• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CHANGED - Reservation Cancellation Policy

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So it says this when I go to web site: Canceled Fixed, Ultra Premium, Specific Week or Event Use Rights will be reinstated as Floating Use Rights and villas based on availability. For more information about your ownership and reservation assistance, please call Owner Services. But of course they aren't open now to confirm--didn't cancel once I saw this---thoughts? It is a fixed week 52 at Harborside

Try this first - you are highly likely to get incorrect info if you call - plus you can't call until tomorrow, and you don't want to wait that long to resolve this.

Did you actually click on CANCEL? You can check the terms BEFORE to take the final step:

- Find the reservation in your account.
- Click: VIEW DETAILS
- Click: CANCEL RESERVATION (don't worry, this isn't the final step)
- On the next page, the cancellation terms will come up.
- Copy and paste them into a post for our review. (Close the Vistana window for now - don't proceed yet.)

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone have a screen shot of their "Account Balances" prior to 10/31?

This is what the fine print says on "Account Balances"

1604260299676.png

IIRC, we had two types of restricted options. One set with the 60 day restriction and another with 120 day. We made a recent reservation that used up the 60 day and a bunch of 120 day options. Though we still had some 120 day options remaining. This now simply show as follows;
1604260368563.png

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Try this first - you are highly likely to get incorrect info if you call.

Did you actually click on CANCEL? You can check the terms BEFORE to take the final step:

- Find the reservation in your account.
- Click: VIEW DETAILS
- Click: CANCEL RESERVATION (don't worry, this isn't the final step)
- On the next page, the cancellation terms will come up.
- Copy and paste them into a post for our review. (Close the Vistana window for now - don't proceed yet.)
I think because they are cancelling a fixed week reservation at Harborside, there may be some different rules and it may not look the same as those of use just cancelling a StarOption reservation. It will be interesting to see the cancellation terms if they can post them here.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does anyone have a screen shot of their "Account Balances" prior to 10/31?

This is what the fine print says on "Account Balances"

View attachment 28190

IIRC, we had two types of restricted options. One set with the 60 day restriction and another with 120 day. We made a recent reservation that used up the 60 day and a bunch of 120 day options. Though we still had some 120 day options remaining. Thos now simply show as follows;
View attachment 28191

That is the same fine print that was there previously.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That is the same fine print that was there previously.
Yes, I am aware of that. The fine print doesn't match the actual options that are restricted. I am trying to find out if anyone has a screen shot like my second one that shows the two buckets or spells out 120 restriction. Did it ever specify 120 day restriction? I think ours just had two buckets, one showing restricted expiring 12/31/2020 and another restricted expiring 12/31/2021. Never specified 60 day or 120 day restrictions.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This account has all of the different types of restricted Staroptions in it, and the terms have not changed:
1 Banked StarOptions® and Bonus StarOptions can be used to request a reservation eight months or less prior to check-in at any Vistana™ Signature Experiences villa resort, and expire on Dec. 31, two years after they are deposited. Bonus StarOptions may not be used to confirm reservations at Harborside Resort at Atlantis.

2 StarOptions that were restricted prior to March 12, 2020 are limited to requesting a new reservation within 60 days of the requested arrival date. Restricted Banked StarOptions and Restricted Bonus StarOptions expire on December 31, two years after deposited. Restricted StarOptions expire at the end of the Use Year and are not eligible for StarOptions banking or Marriott Bonvoy™ points conversion.

As of March 12, 2020, due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, reservations canceled within 60 days of arrival, will be returned as Restricted StarOptions and can be used for a future reservation within 120 days of arrival date. Any of these Restricted StarOptions that would have expired on December 31, 2020 have been extended for use through December 31, 2021.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
well I took the first step but did not actually do it because it had all these notes--I am hoping that my premium week 12/27-1/3 doesn't go to 60 days==I also own week 1 which is 1/2-1/9 and looks like I may get screwed on that one too......

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maria - If you copy and paste the terms here, we can advise you.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Here is what it says.Since you are confirmed to arrive within 56 day(s), the cancellation of this reservation will result in future usage restrictions.
As of March 12, 2020, due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, we are temporarily extending the 60-day restriction on StarOptions to 120 days. Reservations canceled 60 days or less prior to arrival will be returned as Restricted StarOptions and can be used for a future reservation within 120 days of arrival date. The expiration date of those returned Restricted StarOptions has also been extended for use through December 31, 2021. Additionally, cancellation fees are currently waived due to COVID-19.
Your Restricted StarOptions will not be eligible to be banked or to be converted into Marriott Bonvoy™ points.

Canceled Fixed, Ultra Premium, Specific Week or Event Use Rights will be reinstated as Floating Use Rights and villas based on availability. For more information about your ownership and reservation assistance, please call Owner Services.

2020 Restricted StarOptions to be Restored67,100
Based on government mandated restrictions - including resort closures - these options may not apply to all resorts. Due to continually changing conditions, these cancellation policies may be changed or modified as needed from time to time.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Did you take a screen shot of the terms?
Yes I did do a mock one to see and then decided to make it real as I couldn't find any flights to Cancun to suit us at the moment and yes I did take the advice on here and screen shot the C19 cancellation T&C it offered.

There is plenty of availability for Thanksgiving week so we might re-make the reservation in a couple of weeks if any flights transpire. Not really worried if the options don't get the C19 conditions as they were set to expire this year and not sure we'll be able to make use of them in 2021 with all the banking we've been doing on top of our normal ownerships.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Just checked again, still 60 says.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Here is what it says.Since you are confirmed to arrive within 56 day(s), the cancellation of this reservation will result in future usage restrictions.
As of March 12, 2020, due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, we are temporarily extending the 60-day restriction on StarOptions to 120 days. Reservations canceled 60 days or less prior to arrival will be returned as Restricted StarOptions and can be used for a future reservation within 120 days of arrival date. The expiration date of those returned Restricted StarOptions has also been extended for use through December 31, 2021. Additionally, cancellation fees are currently waived due to COVID-19.
Your Restricted StarOptions will not be eligible to be banked or to be converted into Marriott Bonvoy™ points.

Canceled Fixed, Ultra Premium, Specific Week or Event Use Rights will be reinstated as Floating Use Rights and villas based on availability. For more information about your ownership and reservation assistance, please call Owner Services.

2020 Restricted StarOptions to be Restored67,100
Based on government mandated restrictions - including resort closures - these options may not apply to all resorts. Due to continually changing conditions, these cancellation policies may be changed or modified as needed from time to time.
And I guess if I do this and I can go I can maybe use these restricted options since they are 2020 useage? But honestly this was a trip with my 3 grandchildren and I know at least two of them won't allow them to go. right now I have a SW flight BWI to FLL and had planned to just book Bahamasair from there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And I guess if I do this and I can go I can maybe use these restricted options since they are 2020 useage? But honestly this was a trip with my 3 grandchildren and I know at least two of them won't allow them to go. right now I have a SW flight BWI to FLL and had planned to just book Bahamasair from there.

Yes, this means that the Staroptions will automatically be rolled over to 2021, with a 120 day reservation window. You can use them in 2020 or 2021.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
My experience this morning was as follows. I cancelled a reservation for Thanksgiving week made with 120 day restricted options. The options were returned to my account with 60 day restrictions, despite the warnings on the cancellation screen saying they would be 120 day restricted options. So the messaging the Vistana site has not caught up with the application of the new policy.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
My experience this morning was as follows. I cancelled a reservation for Thanksgiving week made with 120 day restricted options. The options were returned to my account with 60 day restrictions, despite the warnings on the cancellation screen saying they would be 120 day restricted options. So the messaging the Vistana site has not caught up with the application of the new policy.

When do the restricted StarOptions expire?

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
Robert,
they expire in 2021. The expiration date did not change. Also, there was no fee.

markus

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Same experience and I’m super annoyed. It’s pretty bad they snuck that in there. Especially since MVC policy was cancel by 11/1. I’m hoping it’s an error and not Typical Marriott CS.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick observation - just because the options you used had a 120 day + 12/31/21 expiry does not mean they retain that status after you book.

I have a feeling after you cancel now, it may revert back to the policy that is currently in effect which is expire this year for the above reservation and 60 days. Of course. I am not certain but there is no guarantee that your options will retain the previous status.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Quick observation - just because the options you used had a 120 day + 12/31/21 expiry does not mean they retain that status after you book.

I have a feeling after you cancel now, it may revert back to the policy that is currently in effect which is expire this year for the above reservation and 60 days. Of course. I am not certain but there is no guarantee that your options will retain the previous status.

Good luck.

That should have been communicated and communicated with enough time before making the change back to the old way.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
That should have been communicated and communicated with enough time before making the change back to the old way.
Not arguing with that point for sure.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Not arguing with that point for sure.

I don’t mind the change as I get they can’t keep it forever but geez, cases are spiking and holiday travel is constantly changing. Give us a heads up so we know “use it or lose it” or Cancel and deal with 120 restrictions.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Yes, this means that the Staroptions will automatically be rolled over to 2021, with a 120 day reservation window. You can use them in 2020 or 2021.
Well I did it and now it shows those points show expiring this year so guess I am screwed...............I plan to call tomorrow since it is a deeded week 52 and their policy changed just in time for me to be in this position. I am beyond pissed off. And oh by the way if you have any interest in going to Harborside for Christmas lots of availability.
So if I now book again with these restricted options what happens with those?? UGH

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I did it and now it shows those points show expiring this year so guess I am screwed...............I plan to call tomorrow since it is a deeded week 52 and their policy changed just in time for me to be in this position. I am beyond pissed off. And oh by the way if you have any interest in going to Harborside for Christmas lots of availability.
So if I now book again with these restricted options what happens with those?? UGH

If Vistana doesn't extend the expiration to 2021, you might be able to deposit the restricted staroptions to II as long as they are from a complete week. I had the option to deposit restricted staroptions before this update, but don't have a complete week left to check.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you book with restricted and cancel within 60 days now it’s back to the old policy it seems. Vistana It went down hill once Marriott took over. Instead of copying vistana superior IT, it seems they Implemented MVC “inferior IT”

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
If Vistana doesn't extend the expiration to 2021, you might be able to deposit the restricted staroptions to II as long as they are from a complete week. I had the option to deposit restricted staroptions before this update, but don't have a complete week left to check.
I have never used interval and not even sure I belong......as a Harborside owner fees are so high that i always use my weeks. I was able to cancel my week one because today is 61 days.