• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cell phone plan for Europe

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
DD will be spending 5 nights in Barcelona and 10 nights in Italy in about a week.

Two questions:

1. Verizon international plan allows you to use your cell phone for $10 a day. Does anyone know how good Verizon coverage is likely to be in Barcelona and Italy.

2. Can you recommend a phone plan/data plan for her to sign up while in Europe, in which case she'll swap out sim cards.

Thank you for your help.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My daughter and I just returned from Switzerland. We purchased SIM cards when we arrived. I just researched the wireless companies in Switzerland and chose SwissCom as it is supposed to be the largest. They had a location at the train station which was open on Sunday, which is when we arrived. Their other locations were closed that day. It cost me 20 CHF, and that covered 10 days of data and phone usage. We were there for two weeks so I needed to top off the account, and that cost another 10 CHF. I thought the cost was very reasonable. Certainly better than the $10 per day for Verizon.

I know the plans will be different in Spain and Italy, but we just kind of went with what they offered when we got there.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
My husband is doing international trip right now for 7 days and we are paying $10/day with AT&T.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you go with Verizon for $10/day, your daughter would pay around $150. That is if she uses the phone every day, which I assume she will be.

Check out this article/blog about SIM cards in Europe.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I travel abroad I rent a portable Wifi device when I'm there. I can share it with whoever I'm traveling with. We carry it with us all day so we have Wifi coverage wherever we go. Cheap and easy. Can pick up and return at airports.

If you have an iPhone you are still connected with your iMessage . You can make phone calls etc with WhatsApp or FaceTime, etc.

I've had good luck with Teppy. https://www.endlessdistances.com/the-best-international-hotspot-for-travel-a-tep-wireless-review/

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
When I travel abroad I rent a portable Wifi device when I'm there. I can share it with whoever I'm traveling with. We carry it with us all day so we have Wifi coverage wherever we go. Cheap and easy. Can pick up and return at airports.

If you have an iPhone you are still connected with your iMessage . You can make phone calls etc with WhatsApp or FaceTime, etc.

I've had good luck with Teppy. https://www.endlessdistances.com/the-best-international-hotspot-for-travel-a-tep-wireless-review/
If I read the article correctly the cost for the lowest amount of data is $8.95/day. That doesn't sound so cheap. I was paying 2 Swiss francs per day for data and phone.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We get along just fine on our T-Mobile plan. Unlimited talk and text and throttled data. We usually find a freebie wi-fi when we need to stream or download large files.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I read the article correctly the cost for the lowest amount of data is $8.95/day. That doesn't sound so cheap. I was paying 2 Swiss francs per day for data and phone.
I like that I can connect multiple devices to it

Brett

Reaction score
We get along just fine on our T-Mobile plan. Unlimited talk and text and throttled data. We usually find a freebie wi-fi when we need to stream or download large files.

good to know

"T-Mobile made headlines a few years ago when it started offering free and unlimited international data, text, and cheap international calls with most of its plans. This made T-Mobile a very popular choice for budget travelers."

https://thesavvybackpacker.com/how-to-use-smartphones-data-plans-sim-cards-europe/

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
DD will be spending 5 nights in Barcelona and 10 nights in Italy in about a week.

Two questions:

1. Verizon international plan allows you to use your cell phone for $10 a day. Does anyone know how good Verizon coverage is likely to be in Barcelona and Italy.

2. Can you recommend a phone plan/data plan for her to sign up while in Europe, in which case she'll swap out sim cards.

Thank you for your help.
I live in Portugal and I use T mobile. Have used them for years and excellent. I thought Verizon was pricey. I gave my plan for free wifi calls, unlimited data , texts etc... its worth it.

Last edited: