• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Change to timeshare rental verification sticky and page request

VacayKat

Reaction score

On the above page there are a few things that most owners who rent will not do, and are unnecessary to getting a trustworthy rental. (there is a LM request that has a discussion about this, which is part of why I am posting)

Can it be updated to remove things like ‘notarized rental agreement’ and ‘copy of deed’ [I don’t even have a wyndham deed for my ownership - as far as I know they don’t send them].

If that really is sound advice for renters and it is decided that the page will not be removed, can there at least be an addendum added that most owners will feel these are arduous and will be unlikely to share personal documents like deeds (and if their info is blacked out there is great photoshop tools to manufacture that any way) or be willing to incur the expense of notarizing a contract.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

VacayKat

Reaction score
It does sound that is a bit much .... but there ain't nothing personal about a deed. It is by design a public document.
If you have one to share- like I said, Wyndham has never given me one even though I own a hawaii contract and therefore have to be deeded.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think if you are doing a $5000+ rental you might want to (and the owner might be more obliged to comply with) get(ing) more of the items on the list. They aren't bad ideas just impractical to get more than one or two of the items for most relatively low cost/low profit rentals.

VacayKat

Reaction score
I think if you are doing a $5000+ rental you might want to (and the owner might be more obliged to comply with) get(ing) more of the items on the list. They aren't bad ideas just impractical to get more than one or two of the items for most relatively low cost/low profit rentals.
But how often does that really happen? Especially in the LM forums?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
What some folks would be willing to do to secure a 5000 dollar rental is likely more than someone would be willing to do for a 500 dollar one. There is quite simply no way to author an article that covers each and every possible situation, we simply do our best.

The idea is to provide options and suggestions that give the renter and or owner a level of comfort before money changes hands. if that cannot be established on both sides, I would always urge not moving forward period as it is simply not worth the risk. While that does not require 100% compliance with all suggestions, if there is stiff resistance on either side for even the most basic steps of the rental process, you should not proceed with that rental period.

In fact every single rental scam that has been reported was a result of either none of the suggestions being attempted, or one side chose to ignore the red flags that were uncovered applying some or all of the suggestions in the article. We are always happy to make updates to things on TUG that make things better for all owners!

also note that the article was not written for the LMR section specifically, but all timeshare rentals.

VacayKat

Reaction score
What some folks would be willing to do to secure a 5000 dollar rental is likely more than someone would be willing to do for a 500 dollar one. There is quite simply no way to author an article that covers each and every possible situation, we simply do our best.

The idea is to provide options and suggestions that give the renter and or owner a level of comfort before money changes hands. if that cannot be established on both sides, I would always urge not moving forward period as it is simply not worth the risk. While that does not require 100% compliance with all suggestions, if there is stiff resistance on either side for even the most basic steps of the rental process, you should not proceed with that rental period.

In fact every single rental scam that has been reported was a result of either none of the suggestions being attempted, or one side chose to ignore the red flags that were uncovered applying some or all of the suggestions in the article. We are always happy to make updates to things on TUG that make things better for all owners!

also note that the article was not written for the LMR section specifically, but all timeshare rentals.
I think some version of your second paragraph would be a great addition to the page. For me, doing a LMR, or even a further out rental on the marketplace, I’d never do a notarized contract but I would do one with all of both party’s info on it and have it signed. While it sucks to give out your email/address/phone to mostly strangers, that plus a signature will hold up in most courts. Especially with a paper trail (which can be screenshots of the chat history here on the bbs or emails). For folks renting out a lot, investing in a P.O. Box would be worth it to protect your privacy.
And I get the idea behind the deed, I really do, but owners don’t always receive this. So someone not having one shouldn’t always be a red flag.
Lastly, I’d add something to the effect of: as a renter who secures a rental with a deposit and asks for proof of name change before paying the full fee, if this occurs and you change your mind and do not pay the whole fee, you should consider that deposit to be non-refundable due to the cost associated with guest certificates.

Alternatively, instead of trying to incorporate my suggestions, would a draft with the revisions be helpful? And would you consider a LMR specific advice page in addition to the one on TUG?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I made a few changes to the actual page itself last night to make some minor adjustments, but they are all living documents that can be updated at any time.