• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canyon Villas Questions

MLP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We are going to Canyon Villas next week, I have a couple of questions.

Does anyone know if laundry facilities are available for owners using the lock-off unit (studio)?

Are owners allowed to use the Wildfire golf range free of charge?

Thanks,
Paul

Darwin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the studio side does not have laundry but there are coin laundry machines in each building. I don't know about the golf. Beautiful resort with access to the JW across the street.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe the studio side does not have laundry but there are coin laundry machines in each building. I don't know about the golf. Beautiful resort with access to the JW across the street.

Surprised they are coin operated. Every MVCI property we have stayed at, the "community" laundry was always free.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are owners allowed to use the Wildfire golf range free of charge?

No.
But last time I was out they had a cheap group lesson that was less than range change and got you range use for the day.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi! Here right now and checked with the desk. The golf range is not free.

Weather is beautiful and the JW is outstanding.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also add to go out to the range in early evening.

The Rabbits have learned it is safer to be close to the hotel, so the grounds are covered with rabbits.

My daughter loved watching the little rabbits come out each night.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also add to go out to the range in early evening.

The Rabbits have learned it is safer to be close to the hotel, so the grounds are covered with rabbits.

My daughter loved watching the little rabbits come out each night.

But also keep an eye out for coyote. We were walking from hotel to villas and saw something run across the course and asked the front desk. Yes, coyote roam around at night.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
We also saw a bobcat chase a couple of little rabbits right down the steps leading from the pool area to the grass outside the main lobby at the JW. It disappeared into the bushes, but security personnel materialized from all directions. We were having a late lunch at the tables near the grass area, and there were lots of kids around the grass so they searched awhile, but the wiley bobcat must have retreated quickly.

Steve

Reaction score
Lazy River at the JW

How is the lazy river at the JW? Is it well heated? Is the current fast enough to make it fun?

Steve

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Lazy River is very slow. The pool at the JW was so crowded Saturday we left after 30 minutes. Chairs were touching side-by-side the whole length of the lazy river.

We have a discussion group for Canyon Villas Owners at the link below

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CVnewsgroup/

This is the place to share information about Canyon Villas
The yahoo group administrator is at MCV this week and I will be at the NCV activities meeting Monday 9:00

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
We have a discussion group for Canyon Villas Owners at the link below

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CVnewsgroup/

This is the place to share information about Canyon Villas
The yahoo group administrator is at MCV this week and I will be at the NCV activities meeting Monday 9:00

If I read the activity chart correctly, it looks like there were only 3 messages in all of 2011. Doesn't seem very active board or CV owners.

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is the lazy river at the JW? Is it well heated? Is the current fast enough to make it fun?

Steve

I thought the lazy river from Feb12-24 was nice and a good current for a hotel lazy river.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If I read the activity chart correctly, it looks like there were only 3 messages in all of 2011. Doesn't seem very active board or CV owners.

You read that correctly. Though it only has 50 members. There are 17 message so far for March 2012 though.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
You read that correctly. Though it only has 50 members. There are 17 message so far for March 2012 though.

You got that right. These groups take effort to get off the ground. The OPnewsgroup now has over 500 members and is very active. We get applications on a regular basis because owners share the website with those they meet around the resort.

I haven't been to Canyon Villas for several years and am trying again to get this going. There is no catch. It's just owners sharing with owners. It's not meant to replace TUG. In fact, we repeatedly recommend TUG to those who don't know about it.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
5 new applicants so far this week :D This is satisfying since it is so hard to step out of my comfort zone and ask people I meet if they're owners.

Many have an immediate look of suspicion. It's odd, but those who have exchanged into the resort seem the most friendly. I've been asked "What's in it for you?" This morning at the donut fest one woman's response was "Do you have a problem here?" I told her it's not meant to be a gripe group. She said that besides Canyon Villas she also owns at another non-Marriott resort with a similar group but it's one for problems.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
5 new applicants so far this week :D This is satisfying since it is so hard to step out of my comfort zone and ask people I meet if they're owners.

Many have an immediate look of suspicion. It's odd, but those who have exchanged into the resort seem the most friendly. I've been asked "What's in it for you?" This morning at the donut fest one woman's response was "Do you have a problem here?" I told her it's not meant to be a gripe group. She said that besides Canyon Villas she also owns at another non-Marriott resort with a similar group but it's one for problems.

Don't worry about your comfort zone.... just wear a T-Shirt that says "Ask me about joining the Canyon Villa Owners News Group" on both sides and walk around the resort all day.

You'll have plenty of owners chasing you down out of curiosity and asking you for information. Be sure you carry a hand out sheet which provides easy instructions for potential applicants to follow in order to sign up.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about your comfort zone.... just wear a T-Shirt that says "Ask me about joining the Canyon Villa Owners News Group" on both sides and walk around the resort all day.

You'll have plenty of owners chasing you down out of curiosity and asking you for information. Be sure you carry a hand out sheet which provides easy instructions for potential applicants to follow in order to sign up.

That's like my friend at OP who wears a t-shirt saying "I survived 8 weeks in a lock-off". :D

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd still have to step out of comfort zone to do that. Heading to yoga. . .maybe I'll find some owners there.

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard that Quilter survived one week in three lock-off's! But as a consolation her hubby booked her into two fantastic Caribbean weeks. :wave:

Someone asked on TUG about room selection. I walked up and down the property to verify the choices. The East facing units at the end of each building face the golf course, third floor might have a mountain view.

Building 2300 and 2400 are non-lockoff buildings with 2 full size beds in the second BR. This was a must for me, daughter is tired of sharing a bed with her grandma.

Building 2400 - 2500 - 2600 surround a new courtyard with five comfy seating areas, two fire pits and big sails for sun shades. This was pleasant and you might want to sit in the shade when temps break over 90.

For more conversations with CV owners try the CVNEWSGROUP on Yahoo. I changed my 2013 reservation this week. I put a very high demand week 9 which is college Spring Break and Cactus baseball back to Marriott to get a later date. I put the deposit news on the CV Owner's group so members would be able to get that week if they had been blanked at the 12 month and 13 month inventory release dates.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canyon Villas Recent Experiences

We recently returned from a 6 night stay using DC points at Canyon villas in a 1BR. Although we had an initial problem at check-in with villa assignment, we were able to get a golf course view room. However, it wasn't ready until 5:30pm.

We really enjoyed the dining experiences at the JW restaurants. Roy's has a great special on Monday nights: $39 for any 3 course meal on the menu. The lobster potstickers, Ohno entree, and service were outstanding. They also have a great happy hour with appetizer and drink discounts. The (Meritage?) restaurant at the golf cours also was great and had sundown dinner specials until 6:30pm. Between the restaurants at the JW, In-and Out Burger, and the food we bought at Costco, we hardly left the resort area. New equipment was also recently installed in the weight room, and it now is very well equipped.

If onyone needs an additional night in the area, I highly recommend the Residence Inn near the Mayo Clinic. This is only2-3 exits away, and is much nicer than other RI's and has an excellent pool area. We had originally planned to spend the night in Flagstaff, but had to flee the area to avoid 24 in of snow. The RI was a great alternative.