• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Capital Vacation Club - Owners Update at Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort January 2023

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Just sat through an owners update at Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort. We own a couple of weeks here as resales that we bought years ago - never actually expected there to be owners updates here as the resort hasn't been in active sales for years, the HOA having shifted the sales of resort owned weeks to a Florida real estate agency (NetRealty, IIRC). The existence of the updates is due to Capital Vacations having bought out VRI and taken over management of the resort.

The pitch was to convert our week ownerships to points in Capital Vacations Club by buying additional points with the option to add Aspire points based on our other ownerships. We could have achieved their Platinum VIP status at a cost of only about $20K by trading in our fixed week/unit ownerships here, purchasing another 175,000 points and enrolling 300,000 points worth of external ownerships. Net result of that would have been doubling the annual maintenance fee cost of the points we converted our currently owned weeks into plus having to pay for the maintenance fees on the additional points and an additional $60/100K in the Aspire points, which are the equivalent to PIC Plus in Wyndham or Exchange Plus in WorldMark. Converting the external ownership to points would be a possibility on a year-by-year basis for an additional cost.

We declined the various offers made. The closing offer was a 10-year term contract for conversion of one of the weeks for ~$9K which would have had the benefit of offloading a lower value week with an exit plan because it would entail deeding the week over to them as part of the transaction. We didn't really feel that the option had sufficient value as the cost up front is equal to about 12 years of maintenance fees on the week and would obligate us to maintenance fees for the points that would have been a bit over double the maintenance fees on the week. Bottom line, it will be cheaper to continue owning the week for the next twenty years than it would be to convert it, though they held out the possibility of renting out the points.

One amusing part of the sales pitch was the use of the old Wyndham cancel and rebook sales incentive that would be inherent in the VIP benefits without noting that those VIP benefits are subject to change. The idea being that you could call in at the 14 day point and have them cancel your reservation then book a smaller unit and give you the same one at the reduced cost through the upgrade - they also omitted discussion of the cancellation penalty of all of your points for that timeframe unless you purchase the points protection plan when you make the reservation at a cost of $150.

I've added a picture of the VIP benefits from the 2022 directory. I have a copy of it if anyone has any further questions on the program. It has many elements that I've seen in other programs though the details vary, of course. Overall impression is that it isn't an entirely bad program but the costs for what you get give me the impression that it's a champagne budget for Bud light. If this results in the overall quality for the underlying resorts coming up to meet those cost levels it will be a major win for legacy owners at the resorts as a lot of the costs appear to be going towards the internal and external exchange capabilities. No doubt some of the higher costs are going to Apollo, too. Happy to answer any questions.
CV VIP.jpg

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The upgrade to points .....
-and significantly increase your MF seems to be a feature of Capital Vacation Clubs movement into managing Legacy Resorts.

alexinorlando

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a comprehensive point chart for any of the resorts. Do you know where I can see that?

Also have they done any upgrades to the units at Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort (or plan to)?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Haven’t seen a comprehensive listing. I have the 2022 directory and would be happy to post from that whatever resort you’d be interested in; it doesn’t include Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort yet.

There do seem to have started upgrading some of the units here. There were a couple propped open on our floor that had new flooring and looked quite nice. No idea what the plans are, though. Currently the hot tub is closed for some repairs/upgrades.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
... and they try to scare you into thinking if you don't upgrade to points your MF's will double or triple without mentioning that you are automatically looking at an automatic doubling of your fees if you do convert to the points. Eric B knew enough to discover that but it isn't something they mention if you don't specifically ask about it.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, the sales staff seemed to be mostly ex-Wyndham sales with some Diamond experience in there as well.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oddly enough, im going thru all the capital resorts to "link" them behind the scenes to that point program...and holy smokes there are a TON of resorts they claim!

are all of these resorts included in their new point system?

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian: As I understand it, only those VRI managed resorts that signed Capital Advantage Agreements are connected to the point program. So, check the press releases. The governing body of a resort must agree to join, and many have not at this time. For example, all the VRI resorts on Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach are too busy with rebuilding to even consider any Capital overtures. Sanibel Beach Club is not linked to the point program.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
oddly enough, im going thru all the capital resorts to "link" them behind the scenes to that point program...and holy smokes there are a TON of resorts they claim!

are all of these resorts included in their new point system?

The ones with the circled check marks are supposed to be in the points system. However, when we asked them to show us the points chart for Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort, which is where we are and where we own amongst those resorts, they couldn't show us because it supposedly hadn't been added yet. Here's a snapshot of what they have listings for in the 2022 directory:
CV TOC.jpg

The points they offered as a trade-in for our weeks seem in line with comparable resorts in this area for week number and unit size, though. On an interesting note, the real estate agent that has been handling sales of resort owned weeks here for quite a while continues to have listings for lots of them. This gives me the impression that Capital Vacations isn't terribly interested in investing much in the resort with an eye to bringing it up to "their standards," although they said a lot about that as a goal. Instead, I've got the impression that they have an agreement that allows them to offer legacy owners an option to purchase their point product and convert their ownerships to points by trading them in for their point value.

For us, the transaction would have included trading in a week 4 2 BR LO for 375,000 points and would have taken our MFs from $ 965.42 per year to $2,352.86 per year. For comparison sake, I could stay at Marriott's Beachplace Towers down the road in a 2 BR for 3,675 Club Points that same week and my cost for those is about $0.42 using elected Vistana weeks, so the cost in cash would be $1,543.50 - I'd be going from a budget stay in a 3 star for 2/3 of the Marriott cost to the same stay for 1 1/2 times the cost.

Talking to some folks here that have gone through the presentations it doesn't seem like many are taking them up on the offers, likely because of the more than doubling of the costs of ownership for a capital cost in the low five figures.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If they take over a resort and the HOA had unsold inventory they would take those and put them in points. That inventory would likely be off season stuff that was defaulted on by the owner. So having a resort in points inventory doesn't mean that there is even one good week available until they can convince those owners to convert.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they take over a resort and the HOA had unsold inventory they would take those and put them in points. That inventory would likely be off season stuff that was defaulted on by the owner. So having a resort in points inventory doesn't mean that there is even one good week available until they can convince those owners to convert.
That's why I mentioned the large inventory of resort owned weeks for sale by the realtor that lists them for the HOA. They have 21 pages of listings for weeks at Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort and the vast majority are resort owned. If Capital Vacations were to actually take over all of those and put them in points, that would mean that Capital Vacations would need to pay the maintenance fees for those weeks. The net result of that would likely be a major cash infusion for the HOA and a reduction in the costs for legacy owners, which would be nice but likely unsustainable for Capital Vacations as a business model. The majority of the unsold weeks are in the off season here as one would expect for the reasons you mentioned - even the ones that are unsold in the high season are more likely to make more money as rentals for the resort than they are as exchange inventory, so there would be a chance they'd be used that way.

The other option for them is to list it in the club as an associate resort rather than a club resort. There are a handful of those, including Silver Lake - that's where I found a few threads of information on the program before taking one for the team and going to the sales pitch. I suspect those are resorts where Capital Vacations either doesn't want to take on all the unsold inventory and make it part of the trust underlying the points or can't get enough of a percentage of the ownership of the resort to give it control of the HOA.

Purely my speculation, of course. I do agree that it will be tougher to get good week reservations through their point program here, though. Hurricane season shouldn't be a problem.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I noticed a good number of innseason resorts in the list as well...

certainly a great marketing tool....if not the least bit accurate!

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Capital has taken over a number of resort management firms (VRI, SPM, Defender) and at least one developer (Summer Winds). Their last acquisition was backed by private equity firm Apollo Global Management. I expect Apollo is looking for substantial return on their investment. These moves certainly puts Capital in position to develop a 'vacation club' along the lines of DRI. Although a developer (Summer Winds) was purchased according to Capital's 2019 press release, has Capital actually 'developed' anything?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Capital was the first and only timeshare company involved at 84 Main in Kennebunk, Maine and Waterside in Edenton, NC. I believe they both were originally set to be non timeshares but the original development failed and Capital purchased them to be used as timeshares.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Waterside was definitely initially developed as whole-ownership units. And there's only one building there; it doesn't look like Capital is doing anything about building out that resort (they did finish the pool/grill gazebo, I believe.)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just received the Annual Owners meeting Notice for Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, which includes some details of the current state of affairs between the resort and Capital Vacations. These are the significant ones:
  • Capital Vacations has rented the former sales center on the roof of the building for an initial one year term.
  • 250 HOA owned weeks have been transferred to CRG Club Trust (a Capital Vacations Trust) resulting in MF income to the HOA that wasn't previously being received.
  • Another 250 HOA owned weeks and delinquent owner weeks are being rented to Capital Vacations for 2023.
The staff and employees are staying the same at the resort and the management is continuing in the same manner as it was previously per the discussion in the Notice. On the last sales listing from the realtor offering the resort owned weeks for sale there were about 900, so the transfer of 250 to Capital Vacations doesn't give them a majority. That might change if they convince enough owners to convert to their system, but anecdotally there were only a couple of owners that took them up on it during the time we were down there.

Notably, the Notice includes the status of existing work plans completed and in progress prior to the acquisition of VRI by Capital Vacations. Some of those were things the sales folks were trying to take credit for during the sales pitch, so beware (as usual).

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious to know if they mentioned ARDA at all during the pitches? We were in myrtle beach and went for the presentation. The Sales guys mentioned ARDA at least 3 times..

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Curious to know if they mentioned ARDA at all during the pitches? We were in myrtle beach and went for the presentation. The Sales guys mentioned ARDA at least 3 times..
I don’t recall them mentioning ARDA. It might have come up, but wasn’t a major point if it did.