• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian travel to the US or other countries C-19 What’s up?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I follow WestJet on Facebook and they posted the following message short time ago. They only fly to areas in the Caribbean a few (or less) times a week and now are stopping next Sat. We have Canadian friends here in Belize that are scheduled to fly back home on the 25th, and others on the 28th. Not now!!
I cant find this statement on WestJet's website yet.

"Today, Prime Minister Trudeau made an explicit declaration to all Canadians abroad that it is time to come home. Based on this statement and the recommendations to Canadians to control the spread of COVID-19, we will be suspending our commercial operations for all international and transborder flights on Sunday, March 22 at 11:59 p.m. MDT. https://ms.spr.ly/6187Td68W

While this is a difficult time, we now have the responsibility as a Canadian airline to bring our citizens home. For more details, and to understand how this impacts you, please visit - https://ms.spr.ly/6188Td68o"

~Diane

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Canada implements cruise restrictions

By Johanna Jainchill / Cruise / Travel Weekly / travelweekly.com / Mar 16, 2020

“Canada’s government will restrict cruise ships with more than 500 passengers from calling at its ports until at least July 1, delaying the start of the Alaska cruise season for most large ship lines....”

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Great minds think alike -we were both posting at the same time!

Diane,

I know you are scheduled to leave Belize on March 29th, per a prior post. If you are not on a confirmed Canadian airline flight, and even if you are, I would strongly recommend you try and leave ASAP. Don't leave it too long. Things are very different here now than when you left and changing rapidly. The Premier of Ontario has this morning declared a state of emergency and much of the province is now in effective shut-down. With airlines everywhere cutting back their flight schedules, you may not be able to get home if you do not leave in the next week, IMO.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Canada implements cruise restrictions

By Johanna Jainchill / Cruise / Travel Weekly / travelweekly.com / Mar 16, 2020

“Canada’s government will restrict cruise ships with more than 500 passengers from calling at its ports until at least July 1, delaying the start of the Alaska cruise season for most large ship lines....”

It is highly expected this will last far longer than July 1st, especially since BC is the province so far with the most Covid-19 related deaths. Many people in BC, including the provincial government itself, are asking visitors to "please stay away" right now. The BC government is the one that is pushing Canada to shut down the US/Canada border. That's how far this has gone now.

Most of those who are experienced cruise posters on sites like Trip Advisor are saying that they fully expect that the Alaska cruise season will not happen in 2020, especially with all the issues of having so many people so close together in a closed environment.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Diane,

I know you are scheduled to leave Belize on March 29th, per a prior post. If you are not on a confirmed Canadian airline flight, and even if you are, I would strongly recommend you try and leave ASAP. Don't leave it too long. Things are very different here now than when you left and changing rapidly. The Premier of Ontario has this morning declared a state of emergency and much of the province is now in effective shut-down. With airlines everywhere cutting back their flight schedules, you may not be able to get home if you do not leave in the next week, IMO.
Yes, we are following the news at home by the minute on the interweb and our family and friends are also keeping us up to date on the situation at home. I truly appreciate your, and everybody else's concern. Currently there are no cases in Belize, and I know that can change by the hour. All the Belize borders are shut down except for the northern land crossing (near us) and the International airport both of which are screening all incoming people. Many have been turned away and sent back. So far we feel safe here and have no plans to return any sooner than currently scheduled. We looked at earlier flights the other day but they are scarce and extremely expensive. We are scheduled to fly out of Chetumal (12 miles from here) then to Mexico City then to Toronto on InterJet Airlines. So unless the Mexicans close their borders or Canada stops all incoming international flights we think we will be ok. While we are here we are avoiding gatherings of large groups of people and just socializing with a few folks at a time on outside patios or just riding our bicycles around on our own. We do not eat in restaurants or visit bars. We are also being very vigilant with hand hygiene. There is no shortage or hording of food or supplies here either. :) I'll keep everybody posted on our fate.

~Diane

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Deciding whether or not to cross the Canada/US border for vacation or casual travel in either direction may very shortly become a moot point. Apparently the Canadian and US governments are close to an agreement to limit such travel. Only commerce, cargo and necessary transit will be allowed. Never thought I would see that in my lifetime. For anyone who thinks this is just another flu, maybe time to get real!

Last edited:

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I think they should only allow people to fly home one way.

Taking cheap flights for cheap vacations at this time is nuts. It’s being done.

$42 round trip from Boston to Florida is just wrong. The airlines are better off grounded and on unemployment.

Our system allows “Bonus time” they are hopping around for next to nothing because they can.

What a mess!

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Coronavirus: International alert as Hong Kong skiers return from Whistler and Vancouver infected with
Covid -19.

Richard

Based on the timelines involved, I'm going to suggest that it is much more likely that they picked up the Covid-19 virus in Hong Kong before they left and only became symptomatic around the time they were heading back from Canada. To have picked up the virus in Canada, given they were only here for 8 days and the known incubation period is around 14 days, they would have to have been infected almost immediately upon landing for there even to be a chance. Otherwise they have potentially carried it here and spread it around. This is why people should stop travelling!

Hong Kong has had the virus much longer. I suppose they could have gotten it while transiting through the airports in either Hong Kong or Vancouver on the inbound journey to Vancouver, or on the plane itself, but even that would result in a relatively short incubation period. I guess we will have to see if the investigation is able to identify the original source and location.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the timelines involved, I'm going to suggest that it is much more likely that they picked up the Covid-19 virus in Hong Kong before they left and only became symptomatic around the time they were heading back from Canada. To have picked up the virus in Canada, given they were only here for 8 days and the known incubation period is around 14 days, they would have to have been infected almost immediately upon landing for there even to be a chance. Otherwise they have potentially carried it here and spread it around. This is why people should stop travelling!

Hong Kong has had the virus much longer. I suppose they could have gotten it while transiting through the airports in either Hong Kong or Vancouver on the inbound journey to Vancouver, or on the plane itself, but even that would result in a relatively short incubation period. I guess we will have to see if the investigation is able to identify the original source and location.
Not necessarily. Incubation is from 2 days to 14 days. Anything is possible.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I do know the Pacific Northwest area is reeling with covid 19.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Not necessarily. Incubation is from 2 days to 14 days. Anything is possible.

It shows how much we are only now learning about this virus and how quickly things are changing. I just read today that they now think the incubation period is much shorter than previously thought, perhaps as short as 2 to 8 days. That might help explain the rapid explosion of the virus once it is in the community. It also means it is now more likely that the Hong Kong visitors picked it up in BC or en route, rather than Hong Kong, despite the higher prevalence in Hong Kong.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Anywhere with tourists is an issue. Tourists love the Pacific Northwest. Heck, I have been to BC several times myself.

I know Vancouver is a vacation hotspot for Asians. Almost all Asian flights end up in Vancouver in Canada.

I think Seattle is the same. I have friends in Seattle and they just got covid 19.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, we are following the news at home by the minute on the interweb and our family and friends are also keeping us up to date on the situation at home. I truly appreciate your, and everybody else's concern. Currently there are no cases in Belize, and I know that can change by the hour. All the Belize borders are shut down except for the northern land crossing (near us) and the International airport both of which are screening all incoming people. Many have been turned away and sent back. So far we feel safe here and have no plans to return any sooner than currently scheduled. We looked at earlier flights the other day but they are scarce and extremely expensive. We are scheduled to fly out of Chetumal (12 miles from here) then to Mexico City then to Toronto on InterJet Airlines. So unless the Mexicans close their borders or Canada stops all incoming international flights we think we will be ok. While we are here we are avoiding gatherings of large groups of people and just socializing with a few folks at a time on outside patios or just riding our bicycles around on our own. We do not eat in restaurants or visit bars. We are also being very vigilant with hand hygiene. There is no shortage or hording of food or supplies here either. :) I'll keep everybody posted on our fate.

~Diane

Well the $hit hit the fan today! I logged onto our airline's website to confirm our departure time from Chetumal airport. There is a 1hr time difference between here and there and I wanted to be sure the time I wrote down was the Chetumal time. When I looked at our 2nd leg of our flight the time was different but the flight number was the same. InterJet now had us departing Mexico City 3 hours before we were scheduled to arrive!
I literally spent the entire afternoon on hold (on Google Hangouts) with InterJet's Toronto office waiting to speak to an agent. When my call was finally answered and I asked the guy to look at the MEX arrival and departure times he chuckled and asked if I had a time machine!
He eventually found us the same itinerary but for this Sunday since the new schedule begins next Friday.
So we have 2 days to pack up our apartment and put everything into storage, and probably won't have time to say goodbye to most of our friends but our family is happy that we will be home soon!

I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't decided to look on the website as we still have not received any notification from the airline of the flight changes for the MEX leg. We would have shown up at the airport on the 29th and been really stuck! I will be writing InterJet a nice letter when I get home and have some time while we are in self quarantine.

-Diane

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
The bigger issue is if people are out of work for an extended period of time, without some type of ongoing income from either their employer or the government, then you will start to see potential mortgage defaults. This is not just a potential issue for Canada, but throughout the world.

In Canada the largest part of household debt is due to the mortgage on our principal residence. Unlike the USA, where mortgage interest is tax-deductible, there is an incentive to pay our mortgages down since they are paid out of after-tax income. Our mortgage debt is higher partly because real estate costs are also generally higher in Canada than in the USA and there is a new generation just entering the real estate market.

If the real estate market slows down for awhile, that may be helpful in taking some of the pressure off a red-hot market. The key ones suffering in that case will be speculators and real estate agents. Neither of those are of concern to me. The bigger issue is whether the average Joe or Jane can continue to cover their debt. If not, there may be a further prolonged impact to our economy, comparable to the 2008 US real estate meltdown.

Overall Canada is fairing better than the USA so far in this pandemic, because we started to pro-act and react sooner than the US and in a more coordinated fashion. To date Canada has 1,085 Covid-19 cases with 13 deaths. The USA has over 15,200 cases with 201 deaths. With 9 times our population the numbers in the US should only be around 9,800 cases and 117 deaths to be comparable to Canada. So the US is so far much more at risk. That is certainly not a reason to be smug, but it does show the difference that a full-out early and coordinated intervention can make.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Justin Trudeau called Canadians home - and they're coming, by the hundreds of thousands.

Richard

Yes. Canadians, like our Aussie cousins, are big travellers. Even before it was needed to cross the Canada/US border, the majority of Canadians held a passport, unlike our cousins in the USA. :cool:

During extraordinary times like this, we realize just how many of our fellow countrymen are actually outside the country. Unfortunately, many in remote locations are struggling to get home and some likely won't make it. :(

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Justin Trudeau called Canadians home - and they're coming, by the hundreds of thousands.

Richard

Im staying where I am. A much better situation then going through airports and sitting in a patri dish for 5 hours. People should have started moving earlier at their own expense if thats what they wanted. It is not helping flatten the curve.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Richard
We are home, but It wasn't without more stress and hassle! Further to my posts above we packed up in a hurry and got out of Belize Saturday before the govt closed the border, and into a hotel in Chetumal. Sunday afternoon we took a taxi to the airport and when the InterJet desk agents finally opened up an agent stood on a bench and made a rather lengthy speech. Naturally it was all in Spanish and we didn't understand anything. An American standing behind us told us they had just cancelled the flight! I wondered what was up as every time I checked Flight Tracker all afternoon our flight showed as on time, but when I clicked on "where's my plane now" there was no information. Luckily the agent we had lined up in front of spoke English very well. He said that they were going to re-book us on the flight the next day. We told him we were booked on a connecting flight in Mexico City to go on to Toronto that evening so a flight the next day was unacceptable. He asked us to wait a few minutes and he would see what he could arrange. He returned about 10 minutes later and said another airline (Volaris) had a flight to Mexico City leaving an hour after our original departure time and he had them hold 2 seats for us. He said we would still have enough time in MX City to collect our bags then recheck them with InterJet for the last leg of our journey. The agent said he had also called the InterJet desk in MX City to advise them we would definitely be on the 2nd leg of our flight but we would be arriving on Volaris. We had to buy the tickets for Volaris and we called today for a refund on the portion of the InterJet flight that was cancelled. They haven't informed us yet on what that amount it will be. We don't care, whatever the cost is, it was worth every penny to make our connection.

We arrived at the Toronto airport early yesterday morning, to find there were very few people in the Immigration/Customs hall or the baggage claim area. There were dozens of customs/ border agents stopping every person and handing out pamphlets explaining the symptoms of COVID19 and telling people they had to go directly home without using public transit or stopping anywhere and self isolate in their homes for 14 days. There were also lots of hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the airport. We were outside waiting for the ParkNFly shuttle about 45 mins after getting off the plane. We found our van that 2 of our kids had left there Sunday and were able to claim it with the receipt our DS emailed to us. We arrived home to find our neighbour (& DH's fellow firefighter) who looked after our house all winter had been over an hour before we arrived and turned up our furnace and water heater. His wife had baked a batch of muffins and there were a dozen sitting on our counter. Our DD had not only picked up a bunch of groceries for us on Saturday, taken them to our place, she even put them all away! She also took a bottle of hand sanitizer and a tub of Lysol wipes from the upstairs bathroom and put them in our mudroom. She thought we might want to wipe down our suitcases before taking them upstairs, which we did. We also stripped down to our underwear and put everything in the washing machine, even our windbreakers. Our shoes got a Lysol wipe down and then sat in an inch of Mr Clean in the laundry tub overnight to clean the soles.

Hopefully we didn't pickup anything at any of the 3 airports, we were really using a lot of hand sanitizer and being very careful. There were a lot of people wearing masks (not us) and some wearing gloves, including 1 woman we saw who was wearing lovely pink dishwashing gloves that went right up to her elbow! Now we are in our home for the next 14 days catching up on 3 months of pre-recorded TV shows and enjoying the fast internet.

~Diane