• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canterbury San Fransisco

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
I booked a weekend at Canterbury the end of May, anniversary weekend!! Has anyone flown into San Fransisco, and taken BART, Uber, Or any other form of transportation to downtown, and could offer advice on the best way to go?? Thanks in advance for any help!!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
BART to the downtown area and then Uber.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Sure, BART is a great option for getting to the wharf area. You just need to pay attention to where you want to get off of BART and buy the ticket accordingly. It's a short walk from Union station to Canterbury (but it depends on how healthy you are). And don't take my word for it. San Francisco has a wonderful public trans system. You can see it here: https://sfbaytransit.org/sfmuni/route

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I just take uber... Not that bad as long as surge in demand pricing is in effect. I made that mistake the first time I went and lets just say that was my most expensive uber ride ever.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would offer that BART is the most economical way to go and pretty efficient, as long as you don't have too much luggage. From Powell Street station to the Canterbury is about a 1/2 mile walk. If you can do that with your luggage, then take BART.

Otherwise, there is taxis or Uber. However, as others have noted, the time of day and/or traffic conditions can make that an expensive proposition.

I have a love/hate relationship with BART, but I'm glad its there and an option for getting into the city. The airport extension gets lots of use.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
It is a reasonable walk, but it is a bit uphill. Make it easy and Uber that last bit to the resort.

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Thank you all for the input, it's greatly appreciated....

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
People keep saying Uber, but Lyft also has a large presence in San Francisco. I haven't used either, yet, but my dd used Lyft quite a bit on a trip to San Francisco.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We flew into SF in September 2017 and took Lyft to and from the Inn at the Opera. We don’t like having to drag our luggage on & off trains, so the cost (which I’ve forgotten) was worth it to us.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have almost always used BART but we travel light (one carry on each). I wouldn't do it with multiple pieces of luggage. We did a shared shuttle once and stopped so many times between the airport and Union Square that it took forever, so I wouldn't do that again.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We use a private car service. It's the way dh likes to travel.

When we lived in the San Francisco Bay area I would take BART to SFO, usually with just one small bag. I've also taken BART into San Francisco (again with one small bag) and walked to wherever it was I was staying. This was all when I was younger. Now I'm with dh. I'll take the car service from Point A to Point B. :)

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We sure wished we had walked east and then south to get to the piers, instead of south and then east (from the Canterbury). Our route took us through the Tenderloin District. There are homeless people everywhere in SF, but the Tenderloin District is particularly 'raw'. Striking out on foot and not really knowing what we were doing may not have been the best idea.

My son worked on Sutter St, just a few blocks for the Canterbury. He used the BART all the time. As others have said, the public transportation there is very good. His first year there he did not own a car.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We sure wished we had walked east and then south to get to the piers, instead of south and then east (from the Canterbury). Our route took us through the Tenderloin District. There are homeless people everywhere in SF, but the Tenderloin District is particularly 'raw'. Striking out on foot and not really knowing what we were doing may not have been the best idea.

My son worked on Sutter St, just a few blocks for the Canterbury. He used the BART all the time. As others have said, the public transportation there is very good. His first year there he did not own a car.
I'm curious what route you took, or maybe which piers you were going to, that would take you through the Tenderloin from the Canterbury.

We often stay at the Hilton Union Square, which is almost on the border of the Tenderloin. During the day it's not too bad.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
We were there in Dec. Tenderloin is Horrible! We stayed at The Suites at Fishermans Wharf and it was better in that area. We did take an Uber to the Canterbury and I’m so glad I did. I couldn’t imagine walking it from the Wharf. Too many uphill streets

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I'm curious what route you took, or maybe which piers you were going to, that would take you through the Tenderloin from the Canterbury.

We often stay at the Hilton Union Square, which is almost on the border of the Tenderloin. During the day it's not too bad.
I believe we just started walking south, and that was a big mistake. Three of us just out to see the city, figured we'd get to the piers and see the city on the way. I also was looking at the city through a mother's eyes (my son's first apartment there was in the Tenderloin district). Thus not a direct route, I believe we went south, then east, hit the water, and would have had to backtrack to the piers. People peeing in the planters, literally shooting up while we stepped around them, a big eye opener. There seemed to be a homeless person in most every stoop. Not just Tenderloin, all over. Sorry to be a downer about SF, beyond thankful my son is back in Omaha.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We used Bart for the last time about 6 years ago. It was alright but then we had to get a ride to the hotel from downtown. It was a bit of a hassle. The last trip we used a private driver and this is how we will roll from now on. Kathy gave us her number and we would call her for rides when we needed one. We had four in our group. She had a big stretch Lincoln that was really nice. She was also a good resource for things to do. I think it was about $60 + tip from SFO to the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I believe we just started walking south, and that was a big mistake. Three of us just out to see the city, figured we'd get to the piers and see the city on the way. I also was looking at the city through a mother's eyes (my son's first apartment there was in the Tenderloin district). Thus not a direct route, I believe we went south, then east, hit the water, and would have had to backtrack to the piers. People peeing in the planters, literally shooting up while we stepped around them, a big eye opener. There seemed to be a homeless person in most every stoop. Not just Tenderloin, all over. Sorry to be a downer about SF, beyond thankful my son is back in Omaha.
I swear I must be blind when I walk around San Francisco. We spend a few nights there each year on our way to and from Maui. Yes, I've seen homeless, but I tend to see homeless all over. But I haven't encountered many of the problems others see when they are there.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t imagine walking it from the Wharf. Too many uphill streets

There's a lovely trick to help with the hills if you don't mind walking a bit farther
to avoid all the elevation changes. All the SF bicyclists know a route called
"The Wiggle" that circumnavigates most of the steep hills. For getting from
the Canterbury to Fisherman's Wharf, you can walk a couple of extra blocks
to Polk Street - which is *almost* flat! Link for map below:

https://goo.gl/maps/Ba1yS1728hnncxSNA