"

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. No specific knowledges about Sapphire insurance coverage but I’m very interested in know what they have to say. We have had the card for many years but have not had to deal with the insurance yet (knock on wood).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
As Roseanne Rosanadana says, "It's always something"

Good luck with your trip!

You get five bonus points for the quote. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can get some sort of travel credit with WestJet, after your flight has been cancelled, Chase will not provide reimbursement. No idea if they will provide reimbursement if you have to book a costly flight on another carrier. But it looks like the work stoppage, if it occurs, will only be up to June 20; so hopefully you’ll be OK. And it was supposed to have started yesterday. So if it hasn’t happened yet, not likely to?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sure hope so!

If I hadn't stumbled across a post in the Canmore/Banff visitors page on Facebook, I would still be blissfully unaware of the situation as I haven't heard a peep from Westjet. I also saw on Flyertalk that this happened in May and they seemed to have worked through it, so maybe it could get resolved again. But, I also saw that the vote to reject the current proposal from Westjet was a 97% no vote (unverified) so the mechanics seem serious and united. What a way to start a trip. At the end of the day, we are going. I am just not sure what airline will be taking us to Calgary, lol.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just got off of the phone with Chase Benefits (1-888-320-9961 if anyone needs to call them).

1. They will reimburse the difference in airfare if we have to rebook with another carrier, but Westjet needs to cancel first. After reading through the "policy" (which still feels like more of a summary, not an actual policy) I didn't see where this was covered so I called Chase again. The new agent (very thick foreign accent so I am hopeful that I understood) said that the difference in airfare *wasn't* covered. Both agents were very confident of their answers, so I don't know what to believe now. I didn't want to leave this info up and have anyone rely on it, so I edited it. It appears now that there is a possibility that it won't be covered under the trip interruption or delay, but once Westjet cancels and doesn't rebook us on another carrier, the cancellation coverage would cover us. Apparently they would prefer to pay out all of the nonrefundable costs ($2000+) vs a few hundred dollars to preserve our trip. That is an odd choice.

Btw, the last woman that I spoke to insisted that this coverage through Chase Sapphire was NOT travel insurance. I couldn't get anywhere with her on that point so I gave up. It was weird.

2. They will reimburse hotel costs if we are delayed and miss any nights due to the delay.
3. They will NOT reimburse any hotel costs if we choose to extend the trip.

RE: hotel costs - Our trip was booked through Worldmark using Monday Madness i.e. a prepaid cash reservation, so I have no idea how this would have been handled if I had used Worldmark credits. That said, our nightly cost was a bargain and if I had to rebook additional nights to make up for lost nights at the beginning of the trip it will probably cost double or triple. It looks like that additional cost would be out of pocket for us.

Our return flight is also on Westjet but our tickets were booked as two one way flights, so that is another issue that will have to be watched in case there is a strike and it goes on long enough to affect us. For now, I am not going to worry about that.

Last edited:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I just got off of the phone with Chase Benefits (1-888-320-9961 if anyone needs to call them).

1. They will reimburse the difference in airfare if we have to rebook with another carrier, but Westjet needs to cancel first. After reading through the "policy" (which still feels like more of a summary, not an actual policy) I didn't see where this was covered so I called Chase again. The new agent (very thick foreign accent so I am hopeful that I understood) said that the difference in airfare *wasn't* covered. Both agents were very confident of their answers, so I don't know what to believe now. I didn't want to leave this info up and have anyone rely on it, so I edited it. It appears now that there is a possibility that it won't be covered under the trip interruption or delay, but once Westjet cancels and doesn't rebook us on another carrier, the cancellation coverage would cover us. Apparently they would prefer to pay out all of the nonrefundable costs ($2000+) vs a few hundred dollars to preserve our trip. That is an odd choice.

Btw, the last woman that I spoke to insisted that this coverage through Chase Sapphire was NOT travel insurance. I couldn't get anywhere with her on that point so I gave up. It was weird.

2. They will reimburse hotel costs if we are delayed and miss any nights due to the delay.
3. They will NOT reimburse any hotel costs if we choose to extend the trip.

RE: hotel costs - Our trip was booked through Worldmark using Monday Madness i.e. a prepaid cash reservation, so I have no idea how this would have been handled if I had used Worldmark credits. That said, our nightly cost was a bargain and if I had to rebook additional nights to make up for lost nights at the beginning of the trip it will probably cost double or triple. It looks like that additional cost would be out of pocket for us.

Our return flight is also on Westjet but our tickets were booked as two one way flights, so that is another issue that will have to be watched in case there is a strike and it goes on long enough to affect us. For now, I am not going to worry about that.
This was posted on flyertalk - fingers crossed that you will not be affected:

The WestJet Group begins flight cancellations in anticipation of WestJet Aircraft Maintenance Engineers and other Tech Ops employees' strike​

June 18, 2024

This action enables proactive communication with guests and crew to minimize the potential for being stranded and ensures the airline can avoid abandoning aircraft in remote locations.
As the WestJet Group prepares for labour action by WestJet Aircraft Maintenance Engineers and other Tech Ops employees, the airline has started cancelling and consolidating flights, in order to park aircraft in a safe and organized manner. This action enables proactive communication with guests and crew to minimize the potential for being stranded and ensures the airline can avoid abandoning aircraft in remote locations.

The decision to cancel flights comes as the WestJet Group awaits a response on behalf of the Canadian Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) to intervene under the Canada Labour Code. If accepted, this action would refer both WestJet and AMFA to arbitration for a first collective agreement and prevent labour action by either party.

“We are immensely disheartened that we are in a position where we must activate our contingency plan and begin parking aircraft, as a result of the strike notice served by AMFA. We deeply regret the disruption this will have on the travel plans of our guests, communities and businesses that rely on our critical air service,” said Diederik Pen, President of WestJet Airlines and Group Chief Operating Officer. “Following the memberships’ nearly unanimous decision to reject a generous tentative agreement that would have made our Aircraft Maintenance Engineers the highest paid in the country, with a take-home pay increase of 30 to 40 per cent in the first year of the proposed agreement, it is clear that the bargaining process has broken down.”  

In the coming 48-hours the WestJet Group will work to park aircraft, in a measured, phased and safe approach, resulting in the following cancellations.

Total cancellation summary

Tuesday, June 18 – Wednesday, June 19:
  • ~40 cancellations
Guest impact*
  • ~6,500 guests impacted
*WestJet is making every effort to reaccommodate all impacted guests

“We will continue to manage our operations to the highest degree of safety and will never compromise in this area,” concluded Pen.

Guests travelling are advised to check the status of their flight prior to leaving for the airport. Please visit WestJet’s Guest Updates page for more information regarding flight status, travel changes and more. 

Cancellations for YYC-YYZ and YYC-YVR are now starting to show for Wednesday 6/19.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Lynn. It is a waiting game for sure. So far all of their canceled flights have been domestic. It leads me to wonder if they are able to have repairs and maintenance done at international airports using contracted mechanics? (Like I know anything about how airlines work, lol). At any rate, their website will still sell a ticket between SD and Calgary for my date. Hopefully this doesn't affect us, although I feel so sorry for everyone who is being affected. It is pretty frustrating.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Thanks Lynn. It is a waiting game for sure. So far all of their canceled flights have been domestic. It leads me to wonder if they are able to have repairs and maintenance done at international airports using contracted mechanics? (Like I know anything about how airlines work, lol). At any rate, their website will still sell a ticket between SD and Calgary for my date. Hopefully this doesn't affect us, although I feel so sorry for everyone who is being affected. It is pretty frustrating.
One really great resource to get an idea of cancellations is flight aware - the flights that were cancelled Thursday to/from US cities were HNL and LAS. There are no Westjet flights scheduled for cancellation Friday or Saturday so there is hope for your flights. Nothing like extra stress before a vacation!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One really great resource to get an idea of cancellations is flight aware - the flights that were cancelled Thursday to/from US cities were HNL and LAS. There are no Westjet flights scheduled for cancellation Friday or Saturday so there is hope for your flights. Nothing like extra stress before a vacation!

I missed those two when I looked earlier. What a bummer for those folks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Roseanne Rosanadana is one of my favorite SNL characters.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I *just* saw this announcement from Westjet saying that their mechanics are preparing to strike in the next 72 hours. Flights are already being canceled. We are supposed to be flying to Calgary on Sunday. So, I am trying to get my ducks in a row in case it actually happens and our flights are canceled.
Strike has been averted with a last minute return to the bargaining table.
Here's the news story from up here; https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/westjet-mechanics-strike-averted-1.7240746
No word if the cancelled flights will be reinstated.

~Diane

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am starting to be wary of any promises the credit card companies make with respect to travel insurance. I am going to look into a travel policy that will work for an entire year of traveling. I will ask our broker for a suggestion.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am starting to be wary of any promises the credit card companies make with respect to travel insurance. I am going to look into a travel policy that will work for an entire year of traveling. I will ask our broker for a suggestion.
Exactly. I got the complete runaround yesterday. When the last woman told me "this isn't insurance!" it definitely made me wonder what it is. Chase definitely sells it as an insurance benefit, but it didn't feel like it when I was asking for clarification yesterday. The interesting thing is, losses due to a strike action *were* covered. Lot of folks on reddit had that as an exclusion on their policies.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for sharing Katherine. I hope this works out for you and the strike is averted.

I find this post disconcerting because we rely on Chase for most travel insurance. I wonder if a class action may be brewing if they don't honor what they advertise.

I believe @VacationForever was able to recover $ from Chase travel cancellation coverage but I don't recall the circumstances.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for sharing Katherine. I hope this works out for you and the strike is averted.

I find this post disconcerting because we rely on Chase for most travel insurance. I wonder if a class action may be brewing if they don't honor what they advertise.

I believe @VacationForever was able to recover $ from Chase travel cancellation coverage but I don't recall the circumstances.
I shared on another thread that Chase insurance gave us a false sense of security because NU Car in Charlotte, NC, charged us for liability insurance and wouldn't accept our Safeco policy for liability. I really thought we were covered X 2 with our personal auto insurance and Chase.

Total misunderstanding on my part of what Chase would cover (not liability) but also that a company could choose to accept some personal auto insurance but not our policy. NU Car basically scammed us out of $240 for liablity insurance with their Priceline fine print. I will be reading every word of that fine print for future rentals, if I can even trust Priceline after that.