• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental Prices Doubling (March 2021 thread)

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
We casually checked prices a month ago for MKO ad MOC and prices were around $437 for the week in Honolulu and $365 in Maui for a Ford Fusion or Impala. Today they are $300++ - some over $800 for the week. Crazy things going on. I checked with Autoslasher and nothing better

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Hawaii car rental prices have been much higher-than-usual for many months......:(

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
$300 a day for a Kia Rio. Why rental cars prices have gone insane.

Richard

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
$300 a day for a Kia Rio. Why rental cars prices have gone insane.

Richard
I saw that and that is why I rechecked my quotes and the autosalsher quote went from $444 to $890

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I made my reservations around New Years day for our August trip to Kauai. Looking good.

Not only that I made two reservations, figuring that I could decide which one I wanted to keep. Now, I'm pretty sure I'll keep both of them if family members join us.

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not make reservations back then because someone on this Forum said he would never make reservations so far out. Guess you get what you pay for (advice wise)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I did not make reservations back then because someone on this Forum said he would never make reservations so far out. Guess you get what you pay for (advice wise)
I don't understand that advice. Since there are no fees to cancel a car rental reservation, what possible downside is there to making one even if it is many months out? For my vacation planning, after the dates are set I make my car reservations, and then check back occasionally and re-book if a lower price comes along.

Kurt

Last edited:

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did get one in Honolulu for $385 all in for mid-size... yeah. Now on to Maui

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in Scottsdale last weekend and booked a car 2 months in adavance with Costco for $186. The car would have been $340 if I picked up at PHX airport. Lyft ride from and to airport was $20 each way. The guy at rental counter in Scottsdale said Budget was sold out with no cars available and the week before he was renting cars at the last minute for $150-180 a day. Another couple at the Wyndham Scottsdale was renting a Uhaul pickup for transportation.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Rental agencies dump/sold a lot of their inventory when demand plummeted and they needed cash to stay afloat. Now the demand is higher than the supply everywhere. We had reserved a car long ago in Fort Meyers. I kept searching but prices kept climbing higher. A week before our arrival they were sold out and stayed that way.

I’m reserving early and continuing to search, just like I’ve always done. Maybe in the future things will return to normal as demand return and stabilizes at their previous levels.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the same thing for a recent trip to Orlando. I typically pay around $200-$250 for a full size and I never saw it budge less than $525. We were staying on-site at WDW so I ended up letting them be our transportation and just used Lyft the couple times I needed.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We are lucky with a good rental car rate out of Santa Fe for 2 weeks mid-April. Booked Enterprise thru Costco in January and the last time I checked their website the price had risen over $200. Our daughter & husband are meeting us in Ruidoso flying into El Paso and their rental car, booked within the last couple of weeks, is running $137 for 4 days.

Initially I'd looked into flying into Albuquerque since we head to Taos after Ruidoso, but that city has high taxes on rental cars- not just at the airport but at all off-site agencies- unless you are a New Mexico resident!

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
We're looking at $1000+ for nine days from either SLC or BZN for our grand Yellowstone/Glacier adventure this summer. I'm watching frequently but it's just staying high =/. Two different timeshares booked that week, and we'll pay just as much for the rental car, yuck.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the same thing for a recent trip to Orlando. I typically pay around $200-$250 for a full size and I never saw it budge less than $525.

My Son just got back from Orlando. He rented from Budget for 3 days at $14 per day for a small SUV. I notice he got charged $5.75 after turning in his car. I suspect it was for tolls...

George

Last edited:

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Decided to go with Priceline offer of $644 for Rav 4 in Maui - better than the $890 I had seen but not the $340 I saw back in January. Figured I better lock it in - the only way to get it was to pay in full. Thought the would only be going higher - it is over labor day weekend

iowateach

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I typically pay about $280 with Hertz for a car in Palm Springs no matter what time of year I travel. I’ve been watching car prices for the last month for an April trip. They have been going up daily. Right now all companies are over $400 for a week and many cars are sold out.

AndySamuels

Reaction score
Paid $240 for a Nissan Altima for a Sunday to Friday Vegas trip this past week. With AVIS corporate discount. That is not bad.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
If you work for a large company, check if you can use their corporate rate for leisure use.

boraxo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra, Villa Resorts (Mexico)
If you work for a large company, check if you can use their corporate rate for leisure use.
This is good advice - Avis allows us to use the company AWD code and it usually brings up the lowest rates. Costco is also a good option. And then kayak.
Good reminder to book for summer travel now if you ha e figured out your plans.

PDX Matthew

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Maui in June - I always book plane tickets and car as soon as accommodation is confirmed, which was last week. I often book a car via the airline but this time that option was over $1,000, I ended up getting a RAV4 sized car for $450 with cheap-o-air.

I had to use a rental car this week when my car was in the shop. The agent at Enterprise was telling me there is a shortage of new cars because there is a shortage of a specific microprocessor that all cars need. She was even having to pay a much higher price for a car on an upcoming trip because of the shortage - her employee discount wasn’t helping much.

AndySamuels

Reaction score
I use Uber (cheap but X is annoying with the wait) or cabs (expensive) when I drink (a lot).

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
My niece’s reservation was cancelled two days before her vacation started. She received a call from Dollar that they were over sold. Luckily her son lives in Orlando and they were able to borrow his fiance’s car