• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancun: Hilton Cancun or Westin Lagunamar?

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Our Easter week check-in at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya does not start until Sunday, so we will fly in on Saturday, and stay in a hotel in Cancun on Saturday night (hubby, me & 14-year old daughter) before checking into our 2 bedroom unit at GM.

I've been reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, and checking the rates on Expedia and these look like our 2 best options: Cancun Hilton (hotel room with 2 queens, oceanview, $210/night) or the newly renovated Westin Lagunamar (studio lock-off, 1 king + 1 sofabed, mini kitchen, balcony, ocean view, $245/night).

On one hand, the Lagunamar sounds good because it has a mini-kitchen, a very cool pool slide, and is just across the street from La Isla shopping center. But the downsides are: being in the lock-off bedroom (someone else will have the living room & 1-bedroom portion of the unit) you can get a lot of noise from them. 2nd concern: can this be right, expedia says that all the rooms are "smoking" ?? Does that mean the room will reek of stale cigarette smoke?? Hummm Also, not sure we really HAVE to have cooking facilities since it is only 1 night.

Now, for the Hilton. I'm not usually big on hotel rooms, but everyone gives this place great reviews for their pools and beach area. Since most of the rooms have 2 queen beds, and don't charge extra for kids under 17, I can tell this will be a place packed with kids during Easter week, so our kiddo should have no trouble making friends and having fun. People also mention that it is not a hotel for the wild college spring break scene, which we also want to steer clear of. (I originally wanted to spend our extra day in Tulum, but my teenager wants desperately to spend the extra night in Cancun.)

There were several other hotels in this price range, but the tripadvisor reviews were not as good: Hyatt Cancun, Grand Melia, ME by Melia, Westin Resort & Spa, Krystal, Fiesta Americana Condessa, Omni, and Presidente InterContinental. If I were willing to spend closer to $300, we could get the Marriott CasaMagna or the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach, but since it's just one night, I think I'd rather put those extra bucks towards activities.

So, if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd be interested to hear them. We did an RCI exchange to the Grand Mayan for Easter week in 2008 and we really had a great time and added on some extra days in Cozumel. (I'd have to agree with my teen that nightlife on Cozumel leaves a lot to be desired, but the snorkelling was great!) This year we are exchanging in through SFX, a great tip I know thanks to our fellow Tugger John Cummings. Thanks John, wherever you are! Also, a quick shout-out and thanks to Tugger "mfan" who wrote an outstanding TUG review of the Westin Lagunamar.

----- Rene McDaniel

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What time does your plane arrive on Saturday? Coming from California, you've had long flights, and you may be too tired to take advantage of the kitchen, slide, shopping, making friends and having fun.....

Seems to me this is just an overnight while you wait to check in to your resort, so I wouldn't worry too much about which one to choose.

When we have had extra nights we've stayed at the Omni for around $165(?) through Travelocity, which included an excellent brunch for all four of us. It was nice, comfy, and had good pools. After sleeping in and having brunch we were rested and ready to check in to our own timeshare.

I'm not pushing the Omni in particular, just suggesting you might save some money on the room and also on your next day's brunch!

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Seems to me this is just an overnight while you wait to check in to your resort, so I wouldn't worry too much about which one to choose.

I agree. It is just a place to store your bags and sleep for the night. I am sure the Mayan will let you drop off your bags in the morning and then you are free to use the facilities or go into to town or elsewhere until the room is ready. If they don't, I would guess the hotel would let you leave them there while you are exploring until the Grand Mayan is available.

Cheers

BradC

Reaction score
2nd concern: can this be right, expedia says that all the rooms are "smoking" ?? Does that mean the room will reek of stale cigarette smoke??
According to the info from Westin's website:
Breathe Easy
All villas at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort are smoke-free. A cleaning fee may be assessed if there is evidence of interior smoking in the villas. Smoking is permitted in outdoor areas, including the balcony of your villa.