• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadians: are you going to Mexico after July 21st?

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey tuggers.
As you may know, if nothing changes, Canadians could start travelling abroad after July 21st.

Air Canada and Air transat are selling flights to Cancún already.

I’m about to pull the trigger. I think it should be safe to stay in a resort where occupancy will be at 30%

I think the biggest risk is that Canada Closed the borders again if the government realize that it was not a good idea to allow travelling outside and I could be stucked at Mexico. But I honestly don’t think that I would have troubles to return to Canada.

What are your thoughts about this?

KiKiDee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Palm Beach Shores
Hey tuggers.
As you may know, if nothing changes, Canadians could start travelling abroad after July 21st.

Air Canada and Air transat are selling flights to Cancún already.

I’m about to pull the trigger. I think it should be safe to stay in a resort where occupancy will be at 30%

I think the biggest risk is that Canada Closed the borders again if the government realize that it was not a good idea to allow travelling outside and I could be stucked at Mexico. But I honestly don’t think that I would have troubles to return to Canada.

What are your thoughts about this?

My husband works closely with the Canadian Border Security Agency and they do not think the border will be open in July. This is not inside information - just what the scuttle on the Hill is. Do remember that you will need to self quarantine for 14 days when you return to Canada and you are OK with a travel credit from AT or AC(not a refund as the Canadian Transportation Agency is not requiring refunds of our Canadian airlines). Lastly check your travel medical insurance, the majority are not allowing claims at this point.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And just what is it that gives you confidence that (a) places and activities you want to participate in will be open and safe- as Mexico is barely testing and has even poorer response to the pandemic than USA? And (b) thinking that you will be able to return to Canada (to quarantine 14 more days) seems more wishful than based on medical advice.

Good Luck- either way.

Jim

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are travelling just in Canada for the next few months anyways. Great scenery and awesome temperatures make this enjoyable. May have to cancel a 5 day trip to Nova Scotia to visit a friend if it requires us to quarantine. I do have both Mexico (isla Mujueres) and Arizona (Scottsdale) booked late October early November but I am expecting to cancel them. The reason I would like to go is my travel insurance that I bought last year will cover covid-19 until the middle of November and I assume any new insurance that will cover it will be impossible to get. Still I will err on the side of caution until this situation calms down.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Some friends are now in FAVC Cancun Villas, they say that the resort is empty, so you have the pool and beach only for you. Resorts are taking many sanitary measures. I hope to arrive in one week, so it is desicion of evryone.

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah. In the other hand I’m not interested in activities outside the hotel. I just want to enjoy the beach and the pools.
But is nice to hear everyone’s opinions to think about other potential risks.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Impossible to get Canadian passports since March. Passport offices closed, no passport processing, not even by mail, and no planned reopening date.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
If you do get to Mexico and Canada closed it borders again you would not be stuck in Mexico if you are Canadian. Right from the start of the pandemic both Canada and the USA said they would never stop their own citizens from returning home. You should register with the Canadian Gov't Travelers Abroad program in case things go sour then the Gov't can contact you about getting on a repatriation flight. The method of getting back to Canada would be your biggest problem if things took a serious turn for the worse. The other possible problem for your trip is getting travel insurance, as many companies will not insure anybody going to countries where the virus is rampant.

~Diane

magjrl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do get to Mexico and Canada closed it borders again you would not be stuck in Mexico if you are Canadian. Right from the start of the pandemic both Canada and the USA said they would never stop their own citizens from returning home. You should register with the Canadian Gov't Travelers Abroad program in case things go sour then the Gov't can contact you about getting on a repatriation flight. The method of getting back to Canada would be your biggest problem if things took a serious turn for the worse. The other possible problem for your trip is getting travel insurance, as many companies will not insure anybody going to countries where the virus is rampant.

~Diane
Firstly, not a great idea to go to Mexico now as their virus numbers are very high. Then going anywhere out of Canada means quarantine at home for 14 days. I can’t believe they won’t even allow you to stop at Safeway and even pick up milk and bread on the way home. But I guess ....

magjrl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Impossible to get Canadian passports since March. Passport offices closed, no passport processing, not even by mail, and no planned reopening date.
Never occurred to me about our passports, luckily we had bought 10 year ones so we are good to 23 and 25. Yes a problem for sure if you needed one now.

magjrl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You sure own at a lot of resorts. Are you picking these up for a dollar and they must have a lot of points and low MF. If you don’t mind me asking.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Covid is local, reporting is regional and national. A case close to the border with US or in Mexico city does not make your stay riskier in Cancun for example. Even in Cancun, if you stay with a hotel that respects all the hygiene protocols, you are safer than in a hotel in the city. I follow comments for Westin Lagunamar on FB and Tripadvisor and people report feeling safe at the airport, resort and at the restaurants in the area, all have a lot of protocols in place. The occupancy is nowhere near 30% from what I read. They seem to have a great experience. At Lagunamar it also helps that the pools are huge, they are not crowded even when the occupancy is 100%.

Somebody posted this picture
1594581063315.png

Last edited:

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I will definitely not be travelling to Mexico, and then when I return to Canada have to be quarantined for 14 days!!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Firstly, not a great idea to go to Mexico now as their virus numbers are very high. Then going anywhere out of Canada means quarantine at home for 14 days. I can’t believe they won’t even allow you to stop at Safeway and even pick up milk and bread on the way home. But I guess ....
)
We have no intentions of going anywhere until this virus is well under control. We got out of our winter stay in Belize the day Belize closed it borders (to all incoming) and flew home via Mexico March 22nd. We were told repeatedly in the Toronto airport upon our arrival that we were to go directly home and not use public transit or make any stops along the way unless a true emergency. There were also signs saying the same thing posted all over the airport. They were not testing incoming passengers and just asking about symptoms, so yes they don't want anybody stopping for groceries or anything else in case they are positive. The woman ahead of us at customs told the officer she was going to take the VIA Train to Montreal to get home as her Montreal flight had been cancelled and a Toronto flight was her only way out. The customs agent told her no way she should be taking the VIA train after spending the winter in Mexico, she needed to get a family member or friend to drive her, or rent a car and drive her self. Our kids had left our van at the airport so we could drive ourselves home and our DD had fully stocked our pantry and fridge the day before our arrival. We didn't leave our house for 15 days when we got home and didn't go to a store for a further month.

~Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Hey tuggers.

Just to be clear, the Canadian border closure only impacts non-Canadians who want to enter Canada. It does not prevent Canadians from leaving the country. The Mexican government controls the Mexican border, just like the US gov't controls who can enter the US (which BTW you can fly into but not drive).

You will have to figure out whether you want the indignity of having to be quarantined for 14 days on return, possibility of airlines cancelling flights and getting a sunburn, but those are individual choices you will have to make.

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score

~Diane

What about travel insurance included with the credit cards? I know that won’t cover Covid-19 related treatments but it will cover the rest.

The biggest issue could be 14 days quarantine for some people but there are some others that could work from home.

KiKiDee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Palm Beach Shores
What about travel insurance included with the credit cards? I know that won’t cover Covid-19 related treatments but it will cover the rest.

The biggest issue could be 14 days quarantine for some people but there are some others that could work from home.

Please check all your travel insurance this is direct from the Canadian Government website:

COVID-19 and travel insurance
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we advise Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside Canada. If you are already outside Canada, or must travel despite our advisory, read Travel and COVID-19: Your safety and security outside Canada.

Travel insurance providers no longer cover travel booked on or after March 13, 2020, when the official global travel advisory came into effect. If you are already outside Canada, including the United States, you may have to remain there for some time. Talk to your travel insurance provider about extending your insurance policy. Find out if you are covered for medical treatment if you become infected with COVID-19 and for extended stays outside Canada.

It is your responsibility to know and understand the terms of your insurance policy. Read the fine print carefully and ask for help if you need it.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Some friends are now in FAVC Cancun Villas, they say that the resort is empty, so you have the pool and beach only for you. Resorts are taking many sanitary measures. I hope to arrive in one week, so it is desicion of evryone.

Hi Simon63,
Please enjoy your vacation. Please tell us how it went when you return home

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please check all your travel insurance this is direct from the Canadian Government website:

COVID-19 and travel insurance
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we advise Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside Canada. If you are already outside Canada, or must travel despite our advisory, read Travel and COVID-19: Your safety and security outside Canada.

Travel insurance providers no longer cover travel booked on or after March 13, 2020, when the official global travel advisory came into effect. If you are already outside Canada, including the United States, you may have to remain there for some time. Talk to your travel insurance provider about extending your insurance policy. Find out if you are covered for medical treatment if you become infected with COVID-19 and for extended stays outside Canada.

It is your responsibility to know and understand the terms of your insurance policy. Read the fine print carefully and ask for help if you need it.

Yep. The travel insurance won’t have coverage if the current “Avoid non-essential travel” advise is still recommended by the government.

I would say that is not a good idea to leave Canada until we have travel insurance coverage.

Let’s see what happened after the 21st of July. US border will still closed, still waiting the update for Europe and Caribbean destinations.

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canada US border closure has been extended to August 21. Border closure seems to be extended 30 days at a time. I have a confirmation at Westin Lagunamar for 2nd week of November confirmed before COVID-19 became the issue it is now. Fortunately I took the E-Plus retrade option. Wondering if 14 day self quarantine upon return to Canada will still be required by then or if I should just go for the retrade for Feb. 2021 to Apr 2021 right now and cross my fingers I can still get Lagunamar in high season. Any opinions anybody??

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in PVR in March when the shutdown occurred. We left for home one week earlier than scheduled, and as it turned out the day before WestJet canceled all their flights. Had we stayed as planned we would have been scrambling for a flight home. We had to self isolate for two weeks on return.

It was a nerve racking experience in the last few days. We think that we still have a week credit at the resort because we checked out early.

Because of the angst, we do not want to go through that again. Our expectation is that the situation will not improve until some time in 2021. We are not planning any travel for 2021, thinking being home is better than repeating what we went through. The trip was a net negative.

But if we are wrong, that is a win and we will be celebrating, not disappointed. We expect the quarantine requirements to continue into 2021, the virus to ebb and flow until a virus is discovered and distributed, and travel to be hampered. Home looks good.

I really hope I am wrong.