• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cannot get through to Social Security office

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a problem that doesn't fall into any normal category.
My social security which is only $54 a month is not enough to pay for my Medicare. I have spent 4 days calling both social Security and Medicare to try to get a form for auto deduction from my checking account. this is only the first part of my problem. I reached Medicare, but they don't handle billing. I cannot get through to social Security. i have tried for 4 days and they just disconnect me, saying to call back later. They won't allow me to stay on hold. To top this off I have another problem, I have to pay an additional $25.80 a month income related premium amount. I was sent a bill for my Medicare for December, and it does not include the income related amount. i am trying to get a person to tell me what to do.
I am going to write a letter and include a second check for the income related charge, but it doesn't mean I won't have the problem every month, which is why i need to speak to a person. If I can get the form to hve this auto paid out of my checking account, it will be a lot easier. Am I the only person (beside my husband)who gets less social Security than Medicare costs?

Does anyone know how to get this form.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Have you tried going to you local social security office in person?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I do not want to go to local SS office. i don't have an appointment, that means I will have to wait hours to be seen. I can't get through to make an appointment. It is downtown in a big city. I cannot even get the car for long enough to get a haircut, I don't have an entire day to sit in an office hoping to be seen.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Call the local office of your US Congressman (House of Representatives). They will have a staff member who can help you. Every government office has a small group of people who only deal with "official" inquiries. Your congressman's office can get it straightened out for you much easier and quicker than you can.

Before you call, write down everything you will need Social Security to know, including dates, amounts, your SS#, etc.

I'm sure it will work. I've used that avenue for things a couple of times; I also worked for the County Welfare Department in LA eons ago, and that's how I learned about these special units.

Fern

I have a problem that doesn't fall into any normal category.
My social security which is only $54 a month is not enough to pay for my Medicare. I have spent 4 days calling both social Security and Medicare to try to get a form for auto deduction from my checking account. this is only the first part of my problem. I reached Medicare, but they don't handle billing. I cannot get through to social Security. i have tried for 4 days and they just disconnect me, saying to call back later. They won't allow me to stay on hold. To top this off I have another problem, I have to pay an additional $25.80 a month income related premium amount. I was sent a bill for my Medicare for December, and it does not include the income related amount. i am trying to get a person to tell me what to do.
I am going to write a letter and include a second check for the income related charge, but it doesn't mean I won't have the problem every month, which is why i need to speak to a person. If I can get the form to hve this auto paid out of my checking account, it will be a lot easier. Am I the only person (beside my husband)who gets less social Security than Medicare costs?

Does anyone know how to get this form.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Early in morning

I have a similar problem, except my Medicare comes out of my Govt. retirement. I tried calling early in morning, whenever they open, started before and got someone who handled it on the phone.

Good Luck

Nancy

geekette

Reaction score
I don't think you will get resolution without making a personal appearance. You can continue to try to phone, but, that seems like more of a time-waster to me.

Good luck.

mfratkin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I work at the Social Security Administration in Baltimore but work in the Information Technology or Computer application area. I checked around to see who you might be able to contact and found the following:

Office of Public Inquiries, SSA
4-C-5 Annex Building
6401 Security Boulevard
Baltimore, Maryland 21235
410-965-9413

Fax: 410-965-0695

I hope that this helps.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to take care of something at the Social Security office recently, and it wasn't nearly as bad as it used to be. They have new check-in procedures that put people into separate groups as soon as you get in the door, so if you have something fairly straightforward, you don't have to wait behind the people who have really intricate problems. I was in the "people with somewhat intricate problems" line, and I was in and out in about 30 minutes. It really is better!

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
the phone will not help. I had the same trouble getting onto SS. but if you're willing to give up the 2 hr wait time, everything will be set in motion right then. (bring books, magazines) ---ken

I had an app't and still had a 2 hr wait.

The Conch Man

Reaction score
You already know that I'm drawing SS & my wife just went down to the SS office to start drawing her's. I know that I have tried many times to call the local office & had the same problem, when we were their last, I asked the same question bout the phone, they won't answer as they said they are short handed & way to many people calling-in. They stopped answering the phone some time ago. When you call the 800 # all they do is submit what you tell them to the local office but they don't do anything cause they are back-log! I know I tried three times with never a follow-up.

The only way you are going to get what ya need done, you have to go-in at the Naples office which I believe is better than the Ft Myers office & wait just like everyone else. Its sad but right now there is no alternative. The most we have waited is 2 hours but do go-in on a Thursday & not during the 1st days of the week as they are very busy. I can only give you our experience.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing you didn't get thru as you can't believe anything they tell you anyway.

If you want to have an enlightening day, just go down and sit in the Social Security office and just watch and listen. That's better than a "D Ticket".

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
well to top everything off we have car trouble (and plumbing trouble too) with a trip planned on Sat. There is no way I can have the car for what would be 3 to 4 hours on Friday.
I know there is a different number you need to call to get set up for automatic withdrawal, but i just can't seem to find it. I will try all the other suggestions first.

topic list will not help. contact us will not help. Now I will try the 410 area code number.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you think, should i mail in a check for the amount owed and add an additional check for the additional amount or just wait for a separate bill for the additional amount? With us leaving on Sat for a week, I have to get the check in the mail tomorrow or I will be late with the payment.

by the way, i did try calling early in the morning, late in the evening and everytime in between.

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call your state Department of Aging if your state has one. Here in PA the Dept. of Aging has the Aprise program that helps people with Medicare and Social Security problems.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the form my husband used to authorize preauthorized payments for Medicare. I whited out his info and put in mine. Now where in the world do i mail it ?
I also have to pay the additional $26 and I dont' know where to mail it.
Live in Florida

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you so much. I copied the address and will get the form in the mail.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just gets more and more ridiculous.

The form I sent to the PIttsburg address (in which i included a check for the increased amount owed) came back as no longer at this box number.

I was given a St. Louis number and I sent the form to them too.
I received a letter from them that they cannot do automatic deduction from my checking account, they must take from my social security payment - which as I previously stated is ony $54 and not enough to cover Medicare. There must be someone out there that can help me, but i cannot find them.

Last edited:

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
DH has his Medicare taken out from our checking account. They send me a statement every month. Just got one. The address on it is P. O. Box 790355, St Louis the phone number they give is 1-800-633-4227 but you probably already have this info. Thought I'd give it a shot tho. It says on this paper if you have any questions about this, visit any SS office or call 1-800-772-1213.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
No, I do not want to go to local SS office. i don't have an appointment, that means I will have to wait hours to be seen. I can't get through to make an appointment. It is downtown in a big city. I cannot even get the car for long enough to get a haircut, I don't have an entire day to sit in an office hoping to be seen.

Rapmarks,

I think in this instance you would be best served by making an appointment and going in person to see a customer service rep to resolve your problem. Here is the link for the Social Security Florida Area office info

I find I'm able to get through if you call as soon as they open at 7am. Also if the line is busy - try the TDD toll free number.

Good luck

Richard

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
well I guess my problem is solved.

Medicare just sent me a bill for $992.80. they say i have to pay for the year in advance!!!!!!That is the diffeence between my Medicare payment minus my social security amount.