• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental in Costa Rica?

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of renting a car in Costa Rica. How is it driving to the sights close to San Jose? I would like to drive from San Jose to Arenal and was wandering what the roads were like? Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Arenol to Monteverde? Thanks

ripshion

Reaction score
ValHam said:
I am thinking of renting a car in Costa Rica. How is it driving to the sights close to San Jose? I would like to drive from San Jose to Arenal and was wandering what the roads were like? Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Arenol to Monteverde? Thanks

If my memory serves me correctly the rental car in Costa Rica was very, very expensive and the drive to Arenal was about 3 1/2 hrs from San Jose. There is 1 toll booth that you have to pass through, other then that the roads were pretty good. We rented a 4x4 Suzuki jeep which we unfortunately got stuck in the back country of Lake Arenal. A local came with his 2 bulls to pull us out, I have the pictures to prove it :eek: Have a good time!

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Be sure to take full coverage, my nephew's rent car in Costa Rica caught fire while driving and burned to the ground.

Canuck

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The bus

Public transit in Costa Rica is great, cheap, safe, and runs on time (most days). I would feel safer on the bus then in a rental car. It is also worth checking out "tourist" buses. Not sure if they have them in Costa Rica but they did in Guatemala and they were worth the extra money (still cheaper and safer then driving/renting a car).

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we visited we were advised to rent a 4-wheel drive. I would definitley recommend it too as the road conditions vary greatly. I think that we booked on Orbitz and it was not really any different than renting anywhere else. Having your own transportation lets you get around more than relying on other means.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We rented a 4-wheel drive as well. Generally speaking, the road conditions are horrible. There is only one paved highway in Costa Rica. Some of the side roads are partially paved but many are gravel (read "big rocks") and pot-holed. The area around Monteverde and Arenal have the best roads in the country.

If you are just driving for a day and sticking to main routes, you may be OK with a regular car. Just be prepared for travel to take a long time. The coastal area where we stayed was all gravel/rock roads. We even had to ford rivers to get to nearby towns.

Deb

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't remember any trouble parking anywhere. Whatever you do, do NOT leave your luggage in your car. If you stop to eat, get gas, etc., always keep your car in view. There is very little crime against people in CR but I understand that luggage theft is relatively common.

Have fun!

Deb

Malane

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a very late reply, but I thought it might be useful to someone else. I just did the drive trip through Costa Rica in the Fall of last year - we stayed in Jaco Beach and drove up and down the country. While it is not for everyone, I don't think I would have wanted to be without a car in Costa Rica. (FYI- There were reports of a few thieves targeting car rental customers in San Jose by throwing down tack strips and pretending to help you change a tire while robbing you blind, but we didn't not encounter any.)

I have many suggestions for getting around and highly recommend buying a very detailed road map prior to leaving - the roads are not well marked. Yes, everyone here is also speaking the truth when they say there are pot holes the size of your car, and the little 4-wheel drives you rent sometimes have trouble getting up the hills. The drive to Arenal is winding but do-able and fairly smooth by comparison to others. Monteverde is a little more difficult. Everything on the map looks very close, but remember that you are going to be driving on narrow roads and will often be behind large trucks you cannot pass going 15-25 MPH. Budget HOURS of time to go 50-70 miles. The main highway is painfully slow because of the same trucks.

If you would like any more information, feel free to send me a private message. I really love Costa Rica and I bet you'll have a great time.