• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cellular or Satellite Phone Coverage in the Caribbean

markmaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I are spending the last week of March in Jamaica this year. We always have some type of issue come up at home whether it's a sick elderly mom or one of our so-called grown children need to speak with us about something. We use Verizonwireless for our cell service, but am not sure what to do while traveling anymore. Suggestions? Has anyone ever bought a phone from www.mobalrental.com and used it with success? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

toni3063

TUG Member
Reaction score
markmaine said:
or one of our so-called grown children need to speak with us about something.
Exactly the reason that we're thinking about leaving our cell phone at home! ;)

markmaine said:
We use Verizonwireless for our cell service, but am not sure what to do while traveling anymore. Suggestions?
Mark
We have Verizon also and are interested in how to add and how much the charge is to have the international long distance added, and can you do it for 1 month only (since one of the elderly mothers and the so-called grown child shares our family plan), or... does it make more sense to take a calling card (in which case we can call them but they can't call us)?

markmaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mom's 82 and lives in an assisted living home, but hasn't been well this year. Last year during our vacation in St. Maarten our son called from college saying that he totalled the Jeep I had let him use! Every years it's been something! I have a message into Verizonwireless to see about the calling to and from Jamaica. I wonder if I get a dual CDM and GSM phone that I'll have better luck? I'll share what I find out from Verizon. If anyone has had any experience in this, please let me know.

Mark

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mark-

You may want to check about renting a phone on island. Most of the Carbbean islands have Cable & Wireless for phone service. Up until recently they had a virtual monopoly on all service such that even ATT phone cards don't work. Some islands have in the last 1-2 years started to allow competition. Check with them below.

http://home.cwjamaica.com/index.php

Another thought is Internet access, at least for the kids. Most resorts have computer access and I always take my laptop along. On two islands while staying at resorts without computers, I was able to arrange for 2-3 weeks of unlimited access as an island visitor. I had to contact them ahead of time and set it up, but was a great saving over going to an Internet Cafe for someone like me who had to spend an hour an day online for work.

caddie

Reaction score
Another suggestion that has been discussed elsewhere on Tug is called Skype. It is an internet service where you can talk computer to computer or computer to phone line. It is free to set up (www.skype.com) and all you need to place calls via your computer is a headset with a microphone. If you know you'll have internet access, this is a great tool. They charge you by the minute based on the destination you are calling to. Makes no difference where you are calling from. To call the U.S. using Skype is about 3 cents per minute, far better than any calling card rate or cell phone. Basically, you give them a deposit via credit card and then they subtract money as you use it. Check it out!

markmaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the message that I received from Verizonwiress:
=====================================================
Verizon Wireless offers an international roaming service that enables customers to use their tri-mode or all digital wireless phones to make and receive calls when roaming in select countries. Jamaica is included on the list for international roaming!
For information regarding service availability and rates, please click on the "International Services" link below. This site will also offer you assistance with dialing instructions when using your International Roaming
service:
www.verizonwireless.com/internationalprice
Since Verizon Wireless is not the service provider, we cannot guarantee network availability or the functionality of calling features, such as Voice Mail notification or Caller ID. Delivery charges for international incoming calls while roaming also apply.
Also, in order to roam while in Jamaica please:
1. Call Customer Service 800-922-0204 to add i-dial(International
dialing)
to your account.
2. A day before your trip, dial *228 and send from your wireless phones and select option 2.
=======================================================
Message 2:

I have reviewed your account and found that the phone you have is a duel-band phone. This all digital phone is compatible to work while in Jamaica. Please keep in mind that since Verizon Wireless is not the service provider, we cannot guarantee network availability or the functionality of calling features, such as Voice Mail notification or Caller ID. Delivery charges for international incoming calls while roaming also apply.

Dorothy

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pinestead Reef, Players Club HH, Mountainside VIllas, Legacy Spas
Mark,
Had the same happen to us while we were on vacation in China. I had taken my Tri-mode Verizon phone along for calls in Seattle and Vancouver. Was very happily surprized that I could make calls from China to back home, -especially since we had a family emergancy and couldnt' fly back. The bill was steep - $349 for eight plus hours of calls, but there was no way we could get to an airport to return home fast enough. Because of our travels, I always have to argue with the sales rep as to WHY I want a tri-mode phone. Being able to connect to older phone technical specs is my main reason.

markmaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which model phone do you have? I have an LG VX3200 which is a dual-channel phone and they told me it would work as well, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

Dorothy

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pinestead Reef, Players Club HH, Mountainside VIllas, Legacy Spas
I have the Motorolla V710, but what I was "lusting" after was the E84 that came out too late for me to get. My old unit had died and I have to have a replacement ASAP and couldn't wait. I also like the camera system and the fact that I could add extra memory to the phone for the camera., Not that the pictures are the best, but in a pinch, you can at least capture a picture.

trachda

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a CDMA phone service provider in the US such as Verizon or Sprint, the most cost effective travel solution is to buy an unlocked GSM phone from e-bay and buy a prepaid sim card at your destination. Make sure the GSM phone is triband 900 and 1800 mhz for most of the world and 1900mhz for north america and parts of the Carribbean. The following link shows prepaid providers worldwide.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/index.html

douglasmhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club De Soleil
Garza Blanca
Vidanta GB
Villa Resorts
Marriott Ko Olina
Just wanted to jump in and recommend "whatsapp". this is a great application for audio and video calls or texts and only requires wifi access. I greatly prefer this app to Skype. Skype can be a hassle to add people, and whatsapp uses a telephone number to create an account, so if you allow the app access to your phone contacts, everyone you know with whatsapp will immediately populate in your phone. Also, because it requires a valid phone number (unlike skype), it isn't preferred by spam callers. Spam calls / messages are why i avoid skype. if you have any questions, please feel free to respond here of DM me.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody else notice this thread was resurrected from 17 years ago by a spamming newbie who stayed on TUG less than a half hour?