• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian passport renewal. Has anyone done this recently?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Two of our kids have their passports expiring next month. Canadian government seems to want to make it difficult to get a new passport issued.

We’ve always done the in-person application, but those aren’t available unless you are traveling within 30 days. The other option is mail, which I’m not keen to do as the potential for errors abounds.

Has anyone recently applied for a new passport? What was your experience?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Yes. Got new kids passports by mail. Took a couple of weeks.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We sent a renewal application in for my son's passport a couple of weeks ago and don't have anything yet. I agree that this is one of the things that is better to do in person, but its expiring and this is the only option...

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That sounds unreal to those of us south of the border.
It was a few years back, but I renewed my passport by mail and got it back pretty quickly.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sons passports expired in May but we will wait to apply for new ones ( but within a year of expiration) until we want to travel to us/Canada. I got them other passports so we could return home in late February but no one asked for them when their Canadian ones were no good for boarding or entry. $200 down the drain as it works out.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Ours were renewed (the extra page/ 10yr one) 2 years ago. We need them done in a hurry in between trips. We got our photos and filled out the forms then took everything to our local MP's office. The woman there looked the whole application over, checked the photos to make sure they were acceptable, and sent them to Ottawa via government mail courier. We didn't pay for expedited processing or special mail delivery but had them back in less than 3 weeks. Covid and the possibility of fewer staff in the processing office may slow your applications down. I'd get them sent in asap if you are travelling this winter.

~Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ours were renewed (the extra page/ 10yr one) 2 years ago. We need them done in a hurry in between trips. We got our photos and filled out the forms then took everything to our local MP's office. The woman there looked the whole application over, checked the photos to make sure they were acceptable, and sent them to Ottawa via government mail courier. We didn't pay for expedited processing or special mail delivery but had them back in less than 3 weeks. Covid and the possibility of fewer staff in the processing office may slow your applications down. I'd get them sent in asap if you are travelling this winter.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I filled the applications out tonight. I just need the photos and I'll get them sent off this week.

Just curious @moonstone - what do you mean by "extra page/ 10 year one"? My current passport expires in 2023 but I only have space for two more visas left. I was hoping that I could make it until 2023, but last year China started only giving out two-entry visas (these allow me to do work within China - before I had one-year multiple-entry). In 2019 I was over six times, so that really chewed up the pages.

I would love to have a passport with more than 36 pages. I'm jealous of the 52-page ones that the US gives out.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That sounds unreal to those of us south of the border.
Getting a US passport in Canada can be a pain. I wish they had mail service. For our two American kids, we have to make an appointment at the US consulate, which is a 3-hour drive. Fortunately, the service is really quick and we receive the new passports within a week by mail (we have to provide the consulate a prepaid courier envelope).

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sons passports expired in May but we will wait to apply for new ones ( but within a year of expiration) until we want to travel to us/Canada. I got them other passports so we could return home in late February but no one asked for them when their Canadian ones were no good for boarding or entry. $200 down the drain as it works out.
Why do you want to do it within a year of expiration? All child passports require a new application. The one-year limit only applies to the renewal of adult passports (and that has been extended by 12 months due to covid).

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I filled the applications out tonight. I just need the photos and I'll get them sent off this week.

Just curious @moonstone - what do you mean by "extra page/ 10 year one"? My current passport expires in 2023 but I only have space for two more visas left. I was hoping that I could make it until 2023, but last year China started only giving out two-entry visas (these allow me to do work within China - before I had one-year multiple-entry). In 2019 I was over six times, so that really chewed up the pages.

I would love to have a passport with more than 36 pages. I'm jealous of the 52-page ones that the US gives out.

We have the 10-year passports. Ours expire in 2026. I just checked and they only have 36 pages. Is it possible that more recent ones have more pages?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have the 10-year passports. Ours expire in 2026. I just checked and they only have 36 pages. Is it possible that more recent ones have more pages?
My wife's passport expires in 2027 and has 36 pages. From the passport website it looks like 36 pages are the only option.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to do it within a year of expiration? All child passports require a new application. The one-year limit only applies to the renewal of adult passports (and that has been extended by 12 months due to covid).
Good to know. I knew they had to apply for new ones but thought within a year would be easier. Two more passports and then they are on their own. But no rush to apply at the moment.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

Our old 5 yr passports had 24 pages, the 10yr ones have 36. I also wish we could get the 52 page ones like the US ones have. Similar to your trips to China, when we get our visitor visas (1 per month, so 3 for our winter stay) in Belize, each stamp was taking up 1/2 of 1 side of the page. That was filling our passports rather quickly until last winter when they started giving out 2 month extensions on 1 stamp. Now we just fill 1 side of 1 page per winter.

~Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I got my passports for my two kids back today. Mailed them out late last week. Unfortunately Canada Post decided that they would deliver to the sender (me) rather than to Passport Canada.

I used Xpresspost which has a two day delivery standard. The mail carrier who delivered it today took it back and noted that they had delivered to the wrong address. Address on the form is clearly marked - so this is completely on Canada Post.

This is why I want to renew in-person:wall:

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The new passports finally arrived yesterday in the mail. They arrived at passport Canada on October 15th, and were produced in November 17th - so a little beyond the 20-day processing mark.

They did not send back the supporting documents (birth certificates etc.). Does anyone know if those are sent under a separate mailing?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I got birth certificates back in a separate mailing before the passports.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
They did not send back the supporting documents (birth certificates etc.). Does anyone know if those are sent under a separate mailing?

I don't know for sure, since I have only ever applied in person. However, I suspect that the person(s) doing the approval would not be involved in the actual printing and mailing of the new passports. It would likely be those who approved it and used the originals for verification that would be responsible for the return of any original supporting documents. If you don't have them by mid-week, I would call them.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new passports finally arrived yesterday in the mail. They arrived at passport Canada on October 15th, and were produced in November 17th - so a little beyond the 20-day processing mark.

I got my kids other documents back separate Xpresspost envelope 3-4 days after we got the passports.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. This was the first time I've done a renewal by mail. Good to know we can expect to see the originals soon.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Original birth certificates as well as their (now) cancelled passports arrived via Xpresspost today.
Thanks to everyone who helped put me at ease.

Now to wait it out to see if our trip will go ahead as planned (26 days left!).