• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chances of trade into Sanibel/Captiva/Marco island?

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an ongoing search right now, for the last week of June (2009) and the entire month of July. What do you think my chances are in trading into Sanibel, or Capitva or Marco Island?

From when I have been able to read, they look like hard trades. Im trading another Gold Crown week (summer in Myrtle Beach).

Any thoughts on places I should AVOID?

Thanks!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Normally, your odds would be slim. However, with the economy being the way it is, there may just be more units available for trade than normal. Wait until January or so once people decide they would rather bank their weeks than travel.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Your chances are very good. If you have a Myrtle Beach week, you're golden.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
By now you've tried for an instant exchange, and couldn't connect. So, you had to pre-pay the RCI fee for an ongoing search, and still haven't come up with anything. You're certainly not "golden", but wait it out for a while.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, Ill wait it out. Just makes me nervous. Ive had to search before, and always had luck.

If I wanted to go later in the summer, I could exchange into many units. But with pregnany plans, we need to really go in the beginning of the summer.

Hopefully, Ill get something soon. I just wonder if Im too late? If all the units have gone already.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We traded into Sanibel for the last week in June pretty easily. Summer is the off season for the area. We also rented a hotel right on the water at Fort Myers Beach dirt cheap in August one year.

I would think you have a good chance.

On the other hand, if you'll be pregnant, you may want to reconsider. I'm not sure I'd go back at that time of year because of the heat. It really wears on you. I'd rather go somewhere cooler, maybe Cape Cod. You can usually get into there in June because their season starts late June or early July.

Sheila

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Just keep in mind, summer is hurricane season around here, and the worst weather weeks during the summer are the most likely you will connect. Even if there isn't a hurricane, your chances of having a rainy week are greatest as you get into the August/September time frame. Don't mind me - I just LIVE hERE.

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a 2009 4th of July week on Sanibel in April, I think I'd had an ongoing search for a few months, I needed that week specifically. I thought I saw a sighting for another resort in the last few weeks for that timeframe. Last year I got a last minute week on Sanibel for the same time, there were several exchangers at the resort the same week, they sent out a list. I think if you have many resorts you are willing to take, you have a pretty good chance.

TomR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sea Six: Your post tells me I may have made a big mistake. I had a good exchange into Lake Tahoe for August 2009, but when I saw availability in Sanibel for the same time period I made an immediate switch. I knew it would be hot, hot, hot, and I was aware of the hurricane season, but I didn’t really think that my entire week could be a wash out. When you say rainy week, are you talking about periodic thundershowers or about the possibility of constant rain throughout the week? I always wanted to get to Sanibel but would like to see more than the inside of a Casa Ybel unit.

Tom

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
TomR: We spent last week in Sanibel. Sunday was a bit rainy, as was Monday, but we still got in beach and shelling time. Monday became a shopping day. Tuesday we did everything on the beach we wanted to do. The same for Wednesday. Thursday and Friday were gorgeous days.

I participate in the Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board. Since the beginning of August, there have been no reports of complete week washouts, but several trip reports mentioning afternoon showers but otherwise the opportunity to enjoy the weather and local activities.

Casa Ybel looks to be a very nice resort on a very nice stretch of beach.

HTH. :)

Ron Donze

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
trade chances for Marco or Sanibel

Your chances are much better for Marco than Sanibel... Much less Sanibel supply in RCI than Marco.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im hoping for one of the HGVC in Marco. They look really nice.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have seen many deposits of the Hiltons for summer. I don't see any reason why you cannot pull those.

TomR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bwolf. I expected the afternoon showers. Don’t plan on doing much except lying out on the beach and enjoying some good restaurants at night. Looks like we will not be disappointed.

Tom