• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental WSJ - will they pick you up? and age!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I plan on reserving the Westin ferry from the airport to the resort and I see on some of the car rental sites that the companies offer to pick you up at the Cruz Bay ferry.

Do any of the companies pick you up at the resort?
Is it a problem (or expensive) to hop in a cab to pick up your rental jeep?

And we have an early flight (noon) on Saturday going home....should we give back the rental jeep on Friday evening?

On another note - my DD and BF are going to STJ in December and they are only 23 - does anyone know of a company that will rent to them? Most sites are saying minimum age is 25.

TIA

lawren2

Reaction score
Hertz is or was on-site.

I imagine most of the companies would bring you a jeep to Westin if you would take them back to their offices.

Last edited:

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented from O'conner on site. The prices were in line with most of the other places in town.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you both.....I will try them both.

Coocoojay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taxi are convenient and easy to get

You can get jeeps at the Westin and rentals too...check concierge services. But taxi are easy to come by and go everywhere. St John's island is small only the attractions in the Coral Bay area are "far."

Recognize the Westin ferry with pick up from the airport goes to Great Cruz Bay where the Westin is. The public ferrys go to Cruz Bay which is a few miles from the Westin. Also Cruz Bay is the "town" which you can walk across in 20 minutes. That ferry trip takes 45 minutes or more and so the trip back to the airport is nearly 2 hours, so you start your journey to the airport about 4 hours before the plane leaves.

My daughter wanted a rental car so that she would have car seat for her 1 year old and 4 year old..taxis and the common bus like vehicles don't have car seats.

You might want to consider renting a car only for the days you want to travel to far places. When we were there last May we didn't rent a car and were very happy going to the beach, church, town, shopping, and touring with taxi only. (Of course we are the type of people when we go to Europe we always take the train and use local transportation.)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
no Hertz on STJ.

O'Connor is the on-site rental agency - we used them w/no issue. Make sure you brush out excess sand no matter which agency. Also, take good notes on vehicle condition (I take photos)

We prefer the Westin Ferry - we have gone both ways (Public and Westin) -the ease of use is worth the premium.

Some have rented in STT and taken the car ferry over from RedHook.

No idea with the <25yo - most likely use a rental agency on STJ in Cruz Bay - like Conrad Sutton - they may not pay attention (or care)

Please do not expect the same level of service as in the States - and your trip will go easier. Go Slow/Stay Left.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Do you need to reserve the cars in advance or can you just wing it based on what you feel like doing that day?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
no Hertz on STJ.

O'Connor is the on-site rental agency - we used them w/no issue. Make sure you brush out excess sand no matter which agency. Also, take good notes on vehicle condition (I take photos)

We prefer the Westin Ferry - we have gone both ways (Public and Westin) -the ease of use is worth the premium.

Some have rented in STT and taken the car ferry over from RedHook.

No idea with the <25yo - most likely use a rental agency on STJ in Cruz Bay - like Conrad Sutton - they may not pay attention (or care)

Please do not expect the same level of service as in the States - and your trip will go easier. Go Slow/Stay Left.
That is the BEST advice!

We frequently stay on STT so understand the nature of island time and 'to da left' - last time we took our car from STT on the ferry to STJ :eek: - not for the weak of heart....

I emailed O'Connor to reserve and yes, will do the Westin ferry - I was very envious my last trip when I saw those happy people at the airport.....I said to DH, "That will be us next trip :banana: "

thanks for the advice re: 'who cares' agency...apparently a lot of them do!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can get jeeps at the Westin and rentals too...check concierge services. But taxi are easy to come by and go everywhere. St John's island is small only the attractions in the Coral Bay area are "far."

Recognize the Westin ferry with pick up from the airport goes to Great Cruz Bay where the Westin is. The public ferrys go to Cruz Bay which is a few miles from the Westin. Also Cruz Bay is the "town" which you can walk across in 20 minutes. That ferry trip takes 45 minutes or more and so the trip back to the airport is nearly 2 hours, so you start your journey to the airport about 4 hours before the plane leaves.

My daughter wanted a rental car so that she would have car seat for her 1 year old and 4 year old..taxis and the common bus like vehicles don't have car seats.

You might want to consider renting a car only for the days you want to travel to far places. When we were there last May we didn't rent a car and were very happy going to the beach, church, town, shopping, and touring with taxi only. (Of course we are the type of people when we go to Europe we always take the train and use local transportation.)
We did a one day trip last year - and are really looking forward to trying different beaches each morning - so we prefer to have a car...