• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canceled westgate timeshare

Nicolej

Reaction score
I cancelled my westgate timeshare in the time that the Florida law has, but I received a call that I have to pay the closing cost... Almost 2,000. What do I do?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I cancelled my westgate timeshare in the time that the Florida law has, but I received a call that I have to pay the closing cost... Almost 2,000. What do I do?
Tell them that they are wrong and you are under no obligation for anything. Demand a full refund that you are entitled to under the law. Contact the Florida Attorney Generals office if they withhold closing costs from your deposit.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I wrote in the other forum you posted in:

Hi Nicole,

Are you saying they are charging you $2000 in closing fees on a timeshare you rescinded? That's crazy! Did you follow the rescission instructions to the letter? Did you send your rescission notice to Westgate, certified mail-return receipt requested? If so they cannot charge you anything, including your down payment and closing costs

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rescinded-westgate-timeshare-need-help.258023

vegasVIP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Vegas HHonors Diamond
Watch this movie about the owner/founder of Westgate: The Queen of Versailles

You will then see how shady they are.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score

You will then see how shady they are.
Thanks. Will you please post a link to the video?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to screen it on Netflix or Amazon Prime or wherever you stream movies. It's been around for a number of years showing how WG owners were building the world's biggest house and screwing people to do it and how totally out of touch the Mrs. is. (my fav- going to a car rental desk and asking the name of 'her driver').

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
its a lengthy documentary, vs a short youtube video.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This sounds like the sales person trying to save his commission - who called you?

vegasVIP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Vegas HHonors Diamond
Video? Let me watch it

We found it on Netflix I believe. It is an eye opener and takes place before and after the economy crash in 2007. If you are a time share owner or remotely looking into WestGate, its a great watch. Enjoy.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

That call was completely bogus. Rescission, by its' very definition, means that there will be no closing. Moreover, state law very clearly requires that 100% of any deposit paid must be refunded in a rescission, although that last step could potentially (and lawfully) take up to 45 days in a worst case scenario.

If it was a disappointed sales weasel that made the bogus (and fraudulent) phone call, that's certainly quite brazen in and of itself, since the rescission correspondence and processing thereof occurs at the corporate offices, not at the resort (where the contract was executed and where that sales weasel works).

Last edited:

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
I will echo what others have said. They have to give you a complete refund. They bother you again tell them your next call is to the Florida Attorney General.

RocketBoat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We been Westgate owner for 22 years and have upgrade 3 time. At the moment we own a 3 Bedroom lock out in the 6000 Building at
Westgate Town Center Kissimmee Florida. Thing have change a lot in the last ten years at Westgate. It now run more like a Business with
the intend to bring in as much money possible while gorging there owners on exchange Resort location and any way they can get extra
money out of you while cutting on services they use to provide. So this year we decided to give them there resort back. There did call telling
us that we could not do that, but we simply told them that we were no longer interested in there services and we would just no longer pay the user fee ask for because we would no longer use it. We are retired Canadian Citizen, What can they do if we decide not to pay there user fee?
Hurt your credit rating they say, Well first I do not care about a US Credit Rating, and second it will not hurt my Canadian rating and third
even if it did, at my age I no longer need credit rating.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We been Westgate owner for 22 years and have upgrade 3 time. At the moment we own a 3 Bedroom lock out in the 6000 Building at
Westgate Town Center Kissimmee Florida. Thing have change a lot in the last ten years at Westgate. It now run more like a Business with
the intend to bring in as much money possible while gorging there owners on exchange Resort location and any way they can get extra
money out of you while cutting on services they use to provide. So this year we decided to give them there resort back. There did call telling
us that we could not do that, but we simply told them that we were no longer interested in there services and we would just no longer pay the user fee ask for because we would no longer use it. We are retired Canadian Citizen, What can they do if we decide not to pay there user fee?
Hurt your credit rating they say, Well first I do not care about a US Credit Rating, and second it will not hurt my Canadian rating and third
even if it did, at my age I no longer need credit rating.

Re : even if it did ...

FYI - Retirement / Nursing homes may check your credit rating

Try giving it away on TUG -" bargain deals" ( ie.- free) subforum under Buying Selling Renting .

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try giving it away on TUG -" bargain deals" ( ie.- free) subforum under Buying Selling Renting .

Even giving away a Westgate ownership for free is much more easily said than done. Since the Wastegate reservation policies on resales are so restrictive and onerous, many (most?) people would not entertain accepting a Westgae ownership even if it came with a thick wad of Benjamins; I am certainly in that group.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Didn't David Siegel say one time that he would take back a timeshare from anyone who was unhappy with it? Or was that Stephen Cloobeck of DRI?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Even giving away a Westgate ownership for free is much more easily said than done. Since the Wastegate reservation policies on resales are so restrictive and onerous, many (most?) people would not entertain taking over a Westgae ownership if it came with accompanying cash; I am certainly within that group.

I am aware of the reservation restrictions on Westgate resales from reading TUG . I assume this affects all float weeks .

Question - If - RocketBoat owns a fixed week and it is transferred to a new owner - what is the impact if the new owner uses the specific week owned at the specific property listed on the deed .

I believe Westgate $ up-charges resale owners to use other Westgate properties