• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Carmel Restaurants

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to the Hyatt in Carmel next week. Was wondeirng if anyone has any restaurant recommendations in the area.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
One of our favorite restaurants is Passionfish, in Pacific Grove. Reasonable prices, great food and extensive wine list. :)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Unfortunately our favorite restaurant is no longer there. :bawl:

But, we really like Katy's Place for breakfast on Mission between 5th & 6th, and we've found a couple of Italian restaurants we like, Little Napoli and Tutte Mondo, both on Dolores, just off Ocean.

We also used to like the restaurant at the Highlands Inn, which is now the Hyatt I believe. It's the Pacfic's Edge. Pretty expensive, but it was very good. Haven't been there in quite a few years though.

And although I wouldn't eat there, the Hog's Breath (which used to be owned by Clint Eastwood) is fun for a drink.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to the Hyatt in Carmel next week. Was wondeirng if anyone has any restaurant recommendations in the area.

Howard,

What kind of food are you looking for?

We just had about a 75 degree day up here today.

Carmel85

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Many of the places you suggested are tourist traps big time Katy's try the wagon wheel (LOCALS ONLY) next to quail lodge or Jeffereys in Mid Carmel Valley 15 minutes from Highlands inn.

Tutte Mondo (YUCK) old news washed up

Go where locals go dont get stuck in a tourist trap.

I need to know what type of food and for how many people etc B/L/D? Midweek or weekend?

I guess we must be tourists with low-brow tastes. ;) I'll be sure to consult with you before our next trip.

A second Katy's opened up in San Ramon, where we live and the locals eat there.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to live in San Fran and frequested Fandango's in Pacific Grove. They specialize in Paella. We visited a couple of years ago and it was still good. 1 serving will feed 2. We also ate at Sardine Factory in Monterrey many years ago, and our group of 8 was given the only table in the wine cellar, a really cool room with stone floors, walls and ceiling. A lot of fun, but a bit pricey.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for not very fancy breakfast/lunch tyoe places. MAybe a good place for a nice salad for Lunch. Locals tyoe restaurants for dinner seafood/Italian

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Looking for not very fancy breakfast/lunch tyoe places. MAybe a good place for a nice salad for Lunch. Locals tyoe restaurants for dinner seafood/Italian

Well, we already know my suggestions for breakfast and Italian places suck. So hope you'll get some others. :cool: But, I guess there must be other low-class tourists in Carmel since the places I mentioed earlier have always been packed when we've gone.

Last edited:

cookinmamma

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last month & also stayed at the Hyatt. Had great meals out. We love food and dining out and I recommend all of the following places. Most/all of these places have menus or reviews online.

We ate dinners at:

Cafe Rustica in Carmel Valley

Rio Grille in Carmel - in a shopping plaza - good pizzas, pasta, fish.

Fishwife in Pacific Grove - reasonable prices & family atmosphere.

Passionfish in Pacific Grove (?) - excellent sablefish, perfect filet mignon, a little more upscale than Fishwife

Had a splurge dinner (just DH and me) at L'Auberge Carmel - a restaurant connected to L'Auberge Inn in downtown Carmel. They offer a chef's tasting menu prix fixe w/ wine pairings. It was very pricey. We enjoyed it, but I can't say I would go again.

and had lunch/brunch at:

Smokehouse Willie's near the Aquarium in Monterey (surprisingly great pulled pork & ribs)

Katy's Place: huge portions, delicous cholesterol laden eggs benedict served everyway imaginable.

Bon appetit!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Carmel85, I don't have a horse to get high on. No, I don't live in Carmel, but we do visit there fairly frequently, and when we visit we eat out. I merely mentioned places we had enjoyed. Sorry, they didn't meet with your approval. But, there is certainly a much nicer way to disagree with someone's suggestions than in your posts to me.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Is there some reason you're yelling at me?

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed for years with someone, a native Carmelian/Carmelite :)) ) @ NW Lincoln & 3rd- who used to take me to Katy's (among other places) when I was in town.

He used to speak to all the locals there, being born & raised there himself. He said it was more of a tradition to go there for breakfast.
http://www.katysplacecarmel.com/open.html

You know, one person's tourist trap can be another's favorite, even a native.

We have them here in Boston; "No Name Restaurant", "Durgin Park", "Union Oyster House", etc. They can be viewed as both, but doesn't make them one or the other. It's just percepton and opinion I'd say.

Last edited:

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carmel, you do not represent your town well by putting down the suggestions of those who have visited and are offering their opinions. Just because you live in the area does not mean your opinions are the only ones that count. Your opinions are welcomed, but not if you make yourself out to be the only "expert." Your attitude is a real turn off to me and I was born & raised in the area. Your know-it-all tone is offensive. You owe Luanne an apology for such rude remarks.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Carmel, you do not represent your town well by putting down the suggestions of those who have visited and are offering their opinions. Just because you live in the area does not mean your opinions are the only ones that count. Your opinions are welcomed, but not if you make yourself out to be the only "expert." Your attitude is a real turn off to me and I was born & raised in the area. Your know-it-all tone is offensive. You owe Luanne an apology for such rude remarks.

Well said!! Everyone is entitled to restaurant opinions without getting slammed.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

What a nice way of saying that barndweller - and Carmel, you DO need to apologize - your tone is uncalled for.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cafe Rustica in Carmel Valley previous owner of Taste isn PG

Volcano Grill Carmel valley #1`previous owner of rio grill and 5 other local places

Rio Grille in Carmel - in a shopping plaza - good pizzas, pasta, fish.

Fishwife in Pacific Grove - reasonable prices & family atmosphere.

all great places

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Excuse me. I provided my opinion on some places we had eaten, and enjoyed. I didn't yell or tell anyone else or belittle their suggestions. If you disagree with my recommendations, that's fine. I'm a big girl and I can take it. But, as I said before, there is a much nicer way to state it. I certainly defer to your expertise since you are a local, born and raised. I'm not sure what I have said that has caused you to make the statements to me that you have. No one here that I can see has "ripped" you about your opinions.

jbercu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is my picks

Breakfast
Black Bear Diner http://www.blackbeardiner.com/loc/carmel.html
On your way to almost everywhere from the Highlands inn.

Breakfast/Lunch
Holly's Lighthouse Cafe
602 Lighthouse Ave
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Great food , salads

Lunch/Dinner
Flaherty's Oyster Bar
Dolores & Sixth
Carmel, CA
Get the Restaurant.com certificate
http://restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=333874&mcn=00029764

Dinner:
Bahama Billy's
3690 The Barnyard
Carmel, CA
http://restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=334252&mcn=00030153

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Howard,

I do hope you enjoy ALL the places you eat at here in Carmel. If you would like my opinion please just send me a PM.

I can say some of the place that are suggested are great and others will cost you a $$$$$ for a breakfast (a real joke).

Either way you will have a nice time here bring a warm jacket because we have fog just off the coast today and Pacific Grove is all fogged in today.

Enjoy your time here and WELCOME to Carmel by the Sea, California.

I cant say anymore that that because every time I say my opinion I get ripped here on this subject about my local town CARMEL,CA which I think is so funny because I give my opinion a locals view not somebody that visits for a week then leaves and comes again next year. I live here 330 days a year.

I guess I do not know this subject locals know NOTHING!

Luanne you are way way out there!!!!

Im no expert nor do I say Im but I sure know Carmel and the area better that most of you that just visit a few times per year. Im sure you would feel the same in your own home town.

I think that the point is that things can be said in a civil and polite manner rather than the manner in which it was said followed by other remarks.
No need to denigrate or slam someone else because it's not your experience.

I did not see anyone "ripping" you about your home town knowledge, just your manner of posting.

So, please do try to separate one from the other. It could help the tone of things. As a Hyatt owner, I have seen these kind of postings before from you and you do have something to offer, but the message is lost with the bullying.

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
For some reason this discussion reminds me of one of the new words from The Washington Post's Mensa Invitational where they asked readers to take any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter, and supply a new definition. One of this year's winners:

Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Breakfast
Black Bear Diner http://www.blackbeardiner.com/loc/carmel.html
On your way to almost everywhere from the Highlands inn.

Breakfast/Lunch
Holly's Lighthouse Cafe
602 Lighthouse Ave
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Great food , salads

Lunch/Dinner
Flaherty's Oyster Bar
Dolores & Sixth
Carmel, CA
http://restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=333874&mcn=00029764

Dinner:
Bahama Billy's
3690 The Barnyard
Carmel, CA
http://restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=334252&mcn=00030153

jbercu,

When you come back to Carmel here is a little tip.

Dinner:

If you liked Bahama Billies (which we all did)

I would suggest going to Volcano Grill the owner of Bahama Billys (bill) sold out and now started Volcano Grill in Carmel valley village. This is always busy so arrive early and enjoy the patio you will enjoy yourself.

locals eyes and tastes

Last edited: