• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian ,jet crashes during flyover for front-line coronavirus workers, killing 1 and setting a house ablaze

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thanks for posting this Richard. It is a sad day here in Canada. One of our beloved Snowbirds has been lost.

Both the DND and the RCAF have confirmed one crew member injured and one deceased. The pilot was Capt. Richard MacDougall, who thankfully has non-life threatening injuries. The deceased is Capt. Jennifer Casey, the squadron's public affairs officer. She is originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia, so another sad day for the residents of that province, who have already suffered so much tragedy recently.

From the available video, there was a problem with the aircraft almost immediately after takeoff. It appeared that both the crew executed a low-level ejection, which always has inherent dangers. As an air force brat, my prayers go out to the immediate families and also to all the members and families of 431 Air Demonstration Squadron, based in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. They are a close, tightly knit community. It is a time of grief for all of them. They were amongst the best of the best.

I watched them fly over our house a week ago yesterday, both as they approached and left Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) on two of the legs of this tour. It was joyful to be able to see them again. They were on a tour across Canada designed to help lift up the spirits of all Canadians, to honour all front-line health care workers and give us hope in the middle of the pandemic lockdown. They had almost completed their cross-country tour, with just the west coast of British Columbia remaining. Such a sad occurrence in the middle of such an inspiring endeavour.

The crash is a tragedy, but they were doing what they loved, so there is some solace in that. I was also very happy to learn that there appear to have been no fatalities on the ground at the crash scene. Sic Itur Ad Astra!

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I am not in favor of this activity, waste of money better spent just cutting a check and sending it to the medical workers.

I imagine the person who came home to find his house burnt down was not happy about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

VanX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
The persons where home when the plane crashed and luckily away from the impact area. Regrettably the female pilot had not ejected and she suffered massive trauma resulting in being pronounced deceased at the site. A retired nurse neighbor was one of the first persons to her aid.

Kamloops where the crash occurred is not my hometown but we have friends there and we visit or pass through a couple times a year.

While I was not able to serve as part of our national armed forces but did have the honor to serve my community as a volunteer firefighter for 15 years I looked forward in anticipation of seeing our national representatives airborne & overhead.

I know that the many seniors who built this community And who are currently hold up at home, since early March, could enjoy some of that “on guard for thee” inspiration that they embodied so well and so that we might live free now.

We live in a small Canadian town of 9,000 and our Fire Dept. formed as a result of World War II and we still have on our Fire Hall walls the mortgage documents of original members who refinanced their homes in order afford to buy the towns first fire truck - Engine 1, which is now the parade truck.

Community parades and Air Force / Coast Guard fly by’s are a big part of our
thriving life force / raison d’etre. Never to be considered a waste of time, energy or purpose.

That which binds us in purpose is priceless.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Thanks for posting this Richard. It is a sad day here in Canada. One of our beloved Snowbirds has been lost.

Both the DND and the RCAF have confirmed one crew member injured and one deceased. The pilot was Capt. Richard MacDougall, who thankfully has non-life threatening injuries. The deceased is Capt. Jennifer Casey, the squadron's public affairs officer, who is also a pilot. She is originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia, so another sad day for the residents of that province, who have already suffered so much tragedy recently.

From the available video, there was a problem with the aircraft almost immediately after takeoff. Both the crew had to execute a low-level ejection, which always has inherent dangers. As an air force brat, my prayers go out to the immediate families and also to all the members and families of 431 Air Demonstration Squadron, based in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. They are a close, tightly knit community. It is a time of grief for all of them. They were amongst the best of the best.

I watched them fly over our house a week ago yesterday, both as they approached and left Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) on two of the legs of this tour. It was joyful to be able to see them again. They were on a tour across Canada designed to help lift up the spirits of all Canadians, to honour all front-line health care workers and give us hope in the middle of the pandemic lockdown. They had almost completed their cross-country tour, with just the west coast of British Columbia remaining. Such a sad occurrence in the middle of such an inspiring endeavour.

The crash is a tragedy, but they were doing what they loved, so there is some solace in that. I was also very happy to learn that there appear to have been no fatalities on the ground at the crash scene. Sic Itur Ad Astra!
So We go to the Stars for those who need a translation.

Richard

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't see or hear any information about the deceased pilot's background such as her age and family. For instance, was she married (or in some other form of committed relationship)? Did she have any children? Are her parents still with us or have they passed away?

I was looking but didn't find any of that information.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
So We go to the Stars for those who need a translation.

Richard

Good literal translation from the Latin, Richard. A little air force history: "Sic Itur Ad Astra" is the motto of the RCAF and several other air-related military and other organizations around the world. Its official RCAF translation is "Such is the Pathway to the Stars".

It was the official motto of the Canadian Air Force from its inception in 1918 until 1924. In 1924, when the Royal designation was added, the RCAF adopted the motto "Per Ardua Ad Astra" ("Through Adversity to the Stars"), in common with the RAF, RAAF and RNZAF. When the Canadian Armed Forces were integrated in 1968, the Air Command (now RCAF again since 2010) reverted to the original motto of "Sic Itur Ad Astra".

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I am not in favor of this activity, waste of money better spent just cutting a check and sending it to the medical workers.

I imagine the person who came home to find his house burnt down was not happy about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm very disappointed by your comment, Dave. I have normally come to find more compassion from you. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but given the circumstances, I quite frankly find the timing of your comment not in the best of taste. The body of Capt. Casey is barely cold.

Canadian Forces personnel have also been acting in front-line roles to help out in our country's battle against Covid-19. This was their way of honouring all those front-line workers from home care workers, orderlies and support staff to the doctors and nurses doing the treatments, while also trying to bring a little joy into the lives of everyday Canadians, most of us having been confined to our homes for the last two months.

Our country has already made available bonuses and extra payments to many of our front-line health staff. Might I respectfully suggest that if that is how you feel, perhaps address your comments to those in charge of the USAF Thunderbirds team or the USN Blue Angels team, both of whom carry out similar activities on behalf of your country. Kindly leave our country to make our own decisions about what practices and traditions we wish to honour and support.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
When I first saw the story I thought it was about elderly Snowbirds and I thought, "they crash all the time."

What a shame for this to happen. It will be interesting to see if they discover what happened. Normally these demonstration team planes are highly maintained.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I saw the video. The plane that crashed just had several large puffs of black smoke. I wonder if it was FOD from a bird strike.

Prayers to the families.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I didn't see or hear any information about the deceased pilot's background such as her age and family. For instance, was she married (or in some other form of committed relationship)? Did she have any children? Are her parents still with us or have they passed away?
I was looking but didn't find any of that information.

There is some info on the deceased Snowbird member here;
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/snowbirds-crash-jenn-casey-nova-scotia-kamloops-1.5574274
No mention of a husband or any other family members in any news article that I've seen.

~Diane

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)