• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Change in MVC ownership tiers

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Early on they had some of the units at Surfwatch listed incorrectly and some completed enrollment at the wrong levels. I never heard whether they honored the incorrect points amount that were listed, does anyone know for sure what happened there?

Those were 2BR Weeks which in the IT system were incorrectly allotted the amount for 3BR's. The corrections to both the DC allotments and resulting status tiers were made within a week or so of them learning of it. As an owner of 3BR weeks at SW, believe me I would have fought for additional DC Points in my allotments if they hadn't made the corrections.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those were 2BR Weeks which in the IT system were incorrectly allotted the amount for 3BR's. The corrections to both the DC allotments and resulting status tiers were made within a week or so of them learning of it. As an owner of 3BR weeks at SW, believe me I would have fought for additional DC Points in my allotments if they hadn't made the corrections.
So they did not honor the points for those that enrolled with the higher amount listed?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So they did not honor the points for those that enrolled with the higher amount listed?

No, they didn't allow the incorrect allotments of those Weeks to stand in owners' accounts. I went looking through the "they have done it!" monster thread to find the SW 2BR/3BR issue. It turns out that your SW 2BR Week was affected, and you and several others posted in that thread that your allotments were reduced when the IT correction was made. There was one TUGger who went through and deleted all his/her posts about enrolling based on the incorrect/higher allotment, because s/he didn't like that some of us were questioning why the error should stand.

So now I'm confused, can't figure out if you don't remember your week being affected? Or maybe you're asking as someone who didn't enroll prior to the correction, was the same correction made in the accounts of those who did? I also might be a little bit paranoid, if you're intimating that Marriott didn't adjust downward the incorrect allotments but swore all of you to an NDA that required you to post on TUG that they had?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I'd say you're a lot more excited by it than we ever were. After all, what we purchased way back when was a week's usage which we still have and choose to exchange for the points value to use as we please on a yearly basis. So we have exactly what we paid for and the option to convert it to points came many years after the purchase. I would suggest that your contention that the DC Points allotments of enrolled weeks have only been assigned once is incorrect; that I know from experience. I don't do the day-to-day work on our bookings, that my wife does. I did just go on the website and found this: Palm Beach Shores, Florida | Season: Silver | Floorplan: 2BR + 2BA | View: Ocean Side View. From what it says if we want to trade the week in for Vacation Club Points in 2021 it's worth 3,050 points. I think originally it had been valued at 3,150 points. Somewhere in the building a week was made 100 points more valuable or maybe those 100 points were spread across multiple units, I would have no idea. At one point we ascertained that we got a better value for our investment by using those points elsewhere. I have no case to make in protesting the realignment as I didn't suffer anything I was entitled to - had it impacted CC I would feel very much differently.

In any case, thank you for your interest in this matter. You've always been a well-spoken moderator around here <g>. I appreciate your effort.

No, thank YOU for putting up with my questions about this. :)

When the DC was first introduced one of the criticisms of it as it relates to enrolled Weeks was, "but they can change the Weeks allotments of DC Points anytime! Do you really trust Marriott to NOT devalue DC allotments, when we've seen them devalue everything else?!" It was a valid concern and something that many of us have been watching for since the DC inception. Until now there hasn't ever been anyone on TUG saying that it happened to their Weeks (and honestly, now that you're saying it did, I'm surprised that more people haven't jumped in here.) That's why I'm trying to pinpoint the details of your experience.

I'm not questioning whether you should or shouldn't be happy with whatever adjustments are in your account, but I do wonder if there isn't some confusion about how the grandfathering of Chairman's Club status in your account happened. It's practically a guarantee that 99.9% of DC-enrolled members who participate on TUG would have immediately posted about seeing an adjustment, especially a downward adjustment, in the DC Points allotment of enrolled Weeks. This isn't to say that you should have posted in order to satisfy our curiosity, only to say that it's surprising to hear it may have happened years ago without anyone on TUG being aware of it. Because as you say, an adjustment in one value would impact the value of others.

For the sake of discussion, the spreadsheet that @StevenTing maintains shows the value of your Week as 3,050. I'd be interested to know if there's a historical record that reflects a 3,150 value at the DC inception?

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Yes, the particular week that we own decreased in point value by 100 points. My understanding is that the total number of points assigned to the property is fixed but that within that total allotment, there exists the management option of redistributing the points within the property. So some weeks/units went up, some went down. This particular week is our first purchase done so long ago I couldn't even guess but there were no points at that time so it's not like we purchased it at a certain point value, the points were assigned afterward. In the interim, we had purchased additional properties and then points in order to get to CC and as long we remain there we're fine with it.

I don't know of any change in the number of DC point allotments that can be elected by owners at Ocean Pointe. I only know of the adjustment of points needed to make reservations being altered around major holidays. You may be getting the two confused.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, thank YOU for putting up with my questions about this. :)

For the sake of discussion, the spreadsheet that @StevenTing maintains shows the value of your Week as 3,050. I'd be interested to know if there's a historical record that reflects a 3,150 value at the DC inception?
I have owned a Silver 2BR Oceanside and enrolled it at the inception of the program. I went back through my yearly timeshare spreadsheets and the point allocation has always been 3050 since 2011. I think that was the first year I had maintenance fees after the DC program introduction.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When the DC was first introduced one of the criticisms of it as it relates to enrolled Weeks was, "but they can change the Weeks allotments of DC Points anytime! Do you really trust Marriott to NOT devalue DC allotments, when we've seen them devalue everything else?!" It was a valid concern and something that many of us have been watching for since the DC inception. Until now there hasn't ever been anyone on TUG saying that it happened to their Weeks (and honestly, now that you're saying it did, I'm surprised that more people haven't jumped in here.) That's why I'm trying to pinpoint the details of your experience.
The question is, when did the downgrade by 100 DC points happen. Was it in those first couple weeks like the 2BR SW?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The question is, when did the downgrade by 100 DC points happen. Was it in those first couple weeks like the 2BR SW?

In his first post about this issue, dgf says that their original total DC Points allotment was 13,000 then, "a few years back when they were adjusting point values one of our early purchases (Ocean Point) was decreased by 100 points leaving us with 12,900." So it doesn't seem as though this is similar to the SW 2BR/3BR issue at rollout where an obvious IT error affected every one of those particular SW weeks?

The only blanket adjustments ever talked about on TUG were the changes in status tiers that happened in 2015, when (in addition to other threshold changes) the threshold for Chairman's Club was set at 15,000, and those who were already enrolled and fell in the 13,000-14,999 range as Premier Plus members were grandfathered to CC. If dgf's total is actually 13,000 and none of his weeks allotments were reduced, it makes sense that his current CC status was grandfathered at that time. But I can't make any sense out of a single week's allotment being reduced by 100 with that adjustment not triggering the correct status tier adjustment for a 12,900 total at the same time.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't recall seeing that those who actually enrolled at the time with the higher amount were cut back, if I did, I didn't recall seeing it. It was just a few days it was listed that way IIRC. I didn't do the enrollment online at that moment because I had questions and uncertainties. I think there are 2 sides but I could have seen them going either way.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. I don't recall seeing that those who actually enrolled at the time with the higher amount were cut back, if I did, I didn't recall seeing it. It was just a few days it was listed that way IIRC. I didn't do the enrollment online at that moment because I had questions and uncertainties. I think there are 2 sides but I could have seen them going either way.

At least on TUG there weren't any reports of someone's enrollment being finalized and then subsequently corrected because of the SW 2BR/3BR IT issue. It was found early on and corrected almost immediately, within the first two weeks of the DC rollout. There were a few like you who saw the error and its correction before filing for enrollment, and there was the one guy who posted a couple days before the correction that he was immediately enrolling and daring Marriott to correct what we all saw as an obvious IT error. But the day after his submission he got an email saying that his enrollment wouldn't go through because of this IT error. He was surprised, I think, to find that most TUGgers didn't agree with him that Marriott should have allowed his account to stand uncorrected, because after that he went through and deleted all of his posts about it.

I feel the same way about the SW 2BR/3BR issue now as I did then - it was such an obvious IT error that affected only that one particular Week/interval and it was noticed almost immediately, so Marriott did the right thing by correcting the error across the board within days of learning that it existed.