• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Carnival Cruise Line threatens to remove its ships from US home ports to sail elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
I'm a big fan of cruising, and even I find this 'threat' laughable. I mean, I'd probably sail from elsewhere in the meantime if I were Carnival, but it seems obvious that as soon as they're allowed back, they'll be back.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Some of these responses are so silly. Royal Caribbean and NCL have already said they are going to sail from other locations. What is a company to do when the CDC is a bunch of [pejorative term redacted] and really sticking it to the cruise lines for no good reason?

Royal already has plans to do week long cruises from St Martin, Nassau, and Bermuda.

Last edited by a moderator:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't their choice. NO cruise ships are allowed to arrive in, or depart from ANY US ports. When the powers that be feel that cruising can be done safely, they'll be back. But for now, Take a chill pill!

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
It isn't their choice. NO cruise ships are allowed to arrive in, or depart from ANY US ports. When the powers that be feel that cruising can be done safely, they'll be back. But for now, Take a chill pill!

But they can sail from other ports and many cruisers have no problems flying to other ports to take a cruise. No different flying from St Louis to Orlando or St Martin.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of these responses are so silly. Royal Caribbean and NCL have already said they are going to sail from other locations. What is a company to do when the CDC is a bunch of aholes and really sticking to the cruise lines for no good reason?
Umm. Cruise lines don't exactly have a great track record of keeping their crews and guests healthy. Sounds like 'good reason' to me.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Let's see. Hotels can be open. Restaurants can be open. Pools can be open. But a floating hotel / restaurant / pool can't. Seems like the cruise companies have been bending over backwards trying to accommodate the authorities and the CDC to no avail.

I feel sorry for all those employees who have been out of work for over a year. Must be nice to sit here in our cushy homes and scoff, wave Bbye and chant good riddance at those who want to go back to work to support their families. But I'm sure there are "good reasons". :rolleyes:

Kurt

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Umm. Cruise lines don't exactly have a great track record of keeping their crews and guests healthy. Sounds like 'good reason' to me.

Oooooo......this sounds fun. As someone who has completed 30 cruises on 7 different lines I would love for you to please elaborate on your opinion. What kind of track record are we talking about?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have anyone watch on television The Last Cruise a HBO Special.?

Scary. IMHO

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
You mean all those ships that are registered in other countries to avoid more stringent US safety, labor, and environmental laws?
Exactly!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have anyone watch on television The Last Cruise a HBO Special.?

Yes, I saw it.

Scary. Can't even imagine being on the ship that long and not knowing too many details at first about anything, can medical handle the number of people on the ship - even the doctor got sick :(.

We love cruising but we are won't be ready to even think about booking a cruise for a little while. We will travel here in the US for now. For any future cruises too, we will make sure we always get a balcony (sometimes we get ocean view/window).

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Let's also ask this question - while cruise lines do indeed bring business to and through U.S. Ports, how much revenue and taxes do they produce for United States interests above, beyond and separate from the cargo related activities? I think it is fair to conclude that cruise lines might be held in a higher (more positive) light if their connections to the United States were stronger.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score

Every disease listed there can be picked up from anywhere by anyone. Passeparout seems to have a special grievance specifically against cruise ships making a claim effectively that they are unsafe or unhealthy. I would like for him/her to post what info she has to back up such a claim. As I stated earlier, after 30 cruises I have never had any kind of illness aboard a ship. I have gotten sick a couple of times in my 32 year timesharing span so maybe we should consider timesharing to not have a great health track record (yes, I'm being facetious but I can't stand when people throw out such ridiculous and slanderous statements with no proof whatsoever).

So again, @Passepartout, I ask you to show documentation that backs up your statement that cruise ships "don't have a great track record of keeping their guests and crew healthy".

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Let's also ask this question - while cruise lines do indeed bring business to and through U.S. Ports, how much revenue and taxes do they produce for United States interests above, beyond and separate from the cargo related activities? I think it is fair to conclude that cruise lines might be held in a higher (more positive) light if their connections to the United States were stronger.

Hmmm, US flights to get to and the cruise, hotels for stays before and after the cruise, food purchased prior to and after the cruise, rental cars to see the local area before and after, food/toiletries/gift merchandise/etc purchased by the cruise ship to replenish stock, fuel so the ship can actually move, port charges and taxes, terminal rental for embarkation/disembarkation......oh, and and wages for all of the employees operating all of those things. That's the revenue they produce (and then some). North America had over 14 million cruise passengers in 2019. Yea, with the money they spend before and after the cruise and what the cruise line spends themselves, that's a couple of bucks here and there.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So again, @Passepartout, I ask you to show documentation that backs up your statement that cruise ships "don't have a great track record of keeping their guests and crew healthy".
Okey Dokey. You asked. COVID-19 pandemic on cruise ships - Wikipedia This outlines just Coronavirus on cruise ships starting with Diamond Princess being quarantined in Yokohama for 4 months and 14 passengers dying of the disease as well as several other examples. Including:

As of 2 May 2020, over 40 cruise ships have had confirmed positive cases of coronavirus on board. The last cruise ship with passengers aboard during the first wave of the pandemic, Artania, docked at its home port with its last eight passengers on 8 June 2020.[a][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][excessive citations] In addition, over 40,000 crew members remained on cruise ships, some in isolation, as of mid-June 2020.[11] Many are unable to be repatriated because cruise lines refuse to cover the cost of doing so,[12][13] and because countries have different and changing rules. The condition is stressful to many employees.[14] Multiple suicides have been reported.[15]

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Okey Dokey. You asked. COVID-19 pandemic on cruise ships - Wikipedia This outlines just Coronavirus on cruise ships starting with Diamond Princess being quarantined in Yokohama for 4 months and 14 passengers dying of the disease as well as several other examples. Including:

As of 2 May 2020, over 40 cruise ships have had confirmed positive cases of coronavirus on board. The last cruise ship with passengers aboard during the first wave of the pandemic, Artania, docked at its home port with its last eight passengers on 8 June 2020.[a][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][excessive citations] In addition, over 40,000 crew members remained on cruise ships, some in isolation, as of mid-June 2020.[11] Many are unable to be repatriated because cruise lines refuse to cover the cost of doing so,[12][13] and because countries have different and changing rules. The condition is stressful to many employees.[14] Multiple suicides have been reported.[15]

Let's see. Cruise ships have been sailing for well over 100 years. The Titanic went down in 1912 and yet you want to use an unknown disease (at the time) as the basis for cruise lines running unhealthy ships? Was there an ability to test or vaccinate those people prior to a cruise in 2020? Nope. Now, if you brought up norovirus (created by passengers, not the cruise industry and norovirus can be gotten in many places) you might have had an argument or even something along the lines of the Titanic crash (which was actually the fault of the cruise line versus the fault of a passenger's poor hygiene and manners) but you bring up a disease in which no one (so the Chinese say) knew about and then blame the cruise lines? So for those who got the disease at Publix, is that because of Publix's poor health track record or because some obnoxious customer sneezer all over everyone??

I get it, you don't like to cruise for whatever reason. No need to be slanderous about it though. Just say you hate cruise lines and be done with it. The cruise industry had no knowledge of what was about to happen just like the airline industry who probably brought the disease into the US had no knowledge they were transporting someone with the disease.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get it, you don't like to cruise for whatever reason. No need to be slanderous about it though. Just say you hate cruise lines and be done with it. The cruise industry had no knowledge of what was about to happen just like the airline industry who probably brought the disease into the US had no knowledge they were transporting someone with the disease.
Listen, I cruise often, and have for 40 years. I currently have 2 booked for this year. Don't be accusing me of slander, or 'hating' this or any other industry. So go crawl back under your rock and watch your accusations. By the way, I happen to LIKE fried shrimp, but prefer camarones in ceviche cooked in lime juice.

Jim

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
I am an avid cruiser. Many dozens of cruises out of Florida over the past twenty years. If prices and offerings are even close to what they were pre-plague, we'll definitely be back onboard sooner rather than later. I expect us to cruise in September, more than 18 months since our last cruise. Now that we are vaccinated and data is finally saying that we are unlikely to be infected or transmit this virus, it's just a matter of time.

All that said... I thought it was accepted fact that cruise ships are ideal environments to pass around easily communicable diseases. I really believed that everyone with an ounce of sense knew this and had decided whether or not to cruise based on their risk tolerance. Under normal circumstances, we are willing to take the risks - others may not be, or just don't think the experience justifies any increased risks. Pretending that cruising doesn't come with known risks is just as silly as someone believing that cruising shouldn't exist because it doesn't suit them.

Further, on that list of places that cruise money gets spent, I'd be really interested in seeing how much of that gets spent in the US. Cruise lines have perfected the art of cost cutting, and one of the ways they do that is by running as little as they can under the US umbrella. There's something to be said for the fact that the cruise industry might find more sympathy to their plight if they weren't so invested in foreign flag operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.