• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cataract Surgery - Would you do it now?

mrsstats

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I need cataract surgery - vision is getting worse but I still can see. I was scheduled to have it the end of May and now it was pushed to mid June. There are rules from the hospital about having to self quarantine for 3 days prior to surgery and after have the Covid 19 test. Just not sure if this is the best time to do this or should I just wait. What would you do?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Interesting you bring this up. I was told a couple of years ago I would need cataract surgery but so far it hasn't bothered me enough to have it. Lately the eye that needs the surgery has been feeling "gummy". I don't know if that has anything to do with the cataracts or not. I have an eye exam scheduled for the end of June. I may need to make a decision at that point.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Mom was scheduled for March 23, and had it cancelled at the last minute. They called her last week and the cataract surgery was done Monday and she was seeing well when we saw her yesterday. Her situation was getting desperate because a garden fungus destroyed her other eye three years ago and the cornea transplant was not a success. She (in Los Angeles) had no quarantine or testing requirements, just lots and lots of the same questions over and over.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I need cataract surgery - vision is getting worse but I still can see. I was scheduled to have it the end of May and now it was pushed to mid June. There are rules from the hospital about having to self quarantine for 3 days prior to surgery and after have the Covid 19 test. Just not sure if this is the best time to do this or should I just wait. What would you do?
How bad is your vision? How fast is it getting worse? When do you think would be a better time? You don’t want to get into a position that you cannot see and the virus situation is worse and you cannot have the surgery. There is no time in the near future that it will be better. If you vision has steadily been getting worse I would do it now.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
My cataracts are finally getting to the point that I was ready to have the surgery and was planning to have my eyes done this spring or summer. Like the OP they still aren't bad enough to make having the surgery anywhere near being urgent. If the cataracts continue to progress at the rate they have been I can easily put it off for another year or two.

Two years ago our eye doctor offered to justify me if wanted them done even though my cataracts aren't that bad because I have keratoconus and it makes getting a prescription my eyes will except challenging. I only need my glasses to drive because they give me better depth perception and a little better distance vision. I don't mind wearing glasses and also wear them when we go out somewhere I get dressed up for because they add some color to my face as I'm very fair skinned. The reason I haven't had my eyes done before this is because I'm reluctant to have lenses implanted. I'm not concerned about whether or not Medicare and our supplemental insurance will cover it. I have one eye that sees better close up and the other better farther away. If I have the lenses implanted they told me that they will correct my distance vision and I won't be able to read without reading glasses. I'd rather wear glasses on the occasions I drive than have to wear them as much as I read and am on the computer.

Has anyone had the bifocal lenses implanted recently and have they improved? The last time I talked to the eye doctor about them he wasn't recommending them. I had hoped by waiting to have my eyes done that they would have improved the bifocal lenses.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
My cataracts are finally getting to the point that I was ready to have the surgery and was planning to have my eyes done this spring or summer. Like the OP they still aren't bad enough to make having the surgery anywhere near being urgent. If the cataracts continue to progress at the rate they have been I can easily put it off for another year or two.

Two years ago our eye doctor offered to justify me if wanted them done even though my cataracts aren't that bad because I have keratoconus and it makes getting a prescription my eyes will except challenging. I only need my glasses to drive because they give me better depth perception and a little better distance vision. I don't mind wearing glasses and also wear them when we go out somewhere I get dressed up for because they add some color to my face as I'm very fair skinned. The reason I haven't had my eyes done before this is because I'm reluctant to have lenses implanted. I'm not concerned about whether or not Medicare and our supplemental insurance will cover it. I have one eye that sees better close up and the other better farther away. If I have the lenses implanted they told me that they will correct my distance vision and I won't be able to read without reading glasses. I'd rather wear glasses on the occasions I drive than have to wear them as much as I read and am on the computer.

Has anyone had the bifocal lenses implanted recently and have they improved? The last time I talked to the eye doctor about them he wasn't recommending them. I had hoped by waiting to have my eyes done that they would have improved the bifocal lenses.
Hi Jan,

Back around 1999 I had laser surgery performed to correct my nearsightedness when I was not able to wear contact lenses any longer. They performed mono-vision correction - one eye for reading, one eye for distance. Over time, both eyes became 20/20 for distance and I needed reading glasses. That was a disaster having to carry or put glasses in every room. I went back to a single contact lens for reading and when the time came for correcting my cataract (only one eye required the surgery) I requested that they put a lens that would correct me for reading. It has been 3 years since the surgery and I am very happy having my mono-vision back. When I need to renew my driver's license, my eye doctor gives me a letter stating that I have mono-vision correction and they do not have me close one eye for the eye test. I was not very comfortable with a permanent correction with bifocal lenses so the mono-vision worked for me.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have severe allergies, I've been having shots since around 1980 and probably will continue having them for my life time.

A flare up affecting my eyes coincided with a late spring and the cataract operation on one eye made things extremely difficult.

Depending where you are and if you suffer from allergies, this early to late summer period and dead of winter periods are ideal time periods to schedule for the proceedure.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The majority of people who have cataract surgery wish they'd dome it earlier. If your doc/hospital has you self-quarantine for 3 days and get tested, it's a win-win. Get it done and over with. You won't miraculously get the eyes of a 18 year old. You'll need some correction to read. But your distance vision should be very close to 20-20. I had Lasik 20 years ago and would never go back.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Get it done and over with.
I agree. I've had both eyes done about 15 years ago and those two cataract surgeries were probably the easiest surgeries I've had, and I've had a few others.
I was doing monovision with contact lens prior to cataract surgery so the surgeon implanted lens for monovision. It has worked great and I'm so glad I had it done.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I had my first eye done on March 17th and then they cancelled my March 31st appointment for the 2nd eye. I had it done yesterday. No problems at all. The actual surgery was in a Surgery Center and today, I went for the first day follow-up. I chose the laser with multi-focal Pan Optix lens. That package was called "Forever Young" and was expensive. I was not going to because of the cost, but hubby said that if it would make me "Forever Young:", it would be worth the price. :)

My Distance Vision is now 20/15 and I can use my laptop with no problems and can read very small print! The first one got better everyday and it is amazing how well they work together just today. I was able to read my regular Kindle on lowest type setting (I was using 4 with my 2.50 progressives before.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I had my cataract-clouded natural lenses removed & crystal-clear synthetic lenses installed 3-4 years ago, right eye 1st, then left about a year later.

Within a couple of years, the natural membrane supporting 1 of the implanted lenses got cloudy. That happens to about 30% of patients who get cataract surgery, the eye doctor said. That means odds are it won't happen to any particular cataract patient, just 3 in 10 -- but I was among the 3. Only 1 eye was affected. I suppose there's a chance the same thing could develop in the other eye. If so, I'm sure the eye doctor will tell me. (I had to take his word for it, because I didn't notice anything.)

To fix the clouded membrane problem, the eye doctor performed a quick & easy & totally painless laser procedure. It was done in the eye surgery center, same place where my cataract operations were done, but there was nothing surgical about the laser procedure.

The doctor had me rest my chin on a chin rest & press my forehead against a supporting band on a device resembling 1 of the instruments the doctor uses to gaze at the insides of my eyeballs. This particular device, however, was the laser zapper that blasted a tiny hole in the cloudy membrane so that my vision in that eye would not be diminished.

I did not feel anything. The only way I knew anything at all was happening was from the beeping sound the device made every time the doctor pulled the trigger. After 6 or 7 beeps, the procedure was all done & I was good to go, with no after-effects or recovery time or anything.

Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister (Upstate NY) has had a few procedures the last two weeks and is not done/lot's more to come - not good news - can't wait - prognosis good Thank God.

Obviously yours is not something as severe/requiring immediate attention. But they are taking so many precautions - extra precautions, I would have it done. Here - probably the same by you - no else is allowed in with you. Your should be fine. What if there is a spike in the fall? How long are you willing to wait. In the end it's up to you.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother had 1st eye done in January and the 2nd one done about a month ago. She said the procedure super easy for her and never has her vision been better. She has worn glasses her entire life and now she just uses readers from time to time. For the one last month, she had the option of cancelling, but the decided to do it anyway. But, it wasn't in a hospital, it was done in their small office and she felt comfortable that the risks were low enough. She was also worried that if she cancelled, it would take a while for her to get another appointment.

I think it comes down to you own personal comfort level and even your geographic location as some areas have more infection rates than others.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would wait if you can and reassess in mid June. Better to be safe.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
How bad is your vision? How fast is it getting worse? When do you think would be a better time? You don’t want to get into a position that you cannot see and the virus situation is worse and you cannot have the surgery. There is no time in the near future that it will be better. If you vision has steadily been getting worse I would do it now.
My way of thinking also...

George

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I am so glad I had mine done just before the virus escalated. My first one was mid January (right eye) this year and I was planning on waiting a year for the second eye since my left eye wasn't that bad. I had really bad vision though and after the first surgery I realized it was a pain to have only one done. Wearing a contact in my left eye and nothing in my right eye was okay but to use my prescription glasses I had to pop the right lens out and just have the left lens in. My eyes did not like that.

I also realized I had satisfied my annual maximum insurance deductible for the year after the first surgery so the second surgery would be totally paid for by my insurance so I had the left eye done this past February.

I opted for prescription lens for the surgery and went from very poor vision to 20-20 in my left eye and 20-25 in my right eye (had a detached retina in the right eye years ago so they were not able to get it to 20-20). Both eyes were corrected for distance vision since that was the most important thing for me.

The other added benefit is given all the talk that wearing contact lens could increase your chances of getting the virus, I don't have to worry about that now. I do need reading glasses but I am totally happy with that compromise.

When it's time to go to bed though I still think for a split second that I need to take out my contact lens before I realize I don't have contact lens in my eyes anymore!

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my first eye done on March 17th and then they cancelled my March 31st appointment for the 2nd eye. I had it done yesterday. No problems at all. The actual surgery was in a Surgery Center and today, I went for the first day follow-up. I chose the laser with multi-focal Pan Optix lens. That package was called "Forever Young" and was expensive. I was not going to because of the cost, but hubby said that if it would make me "Forever Young:", it would be worth the price. :)

My Distance Vision is now 20/15 and I can use my laptop with no problems and can read very small print! The first one got better everyday and it is amazing how well they work together just today. I was able to read my regular Kindle on lowest type setting (I was using 4 with my 2.50 progressives before.

I had cataract surgery on my right eye early March with corrective vision implant of the multi-focal Pan Optix lens like you. Surgery on my left eye has been postponed, but the opthamologists office told me yesterday that cataract surgery should be early on the list of elective surgeries when our regional hospital is back in full swing. My optometrist had earlier suggested that I just go for the single distance correction and use readers afterwards, but the surgeon talked me into the tri-focals and having just one eye done, I'm sure glad I went that route. I haven't had a vision test, so I don't know if I'm 20/20 again, but I can read even small print on pill bottles....and mid to long-range vision is perfect. I've ditched my glases, but my two pairs of sunglasses are progressive, so I have to buy new ones....going to Costco tomorrow. In Ontario, cataract surgery with non-focal lens is free with health care, but multi focal lens and surgery are not and it's not cheap. But, I have no regrets and I'm waiting anxiously for the call to get the other eye done.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Panina. If your vision is getting worse and worse and you are getting anywhere near the stage where you could lose your vision, I'd do it. If allowed in your area. I am doing surgery next month myself. But I don't want to lose my left arm, I fell pretty safe with medical community quite honestly. Safer than restaurants and the like. There are many many people who postponed various medical procedures out of fear and have perished as a result. This is sad. If they told you another few years and you would still be ok, then, postponing not so bad if you feel better and safer. But I wouldn't want to go blind either.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I had cataract surgery on my right eye early March with corrective vision implant of the multi-focal Pan Optix lens like you. Surgery on my left eye has been postponed, but the opthamologists office told me yesterday that cataract surgery should be early on the list of elective surgeries when our regional hospital is back in full swing. My optometrist had earlier suggested that I just go for the single distance correction and use readers afterwards, but the surgeon talked me into the tri-focals and having just one eye done, I'm sure glad I went that route. I haven't had a vision test, so I don't know if I'm 20/20 again, but I can read even small print on pill bottles....and mid to long-range vision is perfect. I've ditched my glases, but my two pairs of sunglasses are progressive, so I have to buy new ones....going to Costco tomorrow. In Ontario, cataract surgery with non-focal lens is free with health care, but multi focal lens and surgery are not and it's not cheap. But, I have no regrets and I'm waiting anxiously for the call to get the other eye done.
My ophthalmologist did not push it, but did say that the laser route was safer. He had 3 options for that and was not a big fan of mono-vision, so with regular lens or just laser, I would still need glasses. You will love it when you get the 2nd one done. Pan Optix is awesome!

I ordered new sunglasses on Zenni that were non-prescription lens, but dark gray polarized ones.

Last edited:

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had both eyes done a number of years ago. It has been great, as I wore glasses and contacts for 60+ years. Like AwayWeGo, I now have that fuzziness in my right eye. I had an appointment scheduled for mid March which was cancelled and now have to wait. Non essential surgeries have been okayed in Oregon, but I don't know where this is on the list. It blurs my vision, and I am looking sideways at everything.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
There was a cpmment about this in my paperwork - YAG. It happens sometimes soon after surgery and sometimes years later. It is normal I guess. It is from some scar tissue that develops.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am having cataract surgery today. I thought I was only going to need to have one eye done, but the consultation with the surgeon said differently. I was told the cataracts in both eyes are about the same, it's just that the vision in the right eye is much better. So, left eye today, right eye in two weeks. I'm going for the monocular vision. If this works I may not have to wear glasses any longer.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I am having cataract surgery today. I thought I was only going to need to have one eye done, but the consultation with the surgeon said differently. I was told the cataracts in both eyes are about the same, it's just that the vision in the right eye is much better. So, left eye today, right eye in two weeks. I'm going for the monocular vision. If this works I may not have to wear glasses any longer.
Best of luck to you. My husband had his done in Feb/March (squeaked in right before COVID shut things down). He absolutely loves it.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
COVID to me is just anther irritation to deal with if you need surgery for something. If you feel you need it, do it. I’ll have my other knee replaced after next year’s ski season no matter what the COVID situation is at that time. That’s if we don’t have another shutdown of elective surgery.

Cheers

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck to you!! Hoping no more glasses!!!! That would be nice :)