• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Charlotte airport for 6 hours!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
We've just been notified that our flights have changed and we're now faced with a 6 hour layover at Charlotte airport prior to our flight to Hilton Head. We're considering asking the airline (US Airways) if we can transfer to an earlier flight. Our problem is that we'll be travelling with four children, 15, 13, 7 and 5. The older two I'm not too worried about but the younger ones might find 6 hours to be too much. Is there enough to occupy them at the airport for this length of time or can we use this as a bargaining tool with the airline?

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can drive from Charlotte to Hilton Head in less than 6 hours. I would fight for an earlier flight.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's crazy. We drive to HH in 5.5 hours and we live an hour north of
Charlotte....

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree-change your rental car reservation and pick up the car in Charlotte, then drive to HHI.

There is terrible connectivity between CLT and Charlotte proper, so it's not like you could jump on public transit and do something downtown for a few hours. (Hahahahahahahah.....just thinking about the terrible state of public transit in NC makes me laugh.)

I think the best bet might be to buy a day pass for the USAirways lounge. That way, the kids could at least spread out, enjoy the free snacks, etc, and be in a comfortable environment.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I think the best bet might be to buy a day pass for the USAirways lounge. That way, the kids could at least spread out, enjoy the free snacks, etc, and be in a comfortable environment.
Are minors even allowed in the airlines' lounges?

Kurt

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are minors even allowed in the airlines' lounges?

Kurt

Delta allows kids(I think it is one kid with one adult), we were all flying business class so I didn't have to pay. And the OP has 4 kids.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. I spent an 8-hour-ish layover in LAX in the USAirways lounge with my 18 month old, flying from Sydney back to GSO. The staff was great, and the lounge was basically empty, so I don't think we really disturbed anyone. It was a lifesaver.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
There are lots of shops and restaurants at that airport but 6 hours does seem a little long. I would try for an earlier flight to Hilton Head or you could fly into Savannah if there is an earlier flight. Savannah is not too far of a drive (we have done that and the drive isn't bad at all). If you flying from England you may not want to jump in the car and make a six hour drive from Charlotte to Hilton Head esp. since the steering wheel is on the other side of the road.

tlwmkw

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
That would be my suggestion as well. I would even ask US Airways to consider picking up the ($45?) tab on the day pass because of the lousy connection due to the flight change.

We've used the airport clubs (including US Airways one at CLT) quite a bit when we travel. The kids always ask if we're going to be able to go to one. Many even have a special room for kids/families. (I can't remember if the US club at CLT does.)

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually when an airline changes the time of my flight and I call, they never have a problem changing it to one that better serves my needs. Try calling them.

Lee55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club,
Marriott Aruba Surf Club,
& Marriott Grande Vista
Usually when an airline changes the time of my flight and I call, they never have a problem changing it to one that better serves my needs. Try calling them.

Contact US Airways first.

One thing that has not been discussed is your checked luggage, if you decide to rent a car. Second if you do not show up for the flight to HHI, you will be listed as a no show (communication with the airlines is a must). This may cause problems for you on you return trip.

There are two US Airways lounges at CLT, they are nice and clean. I would ask for a day pass, the worst thing they can say is no, but you need to ask.

Enjoy HHI...

jasa

TUG Member
Reaction score
US Airways also canceled our connecting flight back from Aruba and we have to stay overnight in Charlotte. What made me mad was the fact that they never called me, I just happened to look at my flight times on line again. They have changed and booked me to an earlier flight, however, I was still in the air coming from Aruba! how stupid!! Now I have have pay for 6 in an hotel , 12 hour layover, and an extra day for my pets at the kennel.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn't necessarily advocating driving, just pressuring the airline to find better flights.....6 hours on a layover is too much for ANY flight, in my opinion.
But it's especially irritating if you can drive it in less!
Deb from NC

terryfic

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Flights

The flight schedules shown on Travelocity have a 2:15 layover from Gatwick to HHI and an approximate 3 hour layover on the return. You may be getting some inaccurate information, but I may be wrong since I do not have your travel dates.

USAirways has 8 scheduled flights per day from CLT to HHH, I fail to see how this can not be resolved.

Last edited:

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely try for the earlier flight. Problem is the lack of service into Hilton Head. You could wait six hours and then find your flight to HHI cancelled. I found that connection frustrating and the Charlotte airport frustrating. Funtime

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in Charlotte in January.

The local municipal bus line has an express bus from the airport to uptown Charlotte, ending up across the street from Time Warner Center for $1.50. A short 3 block walk from the bus station is the NASCAR Hall of Fame. If you are NASCAR fans the place is full of amazing cars and exhibits in a race track setting.

Figure maybe a bit under an hour each way for the bus ride, 2 - 3 hours for the HoF and you have a sure fire way to spend a 6 hour layover.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all your replies. We've checked the flight schedule and there are earlier flights with US Airways leaving from Charlotte so we aim to try and change to one of those however because we booked through Ebookers then they are supposed to be our first point of call. I've now learnt a lesson, NEVER book with Ebookers. They've completely wiped their hands of us now that they've had or money and are the most useless, rude and unhelpful company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. We're now going to see if US Airways can do something for us.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I may have been a bit harsh on Ebookers as they're changed our flight and we now only have a 2 hour stopover at Charlotte! Next question is....

We're unable to pick up the hire car until the following day and as we're arriving at Grande Ocean around 8 pm we're looking for somewhere local to grab a quick bite to eat and suitable for four tired and hungry children, any recommendations?

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may have been a bit harsh on Ebookers as they're changed our flight and we now only have a 2 hour stopover at Charlotte! Next question is....

We're unable to pick up the hire car until the following day and as we're arriving at Grande Ocean around 8 pm we're looking for somewhere local to grab a quick bite to eat and suitable for four tired and hungry children, any recommendations?

There was a recent thread on the Marriott board with restaurant recommendations. Check this link.