• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CHANGED - Reservation Cancellation Policy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I just went in to 'mock' cancel a reservation starting in 21 days and it still gave me the COVID cancellation conditions of no fee and return of options with 120 day booking window through 12/31/2021 :unsure:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Somehow it has reverted since last night:

I just checked some Staroptions that were rolled over to 2021 under the C19 policy: Last night they were limited to a 60 day reservation window, and today they are back to 120 days.

I just did a mock cancel of a December reservation: It showed the C19 cancellation policy.

What is going on?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

I just checked some Staroptions that were rolled over to 2021 under the C19 policy: Last night they were limited to a 60 day reservation window, and today they are back to 120 days.

I just did a mock cancel of a December reservation: It showed the C19 cancellation policy.

What is going on?
I still can’t use restricted SO. I cancelled a 12/27 check in on 10/31. I am trying to book a few nights in Orlando in Feb and I cannot use those restricted SO. I was able to last week. Yesterday and today, the only SO usage available to use for the feb booking is 2021 and unrestricted banked SO.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

What is going on?
I still can't make a reservation that is between 60 and 120 using the 12/2021 restricted options.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
You have to go into the current policies where it says they can be changed at any given time. It seems it was updated with reservations with a check in after 11/1/2020. Not an end date of 10/31, so reservations with a check in date of Christmas cancelled on 10/31 would be subject to the 60 days restriction apparently. If that’s the case, I now have 80K SO with 60 day restrictions, no longer 120. I also have a room booked with 65K SO at the harborside which isn’t even open yet, well, the Atlantis isn’t opened. Harborside resort is not a destination within itself. Atlantis is the draw, without that, I may as well stay home.

Again, a data point from a Marriott account - the most recent Destination Club Points reservation that I cancelled two weeks ago was for a 12/2/20 check-in, and in my account those points are still today in a COVID-related Holding Account with the 120-day Reservation Window and 12/31/21 expiration date. It appears that in Marriott accounts the factors are cancellations processed prior to 11/1/20 and within 60 days of check-in, and *not* whether the check-in date is before/after 11/1/20.

To me whatever is happening in Vistana accounts that's causing changes to points already in your COVID-related Holding Account (or whatever it's called in Vistana language) prior to today's policy change, is an IT issue. The more they hear from you guys the quicker it'll be resolved. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Sue - Thanks for your input. The super weird thing is that the policy change seems to have reverted back to the C19 policy this morning - at least on some accounts.

For those of you with discrepancies, I recommend using the message function on the dashboard, rather than calling, because the more senior Reps. answer the Dashboard messages, and you are more likely to get an accurate response. You really can't count on any answer you get from a phone Rep.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another something to think about ... with each cancellation in my Marriott account (and judging by TUG posts from other Marriott people,) it took a few days for the affected points to be updated with the special C19 Holding Account rules. With what you're seeing all over the map I wonder if they're trying to make corrections but have to process the updates in several manual steps?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just went in to 'mock' cancel a reservation starting in 21 days and it still gave me the COVID cancellation conditions of no fee and return of options with 120 day booking window through 12/31/2021 :unsure:
This is what I am seeing too. However if you cancel, you won't pay the fee, but are the points really available to use for a reservation 120 days out?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Sue - Thanks for your input. The super weird thing is that the policy change seems to have reverted back to the C19 policy this morning - at least on some accounts.

For those of you with discrepancies, I recommend using the message function on the dashboard, rather than calling, because the more senior Reps. answer the Dashboard messages, and you are more likely to get an accurate response. You really can't count on any answer you get from a phone Rep.

Maybe their first step in correcting is that they had to reverse the 11/1/20 policy change after they realized it's automatically reverting your points to the pre-C19 cancellation terms? And that'll be followed by a set of manual steps that ultimately land your accounts where they're supposed to land?

On the bright side, maybe while they figure out how to make the change work in Vistana accounts the way it's working in Marriott accounts, you guys will have a couple extra days to squeak in cancellations with the more-favorable terms? That'd be good. :)

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I still cannot use restricted StarOptions to make reservations between 60 and 120 days out. I could before yesterday. I did not make any changes or cancellations recently.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue - Vistana doesn't have holding accounts - you only have one account, and all cxld Staroptions go back in the same account with your regular unrestricted Staroptions. But they can have different terms for future use, and that is itemized in a spreadsheet section on the dashboard (owner's online account.) Vistana doesn't use the term "holding accounts" for restricted Staroptions - but I think it may be the same thing?

This is conundrum for people with holiday reservations that they want to use if possible, but were counting on using the C19 cancellation policy, if they can't go due to the C19 situation. :ponder:

*There is a nice red wine called "Conundrum" - I think we need some! :D

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue - Vistana doesn't have holding accounts - you only have one account, and all cxld Staroptions go back in the same account with your regular unrestricted Staroptions. But they can have different terms for future use, and that is itemized in a spreadsheet section on the dashboard. Vistana doesn't use the term "holding accounts" for restricted Staroptions - but I think it may be the same thing?

This is conundrum for people with holiday reservations that they want to use if possible, but were counting on using the C19 cancellation policy, if they can't go go due to the C19 situation. :ponder:

*There is a nice red wine called "Conundrum" - I think we need some! :D

Marriott uses the term "Holding Account" in our accounts because it's a defined term in Marriott's Destination Club points system, and similar to Vistana, various cancellation policies have different usage rules for points returned via cancellations. Also similar, the DC Points from these C19 cancellations are returned to our regular accounts but notated differently - in mine they all show as, "Elected Points in 120 day Holding Account" and the cancellation emails confirm the 12/31/21 expiration date.

I agree that this change stinks for anybody holding future reservations that still could be impacted by C19, but I'm not surprised that they're ending the more-favorable cancellation terms. 2021 is already looking like a challenge because so many extended-expiration points are mixing in with regular 2021 Use Year points, and I imagine the last thing they want is to be dealing for multiple years with irate owners who won't be able to find availability to replace the reservations they lost this year. Plus Marriott's furthest Reservation Window is 13-mos out, and I'd guess they're looking to be well and done with the availability headaches due to these extra points by January, 2022 at the latest.

IF they are generous at all going forward now I'd expect it will happen only with resorts that aren't actually open, but even then I wouldn't guarantee it because historically they've not been generous that way with owners/guests who lost reservations when resorts closed due to hurricanes, etc. A definite conundrum. :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Again, a data point from a Marriott account - the most recent Destination Club Points reservation that I cancelled two weeks ago was for a 12/2/20 check-in, and in my account those points are still today in a COVID-related Holding Account with the 120-day Reservation Window and 12/31/21 expiration date. It appears that in Marriott accounts the factors are cancellations processed prior to 11/1/20 and within 60 days of check-in, and *not* whether the check-in date is before/after 11/1/20.

To me whatever is happening in Vistana accounts that's causing changes to points already in your COVID-related Holding Account (or whatever it's called in Vistana language) prior to today's policy change, is an IT issue. The more they hear from you guys the quicker it'll be resolved. :)
I Hope and feel it’s an IT error. The fact that people who have not made any cancellations are having the same 60 day restriction issues leads me to believe that is the case.

The confusion lies in the wording. It just states that reservations with a check in after 11/1/2020 are subject to the standard cancellation policy. Correct me if I’m wrong, MVC policy stated cancellations after 11/1? That would have been fair. While I feel the COVID policy has been fair, I disagree with ending it now. We are beginning a possible second wave. Extending it through the winter months and adjusting if cases begin to slow would be ideal. Ending it when we are spiking again isn’t exactly “travel friendly”.
6E457509-756A-4B26-AEC5-2EC771324F7C.jpeg
0E4EE6B9-D660-4AF2-94C4-E36E0FB530C0.jpeg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I Hope and feel it’s an IT error. The fact that people who have not made any cancellations are having the same 60 day restriction issues leads me to believe that is the case.

The confusion lies in the wording. It just states that reservations with a check in after 11/1/2020 are subject to the standard cancellation policy. Correct me if I’m wrong, MVC policy stated cancellations after 11/1? That would have been fair. While I feel the COVID policy has been fair, I disagree with ending it now. We are beginning a possible second wave. Extending it through the winter months and adjusting if cases begin to slow would be ideal. Ending it when we are spiking again isn’t exactly “travel friendly”. View attachment 28185View attachment 28186

This has been so confusing right from the start. I haven't been able to make heads or tails out of what they post and what they say when you call them, other than the only consistency has been in what my account shows several days following all the cancellations processed within 60 days of check-in and prior to whatever date is posted on the days I called. Between original reservations being booked/cancelled and replacement reservations being booked/cancelled, my account has about twenty affected reservations and I've spoken to Marriott reps who've told me wrong information for at least a third of those. That's the only good thing I see about this policy ending before COVID19 is resolved - maybe I won't be bonking my head off the desk so many times next year.

Over the years we've been able on the Marriott forum to piece together while they're happening a few different changes to Marriott IT structures, but mostly they don't make sense until after all is said and done. With your Vistana accounts I think I'm seeing that they implemented this change and realized too late that it reverted existing points status incorrectly, so last night they reversed the change but in doing so brought that status incorrectly all the way back to the normal 60-day cancellation terms. Now they have to do whatever manual step they've had to do all along to bring that status to 120-days again, followed by whatever they come up with that will revert upcoming cancellations to the normal terms while not impacting existing points from all the previous C19 cancellations. Piece of cake, right? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
This has been so confusing right from the start. I haven't been able to make heads or tails out of what they post and what they say when you call them, other than the only consistency has been in what my account shows several days following all the cancellations processed within 60 days of check-in and prior to whatever date is posted on the days I called. Between original reservations being booked/cancelled and replacement reservations being booked/cancelled, my account has about twenty affected reservations and I've spoken to Marriott reps who've told me wrong information for at least a third of those. That's the only good thing I see about this policy ending before COVID19 is resolved - maybe I won't be bonking my head off the desk so many times next year.

Over the years we've been able on the Marriott forum to piece together while they're happening a few different changes to Marriott IT structures, but mostly they don't make sense until after all is said and done. With your Vistana accounts I think I'm seeing that they implemented this change and realized too late that it reverted existing points status incorrectly, so last night they reversed the change bringing that status incorrectly all the way back to the normal 60-day cancellation terms. Now they have to do whatever manual step they've had to do all along to bring that status to 120-days again, followed by whatever they come up with that will revert upcoming cancellations to the normal terms while not impacting all the existing C19 cancellations. Piece of cake, right? :ROFLMAO:
Yes! Piece of cake! A piece of old, stale dried up cake haha.

I, with you, have multiple reservations and cancellations due to covid. I think I’m up to nearly 15! The only consistency I have found was being able to use 9 AC’s for Orlando and Aruba. Lucky me hit titanium bonvoy for next year. I hope they figure it out and revert back to 120 day Booking option or else I’ll be in Orlando all winter.

Do you want to know the thing that makes me nuts? My new RCI ownership/account has been seamless through all of Covid. I was not expecting that at all.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
You have to go into the current policies where it says they can be changed at any given time. It seems it was updated with reservations with a check in after 11/1/2020. Not an end date of 10/31, so reservations with a check in date of Christmas cancelled on 10/31 would be subject to the 60 days restriction apparently. If that’s the case, I now have 80K SO with 60 day restrictions, no longer 120. I also have a room booked with 65K SO at the harborside which isn’t even open yet, well, the Atlantis isn’t opened. Harborside resort is not a destination within itself. Atlantis is the draw, without that, I may as well stay home.
So I own week 52 at Harborside and my flights have been cancelled by SW and I was holding on hoping we would see some movement on reopening of Atlantis. So now my premium deeded week 52 now has a 60 day use period and I have to pay to cancel--well that is some crappy customer service.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
So I own week 52 at Harborside and my flights have been cancelled by SW and I was holding on hoping we would see some movement on reopening of Atlantis. So now my premium deeded week 52 now has a 60 day use period and I have to pay to cancel--well that is some crappy customer service.

Not only is it 60-day restricted but the restricted StarOptions expire 12/31 of the current use year which means the restricted StarOptions will expire 12/31/20.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
That’s the frustrating part for the harborside. You’re at the mercy of Atlantis opening because that is the draw. However, according to a HRA employee, they are taking check ins currently. In the eyes of Vistana, the resort is open. The airline screwing us with cancellations messes things up for our lodging reservations. They go hand in hand, they are all kind of screwing the whole industry with cancellations, closings, quarantines, etc. all we can do is roll with it and be flexible

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Not only is it 60-day restricted but the restricted StarOptions expire 12/31 of the current use year which means the restricted StarOptions will expire 12/31/20.
Nutso right? You would think they would have sent a blast email like hey hey hey we are changing so make your final plans now. I don’t like them sneaking the change in. At least have the policy change to cancellations AFTER 11/1

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Nutso right? You would think they would have sent a blast email like hey hey hey we are changing so make your final plans now. I don’t like them sneaking the change in. At least have the policy change to cancellations AFTER 11/1

Yes, at least they could have done the same as MVC and indicate it was reverting to the standard cancellation policy at the end of each month and then walking that forward each month. Then we could have been on notice! On October 24 I received an email response to my question of is the policy ending on Oct 31 and now reading that response with 20/20 hindsight see that Vistana didn't really say anything: "I can advise that the current cancellation policy is considered temporary and may be updated or altered at any time; however, I can also advise that no specific date for a policy change has been announced." Duh!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you cancel right now, it looks like the current functional policy is still 120 restricted expiring on 12/31/2021. JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE SCREEN SHOTS!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
If you cancel right now, it looks like the current functional policy is still 120 restricted expiring on 12/31/2021. JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE SCREEN SHOTS!
So it says this when I go to web site: Canceled Fixed, Ultra Premium, Specific Week or Event Use Rights will be reinstated as Floating Use Rights and villas based on availability. For more information about your ownership and reservation assistance, please call Owner Services. But of course they aren't open now to confirm--didn't cancel once I saw this---thoughts? It is a fixed week 52 at Harborside

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Well I just made my mock cancellation for real so it'll be interesting to see what happens. T&C shown were the C19 ones and I wasn't asked to pay a fee but so far options are showing as returned but nothing about 2021/120 days.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you take a screen shot of the terms?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Well I just made my mock cancellation for real so it'll be interesting to see what happens. T&C shown were the C19 ones and I wasn't asked to pay a fee but so far options are showing as returned but nothing about 2021/120 days.
Did you do a mock cancellation or a real cancellation? Sounds like you made a real cancellation.