• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canceling an Interval exchange into Nanea question?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This year has been crazy for all of us. I've never cancelled an Interval exchange before, so have some questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I had three weeks in Maui scheduled for this November, but that's not going to happen. I already cancelled my home resort reservation and banked those StarOptions. I have two more weeks reserved in Nanea through Interval, using an SDO unit that I split in two. I know I can cancel them before 60 days and get my original weeks back to use for a trade for another year, BUT, do I start from scratch again? I believe I'll have to pay another exchange fee, but have I lost the upgrade fee as well? I paid to upgrade from a 1BR at SDO to a 2BR at Nanea. If I find another 2BR to trade into in the future, will I have to pay another upgrade fee?

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you can find a retrade before the 60 day mark you don't have to pay the upgrade fee again. If you do a full cancel (before 59 days out) you have one year from the day you cancel to use the replacement week. The replacement week is the same as your original week so you would have to pay the upgrade fees again. I haven't gotten and used a replacement week in about 3 years but the last time I did, I also lost the discounted exchange fee for the replacement week for exchanging back into Vistana. You can do an ongoing search with the replacement week.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. So, if I find another 2BR I want before 60 days out, I can do a straight trade? I suppose I pay another transfer fee, correct? Otherwise, if I cancel all together, I start at square one?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thank you for the info. So, if I find another 2BR I want before 60 days out, I can do a straight trade? I suppose I pay another transfer fee, correct? Otherwise, if I cancel all together, I start at square one?
yes new exchange fee with retrade (unless you had eplus) and square one with a replacement week.

BA21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Key West, WKV
HGVC Flamingo
I had a similar experience with an exchange to Nanea for this August. I was able to find a retrade but had to pay an additional exchange fee ($159 for an exchange to Marriott Desert Springs in January). You can add E Plus to the new exchange if you wish, even if you didn't add E Plus to the first exchange. I assummed I would never want to retade the Nanea gem I found. Who knew 2020 was going to be such a challenge.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I assummed I would never want to retade the Nanea gem I found. Who knew 2020 was going to be such a challenge.

Yeah, NOTHING was going to stop us from spending 3+ weeks in Maui this November! :ROFLMAO::cry:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yup, I had a 2-bed Nanea in May I canceled. Out the exchange and upgrade fees, and left with a placeholder week that’s not as good. But no complaints...had no choice, so it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk