• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancun-- All-inclusive... book with timeshare or other travel sites? OR... should we even do All-inclusive?

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fees are confusing when looking at the timeshares on RCI or II. Is it worth it to book using my timeshare, or would I do better through a website like hotwire or expedia?

We've never been to Cancun. We are not big eaters or drinkers... I mean, we eat and we drink, but not a lot. However, the all-inclusive sounds easy.
Or should we get a condo and walk to restaurants? And, then there's Covid... how is that affecting the quality of an all-inclusive?
Sorry to ask SO many questions. We've never been to Cancun, and never done the all-inclusive.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you are a Costco Member look at their travel site. Can usually get a pretty good deal which includes airfare; transportation from airport and return to airport; and, all AI Fees.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don’t do MX AI resorts very often, but we do enjoy them, even though we most likely don’t get our money’s worth. We are not big eaters or drinkers, but we like the variety of food and drink offered. It’s nice not having to think the cost of everything while there.

The general advice here on TUG is usually to NOT use your week, since you normally get little value for your week. You can use commercial sites to book most resorts, including Costco and the others you mentioned. It pays to do your research to get the best price.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can rent a timeshare at the Royal Sands, Royal Islander, or Royal Cancun from an owner and not have to go AI. It is optional for owners at the Royals and therefore it is optional for their guests. We are owners at the Royal Sands and we have never done AI!!

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
We go all-inclusive, just easier...we have gone to Mexico for 20+ years and have seen the sites, though I am sure there is always something more. It is the weather and friendly people that makes my holiday terrific. I can get bottle water anytime, drinks anytime, food anytime, and great coffee any time (and Baileys in the morning for my coffee if I wish - this is true holiday and I do not get it at home!), Also, at Palace Resorts there is the resort credit which we use up and then some for the Spa treatments! I think each person has to decide WHAT they want from their holidays, then pull the trigger. Most sites are compatible in pricing, as the resort itself has to be guaranteed X amount of money per person to stay in business. We compared prices for Florida, for the holiday we like to have - and we came out better with a Mexican get away! We love it there!

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on if you think you may explore off the resort too.
You can rent a timeshare at the Royal Sands, Royal Islander, or Royal Cancun from an owner and not have to go AI. It is optional for owners at the Royals and therefore it is optional for their guests. We are owners at the Royal Sands and we have never done AI!!
Got a couple getaway weeks for this past spring break at Royal Cancun. Loved the resort! Their AI seemed really reasonable compared to other resorts too. We didn’t do AI for our week as we knew we would be off the resort doing a couple excursions. Even so- the days we spent fully on the resort we came close only one day to what we would have paid if AI. So for us AI not cost effective, kinda like Disney’s dining plans lol- nice to have everything included, but not always the most cost effective choice.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fees are confusing when looking at the timeshares on RCI or II. Is it worth it to book using my timeshare, or would I do better through a website like hotwire or expedia?

We've never been to Cancun. We are not big eaters or drinkers... I mean, we eat and we drink, but not a lot. However, the all-inclusive sounds easy.
Or should we get a condo and walk to restaurants? And, then there's Covid... how is that affecting the quality of an all-inclusive?
Sorry to ask SO many questions. We've never been to Cancun, and never done the all-inclusive.
I wouldn't trade condo through II or RCI as the AI fees are pretty steep. Better to rent from an owner. main options for that are one of the Royals or Westin Lagunamar. You can make your own meals or try one of the many easy accessible restaurants. The nice thing about the Royal Sands is that you can get the owner's AI price, which is a very reasonable $69 /day and you can take it for only 4 days if you like.