• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian travel to the US or other countries C-19 What’s up?

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
What a great bunch of neighbours, friends and family you have, Diane!! Kudos also to the InterJet agent who went out of his way to find a solution for your flight to Mexico City. :thumbup::thumbup::clap:

Welcome home and try to enjoy your two weeks of mandatory quarantine. Glad you made it back safe and sound. :) :wave:

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
We have reservatioins for June 13 in Vancouver. I am bummed...we were so looking forward to it, but even in June I don't think I want to fly if I don't have to. Now sure what will happen to the week now. Use it or lose it? Dang.

Any suggestions?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
What a great bunch of neighbours, friends and family you have, Diane!! Kudos also to the InterJet agent who went out of his way to find a solution for your flight to Mexico City. :thumbup::thumbup::clap:

Welcome home and try to enjoy your two weeks of mandatory quarantine. Glad you made it back safe and sound. :) :wave:

Thanks, yes we truly have some awesome family, friends and neighbours. We have had so many offers of picking up what ever groceries we need, even from people who would need to drive many miles out of their way to deliver them to us. Even my 89 yr old dad offered to pickup whatever we needed and make the 20 min drive from Barrie up to our place. I think he was just looking for an excuse to see us earlier or to get out of the house! I made him promise he wouldn't make any more trips to any stores or drive-though's until this virus is over. Our friend/neighbour that looked after our house all winter also went and got our car out of its storage facility in Midland (20mins north of us) yesterday as he was going up near there to check on his brother.
We are glad to be back but I did catch DH looking at airfares today to return to Belize around New Years!:eek:

~Diane

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have reservatioins for June 13 in Vancouver. I am bummed...we were so looking forward to it, but even in June I don't think I want to fly if I don't have to. Now sure what will happen to the week now. Use it or lose it? Dang.

Any suggestions?

The following quote is from a news report on the BC Health Minister from two days ago;

"Health Minister Adrian Dix said the chance of public health orders being lifted before the end of May or early weeks of June was “little to none.”

June 13 is cutting it close."

I just cut a vacation in Mexico short by one week, getting back on March 21. With hindsight I think I should have stayed home. We are OK, but were anxious on our second week. We also came back to quarantine for fourteen days.

Edit: corrected date

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
The following quote is from a news report on the BC Health Minister from two days ago;

"Health Minister Adrian Dix said the chance of public health orders being lifted before the end of May or early weeks of June was “little to none.”

June 13 is cutting it close."

I just cut a vacation in Mexico short by one week, getting back on May 21. With hindsight I think I should have stayed home. We are OK, but were anxious on our second week. We also came back to quarantine for fourteen days.

I assume you meant March 21, not May 21?

I agree with you. Toronto has now cancelled all public events through to the end of June and warned that it may well later be extended further into the summer. We got back home February 4th after 3 weeks in St. Martin and the warnings were being ramped up even then. We were supposed to leave for three weeks in Florida on March 1st, but reluctantly pulled the plug. In hindsight it was definitely the right decision. Stay safe as you finish the last couple of days of your mandatory quarantine!

We had planned to head out to Vancouver and Victoria in August to visit with relatives, but we have now taken that off the table. Our next vacation that is actually booked is not until December 1st. We don't have to make the decision to cancel until November 1st. I am hopeful and optimistic that we will be able to go, but will not be surprised if we can't. If so, we will not hesitate to pull the plug. As seniors, we will be very nervous about travelling until there is an actual vaccine available or this pandemic has truly settled down. Then there is the issue of a potential "second wave". :shrug:

We may end up pulling the plug on Florida in any case. We are considering boycotting the state for a while to protest the lackadaisical and inconsistent approach to this pandemic by [this state's officials].

[Poltical remarks redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Women's Rogers Cup tennis in Montreal scheduled for August is toast. The Quebec government apparently doesn't want international travel to events until September at the earliest.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We cut our Florida winter trip short by two weeks, when our insurance company sent e-mails stating they would not cover out of country claims after March 23rd. We got back home in the 21st, and then did our two-week quarantine.

We had been so looking forward to a three week trip to Vietnam in mid-June, but have had to cancel that. We were going to take our 11 year old granddaughter to visit our son, daughter-in-law, and two grandchildren (7 and 3). The plan was to stay with them in Ho Chi Minh for a few days, then all of us would travel to Thailand for 10 days. Broke our hearts to have to cancel. We had booked two of the airline tickets on Eva Air, using Aeroplan points, and were able to get all our points and taxes back.

The third ticket was purchased by credit card direct with Eva Air. To date, flights to Vietnam, through Taiwan, have been cancelled through April 30. I am waiting to see if they cancel further out before I pull the plug, in hopes that I don’t lose a big portion of the cost.

Dori

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Only essential workers i.e.nurses, doctors and truckers can cross weither way. Border Closed until May 20

I think the closure will last beyond May 20th except for essential travel. All I can tell you is my source would know. They review it monthly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
The flu does not recognize any boundaries. Not that I think it's not of any value in preventing any increase in transmissions. The Canada USA boarder is quite different than the Mexico USA boarder. I am one of those who thinks and uses reasonable precautions so I hope the boarders open sooner rather than later. Really think this is in the hands of the USA not so much Canada.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
The flu does not recognize any boundaries. Not that I think it's not of any value in preventing any increase in transmissions. The Canada USA boarder is quite different than the Mexico USA boarder. I am one of those who thinks and uses reasonable precautions so I hope the boarders open sooner rather than later. Really think this is in the hands of the USA not so much Canada.
I will have to disagree with opening the Canada/USA border to casual travel.
AJC you may be careful, and my husband and I are careful. Only one person has done our grocery shopping, we have not gone outside of our immediate area and only walk outside in our area.
But, and it is a big but, no one can be sure of what the majority of other people do. The larger consideration would be what care will businesses be doing, on either side of the border, to safeguard their employees and their customers.
Right now there is no quick, accurate, test that could be done at the border to verify if anyone has the virus.
Until our country and yours see a significant drop in positive cases, I would not like to see our borders open to casual travel.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Any guesses as to whether the ban will be extended again?

Westjet just cancelled more international and trans order flights up until June 25 (which apparently included our flights to OGG on June 26). I think they are probably talking to the Government and taking a cue from them.

Deputy Prime Minister is also thinking out loud in the papers about how non-essential travel is not restarting soon.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Any guesses as to whether the ban will be extended again?
West jet just cancelled more international ... I think they are probably talking to the Government and taking a cue from them.
Deputy Prime Minister is also thinking out loud .....

I think it will be extended .

Also - here are some practical problems for those who would cross .
1 ) presumptive 14 day quarantine upon reentry to Canada
2) coverage exclusion issues from travel medical insurance - if you are hospitalized in USA with Covid 19.

So if you could go for the day to Niagara Falls NY - quarantine for 14 days .
If you could go to Florida for a month and end up hospitalized due to Covid - no insurance coverage .

Who is left that wants to cross over the border ?

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I was just reading about some people who live in Canmore Alberta (very near Banff) who got talking to an American couple dining at the table next to them at a restaurant patio. The conversation got around to how the couple from Texas were able to get into Canada at this time. The couple said they had planned this vacation in the Rockies for a long time and didn't want "some stupid virus" get in their way. When they got to the US/Canada border they told officials they were driving to Alaska to check on elderly relatives. They were told to drive straight there with minimal and essential stopping only. Of course they had no intention of going to Alaska and were not quarantining themselves after their arrival last week. :doh: Thanks guys, this is how the virus will continue to spread!:mad:

~Diane

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I was just reading about some people who live in Canmore Alberta (very near Banff) who got talking to an American couple dining at the table next to them at a restaurant patio. The conversation got around to how the couple from Texas were able to get into Canada at this time. The couple said they had planned this vacation in the Rockies for a long time and didn't want "some stupid virus" get in their way. When they got to the US/Canada border they told officials they were driving to Alaska to check on elderly relatives. They were told to drive straight there with minimal and essential stopping only. Of course they had no intention of going to Alaska and were not quarantining themselves after their arrival last week. :doh: Thanks guys, this is how the virus will continue to spread!:mad:

~Diane
I hate to say it, but I believe it. We border Texas and the influx of Texas license plates we've seen recently are overwhelming. They do flock here in the nicer weather, but we (residents of New Mexico) are pretty sure they are the ones out and about without wearing masks. COVID 19 cases are growing in Texas, and now they seem to want to spread it around. Sorry for anyone from Texas who I may have offended.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have to ask. No one reported these people from Texas!!!??
I hope somebody did, I sure would have! A friend of ours said the story was reported on CTV Calgary and a waitress in a Banff restaurant reported the same type of story. I shared the information on my FB page and heard from another friend who's daughter lives in Vancouver. She said her daughter has seen lots of Washington (state) license plates around town in the last couple of weeks. We live near cottage country and have seen vehicles with PA, MI & NY plates on them in Orillia in the last week. We thought it was bad that people from Toronto (Ontario COVID hot spot) are flocking up to this area -now we have our border guards letting even more possible COVID positive people into the country. :(

~Diane

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Moonstone, that is very troubling. I would be writing anyone in government I could think of to complain. Unfortunately, I am not on FB or Twitter. That would be the place to start an awareness campaign on the government pages to make them aware of these occurrences.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I saw an update on the news in an interview with the local RCMP spokesperson. The RCMP are aware of the situation. If this Texas family is located by the RCMP they had better have a very good explanation as to how they got so far off track in Banff on "their way to Alaska" and had the gall to actually sit in a restaurant, let alone without masks.

Making a false statement to a border officer is a serious offence. Potentially a large fine, jail time and a permanent ban on entering Canada. Their licence plate will certainly stick out these days. I hope they are caught and made an example for others. (n)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Making a false statement to a border officer is a serious offence. Potentially a large fine, jail time and a permanent ban on entering Canada. Their licence plate will certainly stick out these days. I hope they are caught and made an example for others. (n)
My dd mentioned this as well.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston