• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cat with failing kidneys

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Congrats Ellen. That is great news! I am not a vet but isn't 2.4 within the normal range of under 2.5? Wouldn't most cats be able to live a very long time at this level? Ours was down to 3.5 and that's what our vet told us.

We are on 3x per week IV fluids with our rescue. She loves the wet food and we are free feeding her so she is starting to put on some weight. Fingers-crossed.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Athena is purring again. Loves cuddling. She's eating, but the special kidney food was a fail. The vet said just feed her what she likes. She's eating regularly (must be on a clean, pretty plate - no cat bowl). She's definitely sleeping more, but the vet said that's normal for all older animals including people.
That's great news. Enjoy your time together with your girl.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats Ellen. That is great news! I am not a vet but isn't 2.4 within the normal range of under 2.5? Wouldn't most cats be able to live a very long time at this level? Ours was down to 3.5 and that's what our vet told us.

We are on 3x per week IV fluids with our rescue. She loves the wet food and we are free feeding her so she is starting to put on some weight. Fingers-crossed.
Well the vet didn't seem to think so. She said it's close to the normal range, but the anemia is another issue. I hope your vet is right. How old is your kitty?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My update isn't so happy. My little pug had his last day on early Monday of last week. UGH - was a horrible day. Very, very hard to make the decision of "it's time".

But -- he enjoyed his last day on earth enjoying a wonderful meal from Culver's. You Midwesterners know what I'm talking about.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
My update isn't so happy. My little pug had his last day on early Monday of last week. UGH - was a horrible day. Very, very hard to make the decision of "it's time".

But -- he enjoyed his last day on earth enjoying a wonderful meal from Culver's. You Midwesterners know what I'm talking about.
I am SO SO SORRY.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

Sorry to hear this but I'm sure Culver's made it easier for him.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this but I'm sure Culver's made it easier for him.
I was so happy he was interested in it. Someone told me (maybe it was here on TUG?) to make sure I didn't wait too long -- try to make his last day a good day. He wasn't super interested in food the past few weeks but her really perked up with the Butter Burger. And I decided that it was time for him to have a HOT FUDGE sundae. He ran out of steam halfway through dessert . XOXO

When you take your pet to an animal hospital on a major hospital on a holiday (Memorial Day), it's a very sad place. Nothing good was going on there that day.

My daughter came with and when we left the vet she played Dolly Parton "I Will Always Love You" and we had a sobbing , hot mess cry together.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I was so happy he was interested in it. Someone told me (maybe it was here on TUG?) to make sure I didn't wait too long -- try to make his last day a good day. He wasn't super interested in food the past few weeks but her really perked up with the Butter Burger. And I decided that it was time for him to have a HOT FUDGE sundae. He ran out of steam halfway through dessert . XOXO

When you take your pet to an animal hospital on a major hospital on a holiday (Memorial Day), it's a very sad place. Nothing good was going on there that day.

My daughter came with and when we left the vet she played Dolly Parton "I Will Always Love You" and we had a sobbing , hot mess cry together.

It's always very hard but it sounds like you made his last day a good one.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Athena has tolerated IV fluids at home very well. She is such a good kitty. She just sits there - no fighting or crying. New blood work show:
Down to 2.4

BUT-

Phosphorus 8.7 a little high (but vet wasn't worried about that)

Hematocrit is down and she’s anemic
Total red cells 5.6 to 4.2 Normal 5.9 and 9

She's getting her a shot of a compound called darbepoetin which should help with this.

She explained this is like hospice. It's terminal, but she will be more comfortable and will continue to enjoy life as long as possible.

Athena is purring again. Loves cuddling. She's eating, but the special kidney food was a fail. The vet said just feed her what she likes. She's eating regularly (must be on a clean, pretty plate - no cat bowl). She's definitely sleeping more, but the vet said that's normal for all older animals including people.

THANKS for all of your ideas and for caring!
i'm glad she is doing better. Which prescription food were you feeding her? Was it a wet food? Although our dogs and cats always liked the Hill's Prescription Diet (primarily dry), I've heard that many cats prefer the Royal Canin prescription diet wet food. These foods are lower in phosphorous and other minerals and will really help preserve her kidneys.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
i'm glad she is doing better. Which prescription food were you feeding her? Was it a wet food? Although our dogs and cats always liked the Hill's Prescription Diet (primarily dry), I've heard that many cats prefer the Royal Canin prescription diet wet food. These foods are lower in phosphorous and other minerals and will really help preserve her kidneys.
We tried Hills and she hated it. I can try Royal Canin. THANK YOU!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We tried Hills and she hated it. I can try Royal Canin. THANK YOU!
Almost everything that makes the food taste good is bad for kidneys. Hill's primarily sells dry pet food and does a great job with the dry foods. I think the competitors have more experience with the wet foods. Luckily, all of our pets love the dry foods. Royal Canin has a great reputation for their wet prescription food, so hopefully she will like it. Prescription foods are much more expensive, but at least cats don't eat as much.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost everything that makes the food taste good is bad for kidneys. Hill's primarily sells dry pet food and does a great job with the dry foods. I think the competitors have more experience with the wet foods. Luckily, all of our pets love the dry foods. Royal Canin has a great reputation for their wet prescription food, so hopefully she will like it. Prescription foods are much more expensive, but at least cats don't eat as much.
Thanks we will try it!