• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental onIsland of St. Thomas

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Does anyone happen to have a recommendation for a reliable rental car company? When we were there 5 years ago for our daughters wedding, I don't remember who we rented through. My daughters jeep had a dead battery which took the rental company several hours to get someone there to replace, and they were stuck off the side of a road since they had pulled over to take pictures.

Additionally, our friends Jeep had 2 flat tires, 2 different ones while they were out touring around. Hard to believe, but they obviously were not well taken care of. Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on a reliable company. We are going again this November for our daughters 5th.anniversary. We are staying at The Elysian, however we are renting through a private owner. They offer discounts for repeat customers, and we loved the resort so much that we would not consider going anywhere else.Thanks so much

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I don‘t have any experience of renting a car on St Thomas. But there are Hertz, Avis and Budget Car rentals on the island. It might be safer to stick with a reputable brand.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don‘t have any experience of renting a car on St Thomas. But there are Hertz, Avis and Budget Car rentals on the island. It might be safer to stick with a reputable brand.

Thank you. I just spoke with the owner of the unit and they recommended staying with Hertz or Avis. I was also wondering if after the devastation from the hurricane, if many cars have been replaced and are newer.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to take your rental car on the ferry to St John, you can’t with Hertz. I am dealing with All Around Car Rental recommended on the St. Thomas TripAdvisor site. They are near Red Hook by the Sapphire Beach Resort, but will pick you up at the airport, too. They also will drive you to the airport after your rental if you prefer that to dropping the car off there, which is good for us as we will be staying near Red Hook. Good local company from what I’ve read and great communication thus far. I called and talked with them after an initial email.
Mobile 340-690-4431 Main 340-776-9402

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I’ve rented with Avis several times at STT airport. The cars have been clean and reliable. The only thing is though I found many scratches and dents so I took a video walk around each time, although I’ve never had an issue. On arrival the renal counter is slow. I’d plan on 1-2 hours in line. Remember to stay left!!