• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancun restaurant review

Reaction score
Just got back from a week in Cancun. I was surprised by the quality of food there. The restaurants were very good, but quite expensive.

El Shrimp Bucket - good shrimp, around $20 for entree.

Lorenzillo's - fabulous lobster tacos ($25 for appetizer).

Porterhouse Grill - best filet mignon I've ever had (beats Ruth's Chris) but carries U.S. steakhouse prices.

Pacal - upscale Mayan cuisine, I was the only diner. Pate was good (but not Mayan).

La Destileria - closest thing to Tex/Mex while I was in Cancun.

Hacienda El Mortero - Great beef tacos and fajitas.

Somewhere along the way, I got sick but I can't pinpoint which restaurant caused.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Most of the Cancun restaurants are good -they have to be to survive. The ones you mentioned are probably on the high side price wise and there still are some inexpensive places in town. Many restaurants were a bargain less than a decade ago, but prices have gone up considerably since there was a willingness to pay more. It seems we chatted about Cancun not too awful long ago, the unusal handle you use is quite memorable.

KarenK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric in McLean said:
Just got back from a week in Cancun. I was surprised by the quality of food there. The restaurants were very good, but quite expensive.

El Shrimp Bucket - good shrimp, around $20 for entree.
It's been there forever and usually looks deserted.

Lorenzillo's - fabulous lobster tacos ($25 for appetizer).

Porterhouse Grill - best filet mignon I've ever had (beats Ruth's Chris) but carries U.S. steakhouse prices.
I had it recommended to me this year and everyone said it was wonderful; as you said, better than Ruth's Chris.

Pacal - upscale Mayan cuisine, I was the only diner. Pate was good (but not Mayan).
Like El Shrimp Bucket, it always looks deserted. Glad to hear the food is good.

La Destileria - closest thing to Tex/Mex while I was in Cancun.
Had a wonderful fish dishg wrapped in foil. Margaritas were about 15.00 US. The fish cost as much as the margarita!

Hacienda El Mortero - Great beef tacos and fajitas.

Somewhere along the way, I got sick but I can't pinpoint which restaurant caused.

Some other great "local" places include La Parrilla, El Cejas downtown in the market, and Mocambo, in the Hotel Zone at the Xcaret ticket office.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other choices?

How about some good places to eat that are more inexpensive?

And close to the Royal Sands?

I am FINALLY getting to go to the Sands over Easter in 2006, so all the info is appreciated.

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you walk out of the Sands and cross the road (look both ways) and turn left there is a place called La Placita on the lagoon side that was quite reasonable.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
The area around the Sand is not low rent, so most of what you will find is higher priced. There's always the food court in the Kukulcan Mall for a cheap lunch.

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
tonyg said:
The area around the Sand is not low rent, so most of what you will find is higher priced. There's always the food court in the Kukulcan Mall for a cheap lunch.

Tony -

What would you suggest for a really nice meal near the Royal Sands if cost isn't an issue?

Thanks,
Dick

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We found the food at Hacienda Sisal (used to be the Bandstand) to be really delicious! I was surprised because the Royals don't always have the best tasting dishes.

There are lots of places to eat that are fairly close - many within walking distance - La Destileria, La Madonna (at La Isla), La Dolce Vita (Italian and elegant). We really enjoyed the Plantation House - situated over the lagoon - fresh fish and lobsters

Maria Bonita is another fun Mexican place to go - the requisite mariachis and a very good seafood chile relleno. It's somewhat difficult to find - kind of tucked away where the road bends at the top of the "7"

La Parilla in downtown Cancun is inexpensive and has true Mexican food. Their specialty are the pork tacos where the meat is cooked on outdoor spits.

My kids liked Champions at the Marriott. Honestly - the food was mediocre and the service atrocious. BUT: It was great fun to watch the NCAA playoffs there! Everyone got into the cheering

There are always new places opening up - try someplace different and then let us all know how it was!

Blue Skies

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll second Hacienda Sisal and La Dolce Vita - both were excellent when we were there in March. Both of these restaurants will give you a discount if you stay at the Royals.

For inexpensive, we really like Pizza Rolandi. The pizza is very good, they also have pasta, but we didn't try any when we were there. Unfortunately, it is not near the Sands, but just hop on the bus, you'll be there in a flash.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
The Sands restaurant has been getting good commentary, Kukulcan has Ruth Cris and a good italian restaurant. La Dolce Vita is classy. The more inexpensive places are downtown and make for an interesting bus and walking trip. The plantation house is expensive and said to be not worth the money. The best reviews seem to be coming in for Faro's which is a short trip away- Maria Bonita is always colorful (make reservations). Best bet for economy is to go with the Entertainment Plus 2X1 card.

Last edited:

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony

tonyg said:

Thanks for the comments. I am not necessarily looking for McDonalds dining. ;) But since I seem to be going alone, I have no interest in going to a fine dining place.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bus

For inexpensive, we really like Pizza Rolandi. The pizza is very good, they also have pasta, but we didn't try any when we were there. Unfortunately, it is not near the Sands, but just hop on the bus, you'll be there in a flash.
[/QUOTE]

I definitely like pizza! But the whole bus thing is kind of scarey for me. Speaking from someone who has NEVER used a bus, how difficult is it to figure out? How the heck do you know where you are going, or which bus to get on? And to find another one to return? :confused:

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walking

geoffb said:
If you walk out of the Sands and cross the road (look both ways) and turn left there is a place called La Placita on the lagoon side that was quite reasonable.

I have absolutely NO concept of the set up in Cancun or in the area of the Sands. Somehow I just had this idea in my head of places to stay along a beach and nothing else but beach. :rolleyes:

So you can cross a street and there are shops or places to eat there? Sorry to be so ignorant of the whole Cancun thing, but I am going to learn. :eek:

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
cindi said:
So you can cross a street and there are shops or places to eat there? Sorry to be so ignorant of the whole Cancun thing, but I am going to learn. :eek:

Think more like Miami and less like the Outer Banks and you will get the picture

cymomtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
La Palapa on the lagoon near Pok de Pok (?) is a wonderful restaurant and not too expensive. It is run by a Belgium man and has a wonderful menu, with continental dishes.

Reaction score
Cancun activities

I probably would've ate cheaper if I wasn't on my own :D

In case anyone is wondering, the two courses in Cancun both sucked. At $175, the Hilton club is a total rip-off. Pok-ta-pok was slightly less expensive, at $75 for greens fee but a $20 caddie is required and you gotta tip, so about $105 per round. The twilight fee (starting at 2 p.m.) of $50 + caddie at the Pok-ta-pok is probably the best deal. Both courses are in terrible condition.

Since I'm primarily a golfer as opposed to a beach goer, I will not likely go back to Cancun. Is a separate trip to Cozumel worth doing in the future as I've already been to Xcaret and Chichen Itza?

Harvey and Lin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are primarily a golfer go to Cabo. The courses in Cancun are an absolute joke compared to Cabo but be prepared to pay around 200 - 250 dollars per round in high season. There are a couple of Cancun level courses but mostly the Cabo courses are truly championship level. Harvey

Last edited:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Eric that big crock could have given you quite a handicap though ! My stepson played down in Cancun at least once but never commented on anything but the crock. To me Cancun seems a bit warm for sports, though I did spend some time on the tennis courts on a couple of trips.

Suzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
VIPS Restaurant?

Is there a VIPS restaurant near the Sands? I've heard that it is a chain and there are 3 in Cancun. Does it have good prices?

TIA,
Suzy

Reaction score
What big crock? I'm not sure what your stepson is referring to. You mean the crocodile at the Hilton club? I didn't see it although I hit several shots into the water (windy day) so I had opportunities to inspect various ponds.