• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancun to Merida by bus

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
How challenging is this?? How expensive?

We can't get frequent flier seats out of Cancun on our desired day so I am thinking of taking the bus to Merida on checkout day, spending one night, and flying home from Merida at 3:30 in the afternoon the next day.

Is this do-able? Are there interesting things to see in the area? Can we see Chichen Itza in this amount of time? Are we crazy to not spend 2 nights there?

Last edited:

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not difficult and not expensive. We have done the same in reverse and gone to Cancun by bus (ADO GL) after a few days in Merida.

If you like ruins then Merida is a great place to use as a base of operations while visiting ruins on the Puuc Route.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
Yuk. Husband is poo-pooing my plan due to his concern about a 4 hour bus ride in mexico in the heat of summer (late June).

Would renting a car one way be feasible here??

ragtop

TUG Member
Reaction score
These buses are air-conditioned and can be so cold that your husband's bigger concern might be whether he's dressed warmly enough!

jschmidt

Reaction score
Yuk. Husband is poo-pooing my plan due to his concern about a 4 hour bus ride in mexico in the heat of summer (late June).

My wife and her friend had to buy long sleeve shirts at the Wal-Mart in Merida for the bus trip back to Cancun. They froze on the trip there.

You could also take a plane from Merida to Cancun. We’ve done that in the past. It’s a very short trip.

I won’t rent a car in Cancun anymore. When I was there two weeks ago, I talked with a guy at Hora Feliz and he told me his horror story. He rented a car at the Tri-Royals and was less than 2 km down the road when the Policia stopped him. They claimed he was speeding and that they would let him go if he gave them U.S. $100. (No receipt!) They claimed the fine would be U.S. $200 if he went to court. No one at Hora Feliz knew for sure how much the actual fine was, but we felt that the average Mexican could not afford U.S. $200.

After that I started watching for the Policia when I was riding on the bus. In three bus trips to El Centro I saw at least six tourists that were stopped by the Policia. The Policia had the drivers outside to the rear of the car and were putting the “Pay-off” pitch on them. These guys have to making at least U.S. $1,000 a day in bribes. The rental car stickers on the car bumper are like a Policia Magnet. They just can’t resist stopping them. :eek:

Last edited:

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
Who flies that route?

jschmidt

Reaction score
Who flies that route?

Mexicana Airlines is the one we used. There may be others.

If you fly, you will have gone through customs in Merida, which means when you arrive in Cancun it will be very simple to claim your baggage and catch a cab or van to your resort. You will arrive at Terminal 2.

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are first class buses... air conditioned, movies, snacks.

Nicer than some planes I have been on.

RFW

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, we took the bus from Cancun to Merida and back. It was a no brainer, and a very comfortable ride, as others have said. There are actually two bus stops in Merida. The bus stops at the Fiesta Americana, then proceeds to the downtown bus terminal. We opted to come and go at the Fiesta Americana, to avoid the hub bub at the bus terminal. A taxi was readily available to get downtown, where we were staying, and way cheap.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
Thank you - It now is just my 22 year old daughter and I - husband and son not going. We now are planning to stay overnight enroute in Valladolid. Does the following seem feasible?

We are thinking about leaving Cancun (after staying at Lagunamar for the week) in the morning, taking bus to Valladolid (booked at Casa Hamaca B&B), visiting a ceynote that afternoon/evening and then checking out Chichen Itza bright and early in the morning before we depart via bus for Merida to catch a 3:35 pm departure to Mexico City/Tijuana (domestic flight).

Any other suggestions?

And, can we do the Uno bus stopping in Valladolid or do we need to look at the Ado bus? Is there a significant difference?

Last edited: