• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental question

M&JJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

This year for our annual trip to Vegas/Palm Springs/Phoenix I am looking to fly in to Vegas and out of Phoenix. I dont want to do the 2 day drive from home this year. We are a family of 7 so need a big vehicle. I am looking for recommendations on how to rent something that I can pick up in Vegas and drop off in Phoenix. I dont think we will need a vehicle while we are staying in Vegas - just need it from the day we leave Vegas to get to Palm Springs and then on to Phoenix.

I have only rented a vehicle a couple of times so not sure of the most economical way to do this.

thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When you go online, to the car rental websites, you will have to option of picking up one place and dropping off at another. You will have to compare prices.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
One week rentals are usually the best deal. So, think twice about having a car in Vegas. It really comes in handy to get around and saves on taxi expense. Especially consider that you will need two taxi cabs from the airport and anywhere else you go.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, my own experience is that most companies prefer to keep their fleet in town (although I have seen sales where they encourage you to drive their equipment to a hot rental location by giving you a better rate). As a consequence, they usually add a one way surcharge. A minivan that would normally rent for $100 a day would probably cost double that ($200) while, as someone pointed out, a full week's rental would give you access for the week and probably run you about $800. BTW, it might be cheaper to rent two smaller class vehicles - I'm just saying-check it out! Seven people in a minivan with luggage would be overload. I didn't check but there may be passenger vans that run that route daily where you could negotiate a better rate - I know there's one from Flagstaff to Phoenix that's about $35-$40. Oh, sorry, I think I remember you said you are going to Phoenix via Palm Springs. :shrug: