• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

cancel reservation on website

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
why is it you think that it is not possible to cancel reservations on the website?
Even airlines allow cancellations on their websites?
Thanks.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I had a conservation with a MVC rep one time and asked (rather, was complaining about not being able to do it online and that is why I was calling...) and rep said they don't want people to mistakenly cancel their reservations, as there is no way to undo it.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks...but that sounds like an excuse for whatever reason.
It could ask again and confirm that it is being cancelled, and hold the inventory for an hour or so before releasing it in case
of extreme mistakes.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I didn't say I agreed with the logic...just relaying what the rep told me. :)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In this time with Covid-19, I would only cancel with a live MVC representative just for my personal satisfaction. IMHO.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
In this time with Covid-19, I would only cancel with a live MVC representative just for my personal satisfaction. IMHO.
Please explain. Are you saying that Covid-19 would make you more likely to make a cancellation mistake if you were allowed to cancel online yourself?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I had a conservation with a MVC rep one time and asked (rather, was complaining about not being able to do it online and that is why I was calling...) and rep said they don't want people to mistakenly cancel their reservations, as there is no way to undo it.

I was told the same thing when I asked the rep why I had to call to cancel. As far as canceling an airline reservation online, I'm guessing it's easier to re-book if you cancel by accident, whereas a week could be snapped up by someone else and lost forever. :shrug:

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana allows you to cancel and re-book on-line. The Staroptions are returned instantaneously to your account so you can immediately re-book. I have done this twice where I changed my dates during my home resort period for Harborside. Hopefully with the merger, this will stay as a benefit as I find it extremely helpful.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't say I agreed with the logic...just relaying what the rep told me. :)
sorry, I was just expressing my thoughts, not commenting on the validity of your response, which I do not doubt at all.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I can cancel on thw website for my Diamond timeshare. It’s nice and convenient and my points go right back into my account. However, if I have had an instant in which I cancelled in error and found out a few hours later I made an error and there was no availability. If you have multiple reservations, one must be extremely careful. I really don’t mind cancelling via phone or through the chat on line. It does reduce chance of error.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rep gave me the same answer, but also said that this topic comes up a lot and should be an enhancement to the system sooner rather than later.

One thing that I usually do when cancelling is to reallocate the points in an optimal manner so as not to end up with expiring points, etc. The reps are the only ones who can do that.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If they were to make it an option to cancel online, they would likely only add it for points reservations anyway. They allow 13 month bookings using points, but not weeks. I wouldn't see them enhancing the weeks reservation system at all.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If they were to make it an option to cancel online, they would likely only add it for points reservations anyway. They allow 13 month bookings using points, but not weeks. I wouldn't see them enhancing the weeks reservation system at all.
You are probably right, even though it should be relatively easy to enable both 13 month bookings and cancellations online for weeks.
They still have and will probably always have a very large weeks owner customer base who they should deal with reasonably and equitably.