• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canada to open border to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9

Bill4728

Reaction score
Getting back to the US yesterday was a little surreal.

There were no cars at all going toward the US and the lane to drive to custom's booth was closed by a cone. When we approached the lane, a police officer got out of a car and questioned us. Then removed the cone blocking the lane and directed us to the regular customs booth. We were waived thru in 30 seconds.

Weird ;)

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Abbekit, you did NOT need proof of a negative covid test to re-enter the US by vehicle, correct? I did read that anyone arriving by AIR will need proof of a negative test, but that order only applies to arrivals by air.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Abbekit, you did NOT need proof of a negative covid test to re-enter the US by vehicle, correct? I did read that anyone arriving by AIR will need proof of a negative test, but that order only applies to arrivals by air.

Yes, your understanding is correct. A negative Covid-19 test is only required for US citizens and permanent residents if re-entering the USA by air, not if crossing at a land border, per the US CBP and State Department website FAQs.

I don't actually follow the logic in that, but I'm not sure the current US administration has any real, logical plan. It also eludes me as to why Americans can now cross the land border or fly into Canada, and Canadians can fly into the USA, but we can't enter the USA at the land borders!! :doh::shrug:

Last edited:

abbekit

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa

We don’t cross back into the US for two more days but yes, based on the State Dept website we aren’t getting tested for our return home.

Driving into Canada (at the Sumas/Abbotsford border north of Seattle) was simple. Even with our two dogs. The border agent wanted to see our ArriveCAN receipt (I had printed and digital copies) and the receipt for our Covid CPR test. Other than that she only asked the usual questions (did we have alcohol or firearms). Even though we have Nexus cards there are no Nexus lanes open into Canada at this time. But didn’t matter, no other cars crossing when we were there (and it was the Labor Day holiday weekend).

We are currently at the Banff Rocky Mountain Resort timeshare and have seen only a couple of other US license plates anywhere in Canada but have met up with a few other Americans on the hiking trails who have flown in so not sure how many of the Alberta and BC plates are rent cars.

Just like our home in Oregon they are taking the same precautions, masks are required everywhere indoors and people are abiding by that.

abbekit

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
Yes, your understanding is correct. A negative Covid-19 test is only required for US citizens and permanent residents if re-entering the USA by air, not if crossing at a land border, per the US CBP and State Department website FAQs.

I don't actually follow the logic in that, but I'm not sure the current US administration has any real, logical plan. It also eludes me as to why Americans can now cross the land border or fly into Canada, and Canadians can fly into the USA, but we can't enter the USA at the land borders!! :doh::shrug:

I agree and we’ve spoken to many CanadIans on this trip who feel the same. It makes me embarrassed/angry at our US rules. I’d much rather have vaccinated Canadian tourists than people from the US who aren’t vaccinated but can visit beautiful Oregon with no restrictions.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I agree and we’ve spoken to many CanadIans on this trip who feel the same. It makes me embarrassed/angry at our US rules. I’d much rather have vaccinated Canadian tourists than people from the US who aren’t vaccinated but can visit beautiful Oregon with no restrictions.

Maybe because the entering Canada requires a covid test..good enough for the return trip? Don't know.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we entered Canada (Blaine) last Saturday there were about 6 lanes open. Each had a car/people with the Canadian Border Officer and 1 car waiting. Apparently the folks in front of us were not answering all the questions correctly. The Officer kept asking more questions and then looking at his Computer. Eventually they were directed to the area for a detailed search. Our turn. He took our Passports and scanned them into his Computer. Examined our Proof of Vaccine Cards. Looked at our down loaded Test Results. Asked if any firearms or dangerous weapons. Wished us a good stay in Victoria.