• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Capital Vacations points program, does anyone own and is it as good as they sell it?

Gioconda79

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CAPITAL VACATIONS PIGEON FORGE, TN
We bought 175,000 points into the program and 325,000 aspire points, plus 175,000 bonus points. We were told we can use points to pay maintenance fees or anything we can buy. 100,000 points=$1,000
Do any of you have this? Total purchase was $18,234 with 10% down.
We have 7 days to cancel. Please help decide.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I pulled up Capital Vacation's Resorts. No way I would spend $18,234 plus (I assume) an annual fee and maybe transaction fees for a group of Resorts I'll bet you can call directly and rent at reasonable prices and probably with more flexibility (say fewer or more days than exactly 7)...

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Canx now. Follow instructions exactly. Make sure to use usps. Make a trip to post office. You need proof of mailing/receipt if they say the never got it. Don’t wait. Send out tomorrow.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Cancel this, not a good investment. Check resales or Rentals first to see how good a deal you get on TUG.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought 175,000 points into the program and 325,000 aspire points, plus 175,000 bonus points. We were told we can use points to pay maintenance fees or anything we can buy. 100,000 points=$1,000
If you don't know if it's a good deal, you should cancel. Consider yourself lucky you found this website. Many users just like you come here owning thousands with no recourse but to default because their timeshare is worthless.

You can extract value out of owning a timeshare, but it isn't for everyone. Don't make an expensive mistake. Recind.

Last edited:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everybody is correct. Developer timeshare prices have roughly 50% of the cost in advertising, administrative, commissions, and customer premiums - so that you are paying way over what the "market" price is. You can buy the same package for $0 - 10% of what you are paying. You need to study this purchase before you can confirm you want it. The "bonuses" are not a reason to buy from the developer. The rescission instructions are in your owner package. Follow them to a T. And, NO, the deal was not good for 1 day only. You can go back and get the same deal anytime you want. But you probably won't want to. And, don't go back to the sales office. They are losing a commission. They will attempt to delay you until your rescission right expires.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Total purchase was $18,234 with 10% down.
I assume you are financing this since you say you put 10% down. Bad idea. Timeshares are luxury purchases and if you can't pay cash, that makes it an even worse purchase. We hear from people every day who are stuck with monthly payments plus every-increasing maintenance fees. They are past the point of rescission and they're stuck. You are one of the fortunate few who have found TUG while you're still in your rescission period. Don't miss this one opportunity to reverse this bad decision and get your money back. Since you don't know if this is a good deal or not, get out of it and do some research.

Stick around TUG and read all you can about the best way to buy and use timeshares. The offer will always be there if, after you've educated yourself, you decide it's a good deal. But, I'm pretty sure you won't think it is quite as good as the salesman made it sound.

RESCIND NOW! Follow the instructions in your contract exactly. Write a simple letter stating you are exercising your legal right to rescind this purchase. You don't have to give any reason for doing so. It's your right. Have everyone who signed the contract also sign the letter. Mail it at the post office using certified mail so that you have a receipt from the post office showing that you rescinded within the stated time period. Keep your receipt and your copy of the letter you mailed. Then relax and be happy that you avoided a costly mistake.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't even think twice about to whether to cancel or not. Just RESCIND and cancel as you only have ONE TIME in which you can wiggle out without taking a financial hit.

Once you rescind, do you homework and then make a decision as to what you want to do. Keep the $18,000 in your pocket and buy resale instead. Chances are it will cost you just pennies on the dollar using the resale market.

Follow the rescission instructions exactly, and send your rescission via USPS CERTIFIED MAIL. Any purchaser who signed the purchase agreement also needs to sign the rescission paperwork.

Your refund can take as long as 45 days before it gets back to you, so relax and be patient.

Welcome to TUG.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Capital Resorts is at best a 2nd tier player in the timeshare universe. Your $ 18,234 will be worth $ 0 in 6 days.
Your options of locations is limited.
If you wish to pay full price retail I would suggest spending $18 K on Wyndham or another brand name TS system.
note -[very usable RESALE Wyndham points ownerships are available for a lot less than $ 18K ]

1) I would suggest you rescind .

2 ) start reading TUG & learn about name brand Timeshare systems.
TUG’s Forums by brand are a place to start

3) Rent a few from Last Minute Forum -$800 max. / 45 days max. Visit TUG Marketplace

4) after all the research - then consider buying resale.
In general
1) Paying Maintenance Fees or 'buying anything else" is usually a poor financial use of points.

2) Bonus points are a one time enticement to get you to buy.- then they are gone .
remember they are “ giving you a bonus worth” - $1750 because you are giving them $ 18,235
and your ownership will devalue immediately.

RESCIND NOW - explore at leisure.

Last edited:

DRIless

Reaction score
RUN, Forrest, RUN
In any timeshare program, the ONLY economical way to use your points is to book vacation reservations within your resort group. If you can't use all your points in a year, then you've bought too many. I've seen Capital Vacations for sale on eBay but never seen enough information to even give them a thought. Here are their DESTINATIONS, not really very many. RUN, Forrest, RUN, do you have owner access to their website? If so, you decide for yourself. What is the Maintenance fees on your 175,000 points into the program is it more than $1750?
What are 325,000 aspire points?
Plus 175,000 bonus points (bonus points in most systems might only be used for managed resorts at last minute.)
RUN, Forrest, RUN

Gioconda79

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RUN, Forrest, RUN
In any timeshare program, the ONLY economical way to use your points is to book vacation reservations within your resort group. If you can't use all your points in a year, then you've bought too many. I've seen Capital Vacations for sale on eBay but never seen enough information to even give them a thought. Here are their DESTINATIONS, not really very many. RUN, Forrest, RUN, do you have owner access to their website? If so, you decide for yourself. What is the Maintenance fees on your 175,000 points into the program is it more than $1750?
What are 325,000 aspire points?
Plus 175,000 bonus points (bonus points in most systems might only be used for managed resorts at last minute.)
RUN, Forrest, RUN
325000 aspire points were given because we have access to my son's all inclusive Palace Resort in Cancun. RCI membership will not expire. Maint fees are $1260/year and payable with points...120,000 points and monthly loan payment is also payable with points. Bonus points are only given once. So I was thinking we could pay the monthly payment and maintenance fee with 400,000 points and still have 100,000 to go on vacation. Too good to be true though, this is why we have so many doubts, and need advice

Gioconda79

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Capital Resorts is at best a 2nd tier player in the timeshare universe. Your $ 18,234 will be worth $ 0 in 6 days.
Your options of locations is limited.
If you wish to pay full price retail I would suggest spending $18 K on Wyndham or another brand name TS system.
note -[very usable RESALE Wyndham points ownerships are available for a lot less than $ 18K ]

1) I would suggest you rescind .

2 ) start reading TUG & learn about name brand Timeshare systems.
TUG’s Forums by brand are a place to start

3) Rent a few from Last Minute Forum -$800 max. / 45 days max. Visit TUG Marketplace

4) after all the research - then consider buying resale.
In general
1) Paying Maintenance Fees or 'buying anything else" is usually a poor financial use of points.

2) Bonus points are a one time enticement to get you to buy.- then they are gone .
remember they are “ giving you a bonus worth” - $1750 because you are giving them $ 18,235
and your ownership will devalue immediately.

RESCIND NOW - explore at leisure.
I can rent from one of you guys in this website?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I can rent from one of you guys in this website?

TUG has two rental areas.:
The last minute Forum - $800 max / 45 days or less to check in.
This forum has lots of Orlando and some of everything
You can also post in rentals wanted - if you are looking for something in the next 45 days

Marketplace - which is found in the scroll bar across the top.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
TO The OP Welcome to TUG. "Where Knowledge is Power" by Bacon.
Please RESCIND. ASAP. GOOD LUCK.

DRIless

Reaction score
325000 aspire points were given because we have access to my son's all inclusive Palace Resort in Cancun. RCI membership will not expire. Maint fees are $1260/year and payable with points...120,000 points and monthly loan payment is also payable with points. Bonus points are only given once. So I was thinking we could pay the monthly payment and maintenance fee with 400,000 points and still have 100,000 to go on vacation. Too good to be true though, this is why we have so many doubts, and need advice

You still haven't clued us in as to what an aspire point is?

I personally DO NOT BELIEVE that they're charging you $1260 in maintenance fees and you say that you're going to cash in at a rate higher than your maintenance fee. If that were true, the world would be buying Capital Vacations as an annuity plan.

Last edited:

Gioconda79

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TUG has two rental areas.:
The last minute Forum - $800 max / 45 days or less to check in.
This forum has lots of Orlando and some of everything
You can also post in rentals wanted - if you are looking for something in the next 45 days

Marketplace - which is found in the scroll bar across the top.
That is exactly what my husband said

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what my husband said
Timeshare systems use points, bonuses and other things to hide what they are really doing, which is converting your REAL money to something worth much less.

These systems create their own languages as well, all designed to keep you from the financial truth and prevent you from getting helpful advice from someone on the "outside."

The word "obfuscation" must have been invented after someone attended a timeshare presentation.

For example, they tell you your RCI membership will not expire, but don't tell you that you must pay a fee to use it. Fees are one of the many ways timeshare hide the true cost of using them.

If you go through with this, you will likely be saddled with thousands in debt at an exorbitant interest rate. You will likely find you must pay $1260 in maintenance fees along with the yearly cost of an RCI membership if you want to exchange. You will probably find you could have bought a better timeshare for $1.

You may be wondering, "are timeshares really this bad?" The issue isn't that they are "bad" -- I really enjoy staying in them and I own one -- it's in how they are sold.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You have a limited time to rescind. You have a lifetime to purchase again, retail or resale, when you are more informed.

an9elia

Reaction score
Run... Cancel ASAP .. Follow instructions carefully and get proof of delivery.

an9elia

Reaction score
You can only sell half of your points for a fraction of what you paid for them with 40% commission taken out.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the last time the original poster was on TUG was almost 11 months ago. They never said whether or not they rescinded. Y'know the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.'

Tumblindice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker
Canx now. Follow instructions exactly. Make sure to use usps. Make a trip to post office. You need proof of mailing/receipt if they say the never got it. Don’t wait. Send out tomorrow.
That is exactly how I did it, no problems!

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Too late for me to say it's a heckuva deal! She already knows what could go wrong!