• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Change in MVC ownership tiers

micromacguy

Reaction score
Assuming you are buying resale points thru a private transaction and pay all the fees? Yes, you are enrolled as a points member just as if you purchased via Marriott.

Assuming you are buying resale week thru a private transaction? No, only Marriott can "energize" a resale week into points.

IMHO the best bang for the buck are resale weeks, but always buy where you really like to go......

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am looking at buying Destination Points and want to be sure that are are no restrictions attached vs. buying though Marriott Sales. Assuming I pay all Marriott fees, is the use of the Destination Points the same as if I purchased them through Marriott Sales.

You are absolutely correct, if you buy a resale titled week (i.e buying a 1BR OV at Marriott Ko Olina), you will not be able to trade the unit for Destination points or for Marriott points. If anyone buys a deeded week via resale, I agree that it needs to be somewhere you plan to use.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am looking at buying Destination Points and want to be sure that are are no restrictions attached vs. buying though Marriott Sales. Assuming I pay all Marriott fees, is the use of the Destination Points the same as if I purchased them through Marriott Sales.
Currently, they are treated the same. That said, according to the docs, they do have the ability to treat them somewhat differently. Anybody's guess if they ever will. This link to an older post lays it out for you to ponder..... (Note that at that time, the junk fees were $2/point, now they are $3/point, so wanted to make sure I clarified that).

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/marriott-resale-dc-point-benefits.270814/#post-2111734

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

They function the same, I have mostly resale points.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Yes indeed, I too have read all those posts.
I am sure many sales people have been presenting this argument.
Who knows, it may even come to fruition?
I only believe what my contracts and MVC corporate have to say though.
So I will disbelieve until one of these confirms otherwise.
We shall see.

As a U.S. based owner, I don't recall anything in my contracts that says they cannot do what is being discussed (or guarantees me that they won't). Perhaps someone more familiar with the various owner documents can provide more insight about what is prohibited or guaranteed for Direct Members and Exchange Members of the Destination Club.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The original post indicated that ...'Chairmans club was going away', .

Got it. I hadn't heard Chairman's Club (as an ownership level) was going away in any of my presentations with MVC, but I had been told a new ownership level above Chairman's (and/or an increase in the number of points required) is coming. Worst case scenario, I could see them changing the name of Chairman's Club but don't see how it could ever be done away with. People who own that many points have to be called 'something'.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you buy on the resale mkt and pay all the Marriott fees, are you enrolled as a points member the same as if you bought through Marriott sales, or are there restrictions I'm not aware of.

The owner documents reference some restrictions that can be imposed on resale points (even if you paid all of the Marriott fees), but so far they have not appeared to invoke them. So, at present, resale points that have had all fees paid have been functioning no differently than points purchased directly from MVC. However, per the documents, there are some usage restrictions that can be imposed on resale points (if/when MVC chooses to).

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Currently, they are treated the same. That said, according to the docs, they do have the ability to treat them somewhat differently. Anybody's guess if they ever will. This link to an older post lays it out for you to ponder..... (Note that at that time, the junk fees were $2/point, now they are $3/point, so wanted to make sure I clarified that).

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/marriott-resale-dc-point-benefits.270814/#post-2111734

I seem to recall that the primary fee for resale points was allocated as $500 per Beneficial Interest (250 points) purchased with a guaranteed minimum fee of $3,000 (which would equate to having to purchase at least 6 BIs - or 1,500 points). Does anyone know if MVC has allowed anyone to pay the $3,000 to enroll less than 1,500 points (or are they sticking to the 1,500 point minimum purchase - discussed somewhere in the owner documentation)?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I seem to recall that the primary fee for resale points was allocated as $500 per Beneficial Interest (250 points) purchased with a guaranteed minimum fee of $3,000 (which would equate to having to purchase at least 6 BIs - or 1,500 points). Does anyone know if MVC has allowed anyone to pay the $3,000 to enroll less than 1,500 points (or are they sticking to the 1,500 point minimum purchase - discussed somewhere in the owner documentation)?
The fee is $750 per BI or $3 per point. You can purchase as few points as you want, the documentation indicates that you won't have full usage of those points through the exchange company unless you pay the fees. Unless you own a base interest (2 BIs for legacy week owners or 6 BIs for first time buyers), then you can only reserve 60 days out. However, I would expect if reserving pure trust points, you would have unfettered reservation rights. The problem is that Marriott usually drops most of the trust inventory in to the exchange company pretty far out.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The fee is $750 per BI or $3 per point. You can purchase as few points as you want, the documentation indicates that you won't have full usage of those points through the exchange company unless you pay the fees. Unless you own a base interest (2 BIs for legacy week owners or 6 BIs for first time buyers), then you can only reserve 60 days out. However, I would expect if reserving pure trust points, you would have unfettered reservation rights. The problem is that Marriott usually drops most of the trust inventory in to the exchange company pretty far out.

Does this mean that MVC has dropped the $3,000 minimum fee for 'enrollment' of any resale points?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Does this mean that MVC has dropped the $3,000 minimum fee for 'enrollment' of any resale points?
The minimum still exists as far as I know.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The minimum still exists as far as I know.
Yea, minimum still there. I should have also included that in my post.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
According to Marriott, a point is a point. So if you’re an enrolled owner that can elect points or a Destination points owner, they BOTH have equal access to all resorts. The nonsense that the sales people use to scare you into thinking that you won’t have access to future resorts because you don’t have expensive DC points is a fallacy and sales tactic. I have been down this road.

Pus, those people who have bought the points/weeks hybrid would have a pretty good leg to stand on in court if that was suddenly true. Nevertheless, enrolled points can do all that DC points do and will do so in the future.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
According to Marriott, a point is a point. So if you’re an enrolled owner that can elect points or a Destination points owner, they BOTH have equal access to all resorts. The nonsense that the sales people use to scare you into thinking that you won’t have access to future resorts because you don’t have expensive DC points is a fallacy and sales tactic. I have been down this road.

Pus, those people who have bought the points/weeks hybrid would have a pretty good leg to stand on in court if that was suddenly true. Nevertheless, enrolled points can do all that DC points do and will do so in the future.
True be fair, a point certainly isn't a point. At least not in a technical/legal sense. In a practical sense, they are all about the same. THough there have been some reported instances where legacy points couldn't get a reservation where trust points could. Though I agree, it is a sales tactic to try to sell more points.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
True be fair, a point certainly isn't a point. At least not in a technical/legal sense. In a practical sense, they are all about the same. THough there have been some reported instances where legacy points couldn't get a reservation where trust points could. Though I agree, it is a sales tactic to try to sell more points.

Yes, I remember those rare instances and they were early in the program. Marriott did initially try to not make a point a point. However, they have abandoned that nonsense since and now a point is truly a point. The people who make the reservations do not even make any distinction between trust points and legacy points. If there was a situation where a reservation could not be made with enrolled points, I am sure that it’s a glitch and could just be cleared up by calling owner services and legacy points could just as easily be used.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I remember those rare instances and they were early in the program. Marriott did initially try to not make a point a point. However, they have abandoned that nonsense since and now a point is truly a point. The people who make the reservations do not even make any distinction between trust points and legacy points. If there was a situation where a reservation could not be made with enrolled points, I am sure that it’s a glitch and could just be cleared up by calling owner services and legacy points could just as easily be used.

I haven't seen anything in writing about restricting the ability to reserve MVC properties based on the type of points you own. However, there is language that would allow MVC to restrict resale points (even if all of their 'fees' have been paid) from accessing usage options other than reserving an MVC property (such as certain Explorer Collection options). However, I don't believe there are nearly as many people that care about that as would care about being able to actually book MVC inventory. I agree, that blocking resale points from being able to book MVC inventory is probably the last thing they would try and restrict (if they legitimately could).

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
It is now Sept 1st. I don’t believe tier levels have changed. I suggest that OP contact sales person and ask them about their previous comment.

Steve, at least give it until Tuesday. Geesh! It’s a holiday weekend!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
It’s Tuesday and still no changes to the benefit levels. Did that memo have a year along with the month on it?

Memos with a MVC header mean nothing. I thinking anyone I. The sales office can type one up. I’ve seen several memos and articles over the years but MVC had generally not stooped to the level. It’s to bad they appear to have sunk that low now.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It’s Tuesday and still no changes to the benefit levels. Did that memo have a year along with the month on it?

Memos with a MVC header mean nothing. I thinking anyone I. The sales office can type one up. I’ve seen several memos and articles over the years but MVC had generally not stooped to the level. It’s to bad they appear to have sunk that low now.

I’m not saying I believe the rumor is true, but just because it is Sept 3 doesn’t necessarily mean anything. As I recall, when they changed to the current tiers it was quite a while (weeks, months?) before official communications to owners from corporate. At first the details of the tiers came from charts at owner updates. So, until someone attends a Sept update and reports back, we can’t be sure.

I may be wrong in my recollection, but that’s how I remember it.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I’m sure it will change........ eventually. It just won’t be off of some memo a salesman shows a prospect trying to get them to buy additional points.

luv2trvl2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just came from a presentation at Canyon Villas in Phoenix 9/7. Rep also said that levels are changing. He noted current levels for Select at 4000 and Executive at 7000 and Chairman at 10000 minimums. Said that levels are expected to increase by 1500 points when they fold in ILG Starwood and Hyatt resorts by year end. They told us rates were unconfirmed but expected to rise from 14.54 current point price to anticipated $18+ After we declined and accepted our $250 reward, the rep told us that the changeover date was uncertain and may not occur until 1st or 2nd Qtr of 2020 even though they are told year end for the level change. They did offer us a special preview only rate of $12.50/pt plus a special 35 anniversary year incentive of either 100k hotel points or 2000 MVC pts. Then they offered to double it to 200k or 4000 pts. O mention of Chairman level going away. That’s the offer we declined.

Curious what the cost of points is on the resale market. If we buy points there, does it roll into our current offering without any issues? We currently have 1 Enrolled week at DSV1 worth 2375 points and 2000 Trust points which has us at the Select level. So with 4375 points we would need 2625 points to get to the current Executive level. Trying to see if Executive level is worth it.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious what the cost of points is on the resale market. If we buy points there, does it roll into our current offering without any issues? We currently have 1 Enrolled week at DSV1 worth 2375 points and 2000 Trust points which has us at the Select level. So with 4375 points we would need 2625 points to get to the current Executive level. Trying to see if Executive level is worth it.

We bought 1500 resale points to get to Presidential level. We paid $6.14 per point including all MVC junk fees. We thought it would be worth it to get 30% discounts 60 days out.

If we ever go to another sales presentation, my wife also wants to be able to tell the salesperson the we are already Presidential tier, and have absolutely no interest in achieving whatever the next level may be. Maybe it will make the sales presentations less painful.

Edit: BTW, we had a really unpleasant presentation at Canyon Villas. Very hard sell, and I wasn't feeling well. I had to get pretty gruff in order to escape.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just came from a presentation at Canyon Villas in Phoenix 9/7. Rep also said that levels are changing. He noted current levels for Select at 4000 and Executive at 7000 and Chairman at 10000 minimums. Said that levels are expected to increase by 1500 points when they fold in ILG Starwood and Hyatt resorts by year end. They told us rates were unconfirmed but expected to rise from 14.54 current point price to anticipated $18+ After we declined and accepted our $250 reward, the rep told us that the changeover date was uncertain and may not occur until 1st or 2nd Qtr of 2020 even though they are told year end for the level change. They did offer us a special preview only rate of $12.50/pt plus a special 35 anniversary year incentive of either 100k hotel points or 2000 MVC pts. Then they offered to double it to 200k or 4000 pts. O mention of Chairman level going away. That’s the offer we declined.

“Chairman at 10000 minimum”? It is currently 15000+.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we buy points there, does it roll into our current offering without any issues?

Generally, yes, as long as the resale points use year matches the use year of the points you have, you give them the correct names, and, correct account number.