• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Change in MVC ownership tiers

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
They recently got many people to try off with 4,000 for Select level... I'm not sure how true the memo is... and usually I will get them to put those terms they mentioned in writing...
Last year at a presentation in Orlando I was convinced that moving to the select level would open up all kinds of possibilities. It sounded reasonable, but every single representation by the sales rep turned out to be false. The reality is the select level did nothing except get me more points. I was also told that in order to get me to the select level, they would secretly sell me 1,500 points something I was told they don't do anymore. I was being done a favor by a guy that told me he was not a salesperson but a management person in charge of customer service. Am I an idiot or what?

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Last year at a presentation in Orlando I was convinced that moving to the select level would open up all kinds of possibilities. It sounded reasonable, but every single representation by the sales rep turned out to be false. The reality is the select level did nothing except get me more points. I was also told that in order to get me to the select level, they would secretly sell me 1,500 points something I was told they don't do anymore. I was being done a favor by a guy that told me he was not a salesperson but a management person in charge of customer service. Am I an idiot or what?

Here's the MVC benefits chart:
https://www.marriottvacationclub.co...rshipLevelsResources/benefits_at_a_glance.pdf

Oddly, the main benefit of Select to me has nothing to do with MVC. It's the Bonvoy Platinum Elite offered with Select.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/member-benefits.mi
The free breakfasts have been a nice perk, though I wish it could be expanded to include kids.

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
So I asked the AP sales side if there is any upcoming big change of level, which they mentioned no new changes that they know of.

Well nothing is confirmed as usual, but I believed that usually any changes will be an enhancement for existing customers and they will just lift the level higher for newcomers, No?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)

We must have had the same rep back in December - my BS meter went haywire with all of the buzzwords he used like "VIP status" which doesn't exist and showed us a bunch of thank you emails from his "clients" that he did all kinds of over and above things for. :rolleyes:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista

We must have had the same rep back in December - my BS meter went haywire with all of the buzzwords he used like "VIP status" which doesn't exist and showed us a bunch of thank you emails from his "clients" that he did all kinds of over and above things for. :rolleyes:

It sounds like the guy I had in Orlando, only it was years ago before points. The whole bit about being some sort of manager who had special powers that would enable him to do us a favor, etc. etc. etc. We also got to see a list of "thank yous" from past clients, and he kept bugging me after we got home to write a nice letter about him because he would get $500 (don't remember the exact amount) whenever he got a positive letter from a client. He asked several times but I finally told him "No - You haven't DONE anything for us!" To this day I remember his name and I had to request that his name be removed from our account.

Was his first name Michael, by any chance?

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
Oh My God...the guy we worked with also went on and on about VIP status and the terrific service I would get because MVC reservations would know I was VIP when I called. He spent so much of the time talking about it and how it would help me get into resorts that others would have a problem with. He also said don't call for 30 days because it takes that long to get the VIP status into the system. All of it 100% BS.

I wish I could remember his name because he also told me to call him personally if I have any problems as he was not a salesperson but a "manager" in charge of customer service. I tried to call him a few times early on as we were being closed out of several of the resorts we wanted when we bought the extra points. Resorts, by the way, he told us he can get us into. Specifically, he said he could get us into the Ritz Carlton in Aspen in June. What do you think the result was?

I feel like such a schmuck!

These presentations represent the worst of the worst. Marriott does not own the vacation clubs anymore, so there is no one to complain to. I think, though, if I did complain to MVC about the outrageously false presentation this guy did....they would probably give him a bonus!

Last edited:

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
It sounds like the guy I had in Orlando, only it was years ago before points. The whole bit about being some sort of manager who had special powers that would enable him to do us a favor, etc. etc. etc. We also got to see a list of "thank yous" from past clients, and he kept bugging me after we got home to write a nice letter about him because he would get $500 (don't remember the exact amount) whenever he got a positive letter from a client. He asked several times but I finally told him "No - You haven't DONE anything for us!" To this day I remember his name and I had to request that his name be removed from our account.

Was his first name Michael, by any chance?[/

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh My God...the guy we worked with also went on and on about VIP status and the terrific service I would get because MVC reservations would know I was VIP when I called. He spent so much of the time talking about it and how it would help me get into resorts that others would have a problem with. He also said don't call for 30 days because it takes that long to get the VIP status into the system. All of it 100% BS.

I wish I could remember his name because he also told me to call him personally if I have any problems as he was not a salesperson but a "manager" in charge of customer service. I tried to call him a few times early on as we were being closed out of several of the resorts we wanted when we bought the extra points. resorts, by the way, he told us he can get us into. Specifically the Ritz Carlton in Aspen in June. What do you think the result was?

These presentations represent the worst of the worst. Marriott does not own the vacation clubs anymore, so there is no one to complain to. I think, though, if I did complain to MVC about the outrageously false presentation this guy did....they would probably giver him a bonus!
Whilst Marriott International do not own the Marriott Vacation Clubs any more, they do still license the Marriott brand name for use by the timeshare business, so both companies should be concerned about anything which negatively impacts the brand image.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista

I wish I could remember his name because he also told me to call him personally if I have any problems as he was not a salesperson but a "manager" in charge of customer service. I tried to call him a few times early on as we were being closed out of several of the resorts we wanted when we bought the extra points. Resorts, by the way, he told us he can get us into. Specifically, he said he could get us into the Ritz Carlton in Aspen in June. What do you think the result was?

I'm guessing it was the same guy and he must still be there. He also promised us that he could personally get us into a resort we wanted during a school vacation week (of course it never happened). I kept calling him to ask when he was going to (magically) get us the desired trade and he would just harp about me having not sent a glowing letter yet. Finally that's when I told him he hadn't done anything for us yet. Yes, I too, feel like a schmuck. The guy's name was Michael and his last name started with A.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
I'm guessing it was the same guy and he must still be there. He also promised us that he could personally get us into a resort we wanted during a school vacation week (of course it never happened). I kept calling him to ask when he was going to (magically) get us the desired trade and he would just harp about me having not sent a glowing letter yet. Finally that's when I told him he hadn't done anything for us yet. Yes, I too, feel like a schmuck. The guy's name was Michael and his last name started with A.
My guys name was Ron.....I think

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
In my entire business life I have never been lied to like I was at that presentation. It will never happen again.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don’t need to provide them an extra day to come up with an excuse. I’m impatient like that. I need instant gratification. :whooopie:

That's funny! Sorry I missed it earlier.

I will say that we made Chairman's Club some years back with 13,000 points on the nose. It was worked out excellently for us as we've traveled and received really terrific treatment, upgrades and etc. A few years back when they were adjusting point values one of our early purchases (Ocean Point) was decreased by 100 points leaving us with 12,900. True to their word, they have continued to classify us as CC.

It is a sorry state of affairs when so much BS is passed out by sales and people have to come here to get a more realistic assessment of their options. I can't believe that even if you confront the sales rep who made up this stuff that they haven't insulated themselves well enough to be able to ascribe it to a misunderstanding.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

I will say that we made Chairman's Club some years back with 13,000 points on the nose. It was worked out excellently for us as we've traveled and received really terrific treatment, upgrades and etc.

Just want to be clear that you got upgrades at vacation club properties? Or did you get upgrades at arriott hotels because of the platinum, now titanium status?

What are the other benefits of chairmanships club that are not listed in the printout? I am really curious because we just qualified for chairmans and got almost nothing at select.

We have have been platinum premiere when it was an unpublished level. Didn't get me anything more than when we were platinum. The best part of being plat premiere was getting United Airline gold status. Besides that, nothing different from being platinum. Now Titanium has had some good rewards. We have gotten 4 free 40k nights to use so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I will say that we made Chairman's Club some years back with 13,000 points on the nose. It was worked out excellently for us as we've traveled and received really terrific treatment, upgrades and etc. A few years back when they were adjusting point values one of our early purchases (Ocean Point) was decreased by 100 points leaving us with 12,900. True to their word, they have continued to classify us as CC.

It is a sorry state of affairs when so much BS is passed out by sales and people have to come here to get a more realistic assessment of their options. I can't believe that even if you confront the sales rep who made up this stuff that they haven't insulated themselves well enough to be able to ascribe it to a misunderstanding.

About what's bolded - do you mean that the allotment for your enrolled Ocean Pointe week was changed sometime after the amount designated at the DC rollout? I don't think I remember them ever changing allotments (other than a few that had to be corrected when they were flat-out wrong at the rollout, like the SurfWatch 2BR's that were mistakenly given the amount designated for 3BR's. The status tiers for accounts affected by those IT corrections were adjusted at that time, not grandfathered.)

{ETA} In 2015 the status tiers were adjusted so that the 13,000 threshold for Chairman's Club was raised to 15,000, but they grandfathered existing accounts which had met the initial threshold. (See the DC Membership Status Tiers section in the TUG DC Points FAQ.) This could explain the grandfathering in your account, but doesn't explain a subsequent change in an enrolled Week's allotment that would have reduced your total allotment to 12,900.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Our Ocean Pointe value as an enrolled week hasn't changed since inception.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Ocean Pointe value as an enrolled week hasn't changed since inception.
There has certainly never been any change in the points value assigned to any of the weeks in the 5x MVC resorts we own.
(much as I wish that our Caribbean resort weeks should have been reassigned upwards)

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best part of being plat premiere was getting United Airline gold status.

Gold or silver? We were platinum maybe platinum premier and then moved to titanium. I don’t think we ever went above silver on United.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Gold or silver? We were platinum maybe platinum premier and then moved to titanium. I don’t think we ever went above silver on United.
Plat premiere about 2 years ago got gold status. It was only for a couple years then when plat premiere became a published level it got changed to silver status the next year.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
About what's bolded - do you mean that the allotment for your enrolled Ocean Pointe week was changed sometime after the amount designated at the DC rollout? I don't think I remember them ever changing allotments (other than a few that had to be corrected when they were flat-out wrong at the rollout, like the SurfWatch 2BR's that were mistakenly given the amount designated for 3BR's. The status tiers for accounts affected by those IT corrections were adjusted at that time, not grandfathered.)

{ETA} In 2015 the status tiers were adjusted so that the 13,000 threshold for Chairman's Club was raised to 15,000, but they grandfathered existing accounts which had met the initial threshold. (See the DC Membership Status Tiers section in the TUG DC Points FAQ.) This could explain the grandfathering in your account, but doesn't explain a subsequent change in an enrolled Week's allotment that would have reduced your total allotment to 12,900.

Yes, the particular week that we own decreased in point value by 100 points. My understanding is that the total number of points assigned to the property is fixed but that within that total allotment, there exists the management option of redistributing the points within the property. So some weeks/units went up, some went down. This particular week is our first purchase done so long ago I couldn't even guess but there were no points at that time so it's not like we purchased it at a certain point value, the points were assigned afterward. In the interim, we had purchased additional properties and then points in order to get to CC and as long we remain there we're fine with it.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Yes, the particular week that we own decreased in point value by 100 points. My understanding is that the total number of points assigned to the property is fixed but that within that total allotment, there exists the management option of redistributing the points within the property. So some weeks/units went up, some went down. ...
What you're describing sounds like what happens with the Points Charts that stipulate how many DC Points are required for a desired stay. Those charts are reviewed annually and adjustments are made to offset floating holidays within each resort's individual chart.

As far as we know, similar adjustments haven't ever happened with the amount of DC Points that are allotted to enrolled Weeks. Seriously, I don't remember EVER hearing about such a thing. If it did happen it would be shocking! That's why I'm keeping at this, because you're the first to report something happening that would have made MANY, MANY people sit up and take notice.

Can you tell us what the Week is? You've said Ocean Pointe but the season? View? Unit size? If we know that maybe we can figure out the confusion?

This particular week is our first purchase done so long ago I couldn't even guess but there were no points at that time so it's not like we purchased it at a certain point value, the points were assigned afterward. In the interim, we had purchased additional properties and then points in order to get to CC and as long we remain there we're fine with it.

The thing that's so difficult to let go, again, is that the DC Points allotments of enrolled Weeks have only ever been assigned once. The values that were in place at the rollout are, as far as we know, the same values still in place today. They're not subject to annual review or adjustments or re-assignations or any kind of change, so it's honestly shocking to hear you talk about it so nonchalantly.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you tell us what the Week is? You've said Ocean Pointe but the season? View? Unit size? If we know that maybe we can figure out the confusion?

Well, I'd say you're a lot more excited by it than we ever were. After all, what we purchased way back when was a week's usage which we still have and choose to exchange for the points value to use as we please on a yearly basis. So we have exactly what we paid for and the option to convert it to points came many years after the purchase. I would suggest that your contention that the DC Points allotments of enrolled weeks have only been assigned once is incorrect; that I know from experience. I don't do the day-to-day work on our bookings, that my wife does. I did just go on the website and found this: Palm Beach Shores, Florida | Season: Silver | Floorplan: 2BR + 2BA | View: Ocean Side View. From what it says if we want to trade the week in for Vacation Club Points in 2021 it's worth 3,050 points. I think originally it had been valued at 3,150 points. Somewhere in the building a week was made 100 points more valuable or maybe those 100 points were spread across multiple units, I would have no idea. At one point we ascertained that we got a better value for our investment by using those points elsewhere. I have no case to make in protesting the realignment as I didn't suffer anything I was entitled to - had it impacted CC I would feel very much differently.

In any case, thank you for your interest in this matter. You've always been a well-spoken moderator around here <g>. I appreciate your effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
That is BS of promising clients to do things over and above after the sale. You would be lucky to even be able to contact them despite getting their "persoanl cell phone number". Only one sales rep that we have ever dealt with have we stayed in touch with and been able to occasionally get a Marriott Friends and Family form for reduced hotel rates from him. Hate to be so negative, but we have all been there!

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. The after the sale line has always been BS with us. The line about not being able to generate enough hotel points with your current portfolio is another sign that you should decline doing any business with the Rep you are talking to. They know you have enough and do not have your interests at heart. Forget about any follow up on promises if you didn’t buy. They need to move on to the next line of prospects and you are a dead lead to them .

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Early on they had some of the units at Surfwatch listed incorrectly and some completed enrollment at the wrong levels. I never heard whether they honored the incorrect points amount that were listed, does anyone know for sure what happened there?