• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CHANGED - Reservation Cancellation Policy

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Maria - If you look at the "account" page on the Vistana Website, it should show the cancelled Staroptions in both 2020 and 2021 - that may be what you are seeing.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
UGH--so if I rebook that same week and cancel again does anyone know what happens then???? Really shitty that they do this on a weekend when no one is there to reach out to them.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Maria - If you look at the "account" page on the Vistana Website, it should show the cancelled Staroptions in both 2020 and 2021 - that may be what you are seeing.
and it does not show they can be used in 2021 only this year. I will call since it is a fixed week--I expect to be on hold for a long time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you take screen shots of the terms that were stated during the cancellation process?

Look at the Account section on your Vistana Dashboard first - it should look something like this:

Restricted StarOptions 220202021
Expiring 12/31/202167,10067,100

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
RESTRICTED STAROPTIONS2
BANKED STAROPTIONS1
WEEKLY OWNERSHIP INTERESTS
HARBORSIDE RESORT AT ATLANTIS
WEEK 52, CONTRACT-, 1 BEDROOM VILLA0067,10067,100
WEEK 01, CONTRACT-, 2 BEDROOM LOCKOFF VILLA
1 BEDROOM PREMIUM VILLA081,000081,000
1 BEDROOM VILLA067,100067,100
STAROPTIONS®
EXPIRING 12/31/202166,70066,700----
EXPIRING 12/31/202067,100------
EXPIRING 12/31/202113,90013,900----
RESTRICTED BANKED STAROPTIONS2
EXPIRING 12/31/202134,70034,700----
TOTAL182,400263,40067,100215,200
1 Banked StarOptions® and Bonus StarOptions can be used to request a reservation eight months or less prior to check-in at any Vistana™ Signature Experiences villa resort, and expire on Dec. 31, two years after they are deposited. Bonus StarOptions may not be used to confirm reservations at Harborside Resort at Atlantis.

2 StarOptions that were restricted prior to March 12, 2020 are limited to requesting a new reservation within 60 days of the requested arrival date. Restricted Banked StarOptions and Restricted Bonus StarOptions expire on December 31, two years after deposited. Restricted StarOptions expire at the end of the Use Year and are not eligible for StarOptions banking or Marriott Bonvoy™ points conversion.
As of March 12, 2020, due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, reservations canceled within 60 days of arrival, will be returned as Restricted StarOptions and can be used for a future reservation within 120 days of arrival date. Any of these Restricted StarOptions that would have expired on December 31, 2020 have been extended for use through December 31, 2021.

Based on government mandated restrictions - including resort closures - these options may not apply to all resorts. Due to continually changing conditions, these cancellation policies may be changed or modified as needed from time to time.

The balances listed above may not reflect account changes made within the last 48 hours. In the event of discrepancies, alterations, modifications or variations between the

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
hoping that since it says may not reflect changes within 48 hours that is why............thanks for your help!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have a screen shot of the terms that they stated during the cancellation process?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I’m so confused. So my restricted star options that were used to book 12/27 check in, was cancelled 10/31 and rebooked. I have left over restricted SO that expire 2021 however, the reverted to 60 day booking, no longer 120. If it reverted to the old policy, wouldn’t they expire end of this use year? What a sham this is.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it's just messed up right now, and I recommend sending a concise message from the Vistana Dashboard and then give them a couple of days to fix it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think it's just messed up right now, and I recommend sending a concise message from the Vistana Dashboard and then give them a couple of days to fix it.
Possibly. I’m just miffed that they added cancellations to reservations with a 11/1 and later check in. Why not any reservation cancelled after 11/1? It would give people more time to plan. I just don’t care for the change in policy with no communication

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
If you book with restricted and cancel within 60 days now it’s back to the old policy it seems. Vistana It went down hill once Marriott took over. Instead of copying vistana superior IT, it seems they Implemented MVC “inferior IT”

Considering that over these last months Marriott implemented the same less-restrictive cancellation terms for both Marriott and Vistana COVID-affected points, and it's only Vistana accounts today that are having what appears to be IT-related issues now that they're trying to update all of our accounts to reinstate normal cancellation terms for reservations cancelled going forward, it's a bit of a stretch to say that Vistana's IT is superior to Marriott's. <shrug>

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yep. :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Considering that over these last months Marriott implemented the same less-restrictive cancellation terms for both Marriott and Vistana COVID-affected points, and it's only Vistana accounts today that are having what appears to be IT-related issues now that they're trying to update all of our accounts to reinstate normal cancellation terms for reservations cancelled going forward, it's a bit of a stretch to say that Vistana's IT is superior to Marriott's. <shrug>
Oh I’m just going by what was presented in the investors day presentation where it was stated that the Vistana IT was superior and they would be looking to benefit from that. Like the old saying goes “they don’t make them like they used to”. How many times I’ve seen things go down hill with change of management in many industries. The miscommunication at the very start was clear evidence of bad management and no direction.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
SO it gets better and better. Got this email. So if I used banked options the useage date would be extended. But since I am using the villa that I paid extra for to guarantee reservations for week 52 and they changed this policy at the last minute I am screwed--so that makes lots of sense because who else would ever be able to book week 52 if they didn't own it---
Your reservation at Harborside Resort at Atlantis has been canceled. We hope you can stay with us another time.

As a reminder, your Use Rights expire December 31, 2020. Any banked StarOptions® associated with this reservation will expire on, and travel must be completed by, December 31, two years beyond the Use Year from which they were banked.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
SO it gets better and better. Got this email. So if I used banked options the useage date would be extended. But since I am using the villa that I paid extra for to guarantee reservations for week 52 and they changed this policy at the last minute I am screwed--so that makes lots of sense because who else would ever be able to book week 52 if they didn't own it---
Your reservation at Harborside Resort at Atlantis has been canceled. We hope you can stay with us another time.

As a reminder, your Use Rights expire December 31, 2020. Any banked StarOptions® associated with this reservation will expire on, and travel must be completed by, December 31, two years beyond the Use Year from which they were banked.

By chance you don't happen to be Vistana 5-Star Elite do you? If so, you have until December 31 to bank your options.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hold time is 60 minutes. Waiting for them to call back. We shall see how this goes

Edit: just checked with a mock reservation for feb, 120 day booking is back for RSO

Last edited:

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
I feel like complaining, but I think I'm just going to be in the same confused boat as most of you all, so I'll just wait and watch this thread.

Just my thoughts:

-Any RSO that once had an expiration of 12/21 should not revert back under any condition.
-Those RSOs that had 120 day reservation window shouldn't change to 60, but if a new cancellation happens, fair game. But we need to know this info before we cancel something now.
-Reverting to the original cancellation policy for cancellations starting now or a date in the future is fine so long as it's clear that they would only be usable at 60 days.

My situation, I have an RSO reservation for Feb. I'm hoping to cancel and rebook for April, and was going to do so in dec. right at 120 days. If no availability, I'd keep the Feb dates. I just don't want to cancel then find out I can't rebook for another 60 days. I THINK these RSOs had an original expiration of 2021, but I don't recall for sure. Would suck if they reverted to a 12/20 expiration.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
So now it won't even work sending them a message via the Vistana "contact us site" says must have text and I do.............

Attachments

• IMG_7938.jpg
    IMG_7938.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 11

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
So now it won't even work sending them a message via the Vistana "contact us site" says must have text and I do.............

It appears you may have cut & pasted into the message text box. Some applications will not allow that.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I feel like complaining, but I think I'm just going to be in the same confused boat as most of you all, so I'll just wait and watch this thread.

Just my thoughts:

-Any RSO that once had an expiration of 12/21 should not revert back under any condition.
-Those RSOs that had 120 day reservation window shouldn't change to 60, but if a new cancellation happens, fair game. But we need to know this info before we cancel something now.
-Reverting to the original cancellation policy for cancellations starting now or a date in the future is fine so long as it's clear that they would only be usable at 60 days.

My situation, I have an RSO reservation for Feb. I'm hoping to cancel and rebook for April, and was going to do so in dec. right at 120 days. If no availability, I'd keep the Feb dates. I just don't want to cancel then find out I can't rebook for another 60 days. I THINK these RSOs had an original expiration of 2021, but I don't recall for sure. Would suck if they reverted to a 12/20 expiration.
I understand Vistana wanting to revert back to the standard policy if cancelled within 60 days at some point, I’m just asking for notice. An email communication with ample time to make changes and plan ahead. Sneaking in the date change in the Covid policy is just wrong. Tell us we have until xx date to make changes under the current Covid plan before going back to standard policy.

I have been cancelling reservations with restricted SO within 60 days because the travel policies at resorts and local governments are changing daily. I now have to test at my resort destination before coming home or face quarantine (that’s a me problem I get it). Everything is changing daily as is the increase in cases. Going back to the standard policy quietly while we are bracing for a huge second wave this winter is bad customer service.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On the Marriott side throughout these months of canceling COVID-impacted reservations every single transaction was a two-step process over a period of days, with the first immediate step triggering automatic notice - contrary to posted info - that the affected DC Points would be subject to the normal cancelation terms, and then the second notice and emails days later confirming the less-restrictive 120-day Reservation Window and 12/31/21 expiration date terms.

On the Vistana side were you seeing the same two-step delay? If so, bear in mind that anything you cancel today (hoping to take advantage of any grace period this IT mess has created) might not necessarily be correctly noted in your accounts until the second step is completed over the next few days. If not, I don't know what to tell you except do what Dioxide and Denise are telling you and take screen shots/printouts of what you're seeing as you go through the process.

I'm finding today that the phone lines are jammed AND the Marriott website is very glitchy with multiple, "website not available" screens coming up mid-processes. Patience is your friend. :)

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Hold time is 60 minutes. Waiting for them to call back. We shall see how this goes

Edit: just checked with a mock reservation for feb, 120 day booking is back for RSO

I believe we've had at least one post their mock reservation showed 120-day restrictions but when they did the actual cancellation it came back 60-day restricted and expiring 12/31/20. I'll try to find that post. It was either here on TUG or on Facebook.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
On the Marriott side throughout these months of canceling COVID-impacted reservations every single transaction was a two-step process over a period of days, with the first immediate step triggering notice that the affected DC Points would be subject to the normal cancelation terms and then the second notice and emails days later confirming the less-restrictive 120-day Reservation Window and 12/31/21 expiration date terms.

On the Vistana side were you seeing the same two-step delay? If so, bear in mind that anything you cancel today (hoping to take advantage of any grace period this IT mess has created) might not necessarily be correctly noted in your accounts until the second step is completed over the next few days. If not, I don't know what to tell you except do what Dioxide and Denise are telling you and take screen shots/printouts of what you're seeing as you go through the process.

I'm finding today that the phone lines are jammed AND the Marriott website is very glitchy with multiple, "website not available" screens coming up mid-processes. Patience is your friend. :)
I had cancellations in March and May that were subject to the new policy. In both cases there was just a single email confirming the cancellation. The online account originally showed the Restricted Star Options as having a December 31, 2020 expiry; however, this was changed within a couple of days to show a December 31, 2021 expiry.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On the Vistana side were you seeing the same two-step delay?
No - unless there was an unusual problem, the Staroptions would go back into the owner's account immediately, and the owner's accounting page would update immediately, and an automatic email would usually show up within a few hours.

Fortunately, we have 2 months before the end of the year to get things straightened out.

Patience, Grasshoppers!

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

Can you report back on the result?

I can validate that I checked yesterday, for a Harborside reservation, that the message had changed to 60 day cancel. When I mock cancel today for that same 2020 reservation, it now gives me the 120 day booking message.

-ryan