• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase credit card

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
After everything KarenG went through with Chase credit card, I have still been using mine because I use it for business expenses. It has a very high limit, which I need. I have anywhere from 30 - 50 transactions per billing cycle. It would be easy to miss mistakes, but I look at my account every couple days.

In October, there were 3 Rite Aid (all different stores) and 2 Pep Boys charges that went through while I was on a weekend cruise. They are all located in Monrovia, California - which I don't go to, not to mention, I don't shop at Rite Aid or Pep Boys ever. A little over $1200. in total charges. I do have a chip card, but some places don't accept the chip and there were 2 parking lots I swiped my card to get out of a few weeks before that. I am guessing it was skimmed at one of the parking lot machines.

When I called, I asked for fraud department. I went over the specific charges. They closed the account and overnighted a new credit card to me. They said they would investigate and that I wouldn't need to pay the charges. They were removed from bill within 48 hours.

In December 2015, Chase sent an official letter listing all the charges that said they finished their investigation and I was not responsible for any of the charges. It said the credits are permanent and to contact them if there were any fraudulent charges not listed. It all looked really good and I almost threw out the paper. Something told me to save it just in case.

Today, looking at my recent charges (which are 30 at the moment and I could have easily missed this), I see a PepBoys charge for $181.36 added to my account on 2/11/2016 - yesterday. That was one of the charges that was a permanent credit to my account. :mad:

I called the fraud department directly and told them what happened. I was on hold for a long time while my account was researched. When she came back on the line, she said that there was no reason for the charge to be placed back on my account and it must be a mistake. She tried to contact the investigator who put it back on my account, but got her voice mail. She said she would have the investigator call me within 48 hours to explain it and fix it. She also gave me the name and number of the investigator, which I will call if I don't hear back in a couple days.

Long story - the takeaway......
Even if you have fraudulent charges removed from your credit card account, you need to keep your notes and watch your account as long as the account exists.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks, will do!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing.

We have had a Chase card (used to have 2) for many years and our card has been compromised more than once. We have never had any issues.

I look at my account on-line every day. Hubby and I have one. My daughter and one of my married sons are authorized users. (I should remove my married son but my daughter lives home and is in school). It's only for emergencies. My son does not use it. He has his own.

I charge almost everything for the rewards (of course there are better rewards cc out there). As soon as I see something I did not charge, I call everyone :D. I also pay my card as soon as the charges are posted. No balances.

Will definitely look extra harder next time it's compromised - what you described has never happened. I think that is definitely sneaky of them.

Definitely curious what she has to say.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
A nice man just called. He said he had a note to call me and that he had a copy of my letter saying I am not responsible for the charges. He didn't know any other part of the story, so I told him I was charged again for the one charge yesterday. He put me on hold for a while and when he came back, he said he had no idea why I was charged again and that shouldn't have happened. He is going to issue a credit and that should show up in 48 hours. He gave me his direct phone and extension which is the same as the woman investigator's contact info. My guess is the the investigator who handled my case isn't there anymore.

At any rate, it should be a done deal, but I will of course keep all my detailed notes and my letter.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could have been an honest error on her part - who knows.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
After everything KarenG went through with Chase credit card, I have still been using mine because I use it for business expenses.
If this isn't resolved to your satisfaction, I still have the name and phone number of a very nice lady in the executive office at Chase. By the time I got to her, I had decided to close the account and never do business with them again. But, she was very apologetic for the whole ordeal. She went back and listened to several of the phone calls and agreed that it was handled badly.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Apparently Chase has some serious billing problems. I have the Amazon Chase Visa card. A day after I paid my bill, they charged my checking account for an additional $101.61. I called them about it and they said it was a web payment. However they refunded it, sending me a check for the $101.61 with no discussion. I told them I would like to know how this happened and they didn't have any idea nor did they care. If something like this happens again, I will cancel my Chase account.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had nothing but good experiences with two Chase cards.
In fact, they typically send me an email alert as well as leave a voice mail if they see any questionable (to them) charges.

Last time, however, someone had dinner on me at an Ohio restaurant and I'd been nowhere near Ohio, but I did do an online transaction with an Ohio vendor around Christmastime. Chase caught it, alerted me the next day, and had the replacement card expressed the next day.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked online and the charge is credited back already. Whether it was a mistake or not, I'll continue to keep a close watch.

Chase was easier to deal with than Discover or Wells Fargo, both of which were very annoying to deal with when I had fraudulent charges.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What I suspect happened here is that, someone saw the disputed charge, didn't notice that it was closed, and took the lazy way out by charging it to the customer, rather than looking at it's history.

I recently called Royal Caribbean about charging my account nearly $200 for prepaid-tips, which I had specifically said "no" to. Some lazy clerk decided that I must have meant to, and didn't bother reading the booking history.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Email this morning asking if I made an .18 charge to Global Wireless Communication. I clicked the No button and they are blocking my card. Since that is the third time I've had a Chase card compromised in less than a year and none of my other cards have had issues (except when a travel agent was hacked) this past year, I think I am done with Chase. It just seems odd that it happens so much with their cards. I guess I won't keep any of my cards on file with merchants anymore, either.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
When one of my cards are compromised, I typically don't use that card for a few month. So if any fraulant charge come it, it is easily detectable. I just use my other credit cards.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
When one of my cards are compromised, I typically don't use that card for a few month. So if any fraulant charge come it, it is easily detectable. I just use my other credit cards.
You need to notify your card provider immediately if you see any fraudulent charges so that the card can't be used any more and no other businesses become victims of the thieves.