• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canada & China helping eachother perfectly

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Canada had extra PPE , ventilators etc so sent 16 tonnes to China in February as they were in crisis. Now China is sending them back, and more, in time for expected peak a few weeks from now. Current hospital bed occupancy 68%, enough PPE ventilators for now, this is how well run health care and diplomacy works. https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/2020/3/28/1_4872541.html

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell that to the jailed Canadians in China.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes, China manufacturing is back. Hoping US will erase tariffs on medical supplies.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
A USA domestic version of this was suggested by the Governor of New York State
during his Weds or Thurs daily press conference .

(ie) - have NYS get more federal supply of ventilators now - and as the peak need passed in NYS - he personally
would make sure those ventilators were trucked to another state that had increasing demand .

I do not recall hearing or reading of a Federal government response - specific to that concept .

btoby61

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SRV, HICV
Canada had extra PPE , ventilators etc so sent 16 tonnes to China in February as they were in crisis. Now China is sending them back, and more, in time for expected peak a few weeks from now. Current hospital bed occupancy 68%, enough PPE ventilators for now, this is how well run health care and diplomacy works. https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/2020/3/28/1_4872541.html

I Know the CDC is antiquated we should dismantle it ...

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score

Curious. Doesn't Canada and Great Britain usually follow the same path of political diplomacy with China? The following article would potentially put them at odds. Some excerpts:

China's behaviour during the coronavirus pandemic will eventually result in a 'reckoning' in relations with Beijing, close allies of Boris Johnson have warned.

Senior Ministers think China risks becoming a pariah state unless there are sweeping reforms when the crisis abates, and they are demanding an urgent review of Britain's relationship with the Communist super-state.

Mr Johnson has been warned by scientific advisers that China's officially declared statistics on the number of cases of coronavirus could be 'downplayed by a factor of 15 to 40 times'. And No 10 believes China is seeking to build its economic power during the pandemic with 'predatory offers of help' countries around the world.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell that to the jailed Canadians in China.
Why are those Canadians in jail in China?

Did they break any laws in China?

Last edited:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Curious. Doesn't Canada and Great Britain usually follow the same path of political diplomacy with China? The following article would potentially put them at odds. Some excerpts:

China's behaviour during the coronavirus pandemic will eventually result in a 'reckoning' in relations with Beijing, close allies of Boris Johnson have warned.

Senior Ministers think China risks becoming a pariah state unless there are sweeping reforms when the crisis abates, and they are demanding an urgent review of Britain's relationship with the Communist super-state.

Mr Johnson has been warned by scientific advisers that China's officially declared statistics on the number of cases of coronavirus could be 'downplayed by a factor of 15 to 40 times'. And No 10 believes China is seeking to build its economic power during the pandemic with 'predatory offers of help' countries around the world.

I would say no, we go our own way since Tony Blair's UK's embarrasing support of the whole 'weapons of mass destruction' embarrassment. The USA is pushing everyone hardest to stop dealing with China and Canada is resisting.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
So China hides this virus for weeks, silences doctors who try to get the story out to the world, lets infected people fly to all corners of the world, virus from China kills 10,000 people in Italy, shuts down economies all over the world...how kind of them to return the loaned items. Seeing that tests kits they sold to other countries were faulty, I would triple sanitize everything. I read elsewhere that health care workers in Canada were furious because personal safety protection gear was in short supply.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only hope the medical supplies Canada gets from China are better than what Netherlands, Spain, and Czech Republic got. Hundreds of thousands of masks and testing kits were so unreliable, they were basically unusable.

maph

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are those Canadians in jail in China?

Did they break any laws in China?

They were arrested in retaliation for Canada's arrest of Meng Wanzhou, the daughter of the founder of Huawei. They've been held in prison for over a year without being charged with any crime. You can read about her here:

Brett

Reaction score
They were arrested in retaliation for Canada's arrest of Meng Wanzhou, the daughter of the founder of Huawei. They've been held in prison for over a year without being charged with any crime. You can read about her here:

Maybe Canada can do a 'quid pro quo' exchange with Huawei officials for ventilators and masks

nomoretslt

Reaction score
A USA domestic version of this was suggested by the Governor of New York State
during his Weds or Thurs daily press conference .

(ie) - have NYS get more federal supply of ventilators now - and as the peak need passed in NYS - he personally
would make sure those ventilators were trucked to another state that had increasing demand .

I do not recall hearing or reading of a Federal government response - specific to that concept .

You need to catch up on the news. Federal government shipped 4,000 ventilators to NY a few days ago. They are sitting in a warehouse in NY because Cuomo the governor said “well we don’t need them at this moment, we are not at our apex”. So he is hoarding. What happens if Florida, now a big hotspot, needs them. Maybe you need to change the channel and watch a different news program.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to catch up on the news. Federal government shipped 4,000 ventilators to NY a few days ago. They are sitting in a warehouse in NY because Cuomo the governor said “well we don’t need them at this moment, we are not at our apex”. So he is hoarding. What happens if Florida, now a big hotspot, needs them. Maybe you need to change the channel and watch a different news program.

You do understand who will hit the apex first .....right. and really HOARDING :rolleyes:

I also have a guess where you got that info. The one that goes from hoax to hoarding essential equipment for that hoax in the same segment.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
The point being the things WERE delivered. And I can guess where you get your info from. Have a nice evening.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
Bottom line, and only my opinion, the US needs to repatriate National Security manufacturing from China -- it is absolutely ludicrous that we have allowed ourselves to become vulnerable and we are now paying the price. I sincerely hope that, once this is all behind us, we take serious action on doing that's right for our country regardless of whether it benefits the corporate gross margin or their stockholders.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bottom line, and only my opinion, the US needs to repatriate National Security manufacturing from China -- it is absolutely ludicrous that we have allowed ourselves to become vulnerable and we are now paying the price. I sincerely hope that, once this is all behind us, we take serious action on doing that's right for our country regardless of whether it benefits the corporate gross margin or their stockholders.
I'm a huge buy local fan. I agree with you. Why did USA citizens switch to wanting cheap imported Walmart crap, destroy local business and let good paying manufacturing jobs leave the country? To save 15% on the cost of a Tshirt and air conditioner ?? Wake up! Same goes for Canada where i live. Countries, states/provinces, and cities need to produce stuff for their own.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
The point being the things WERE delivered. And I can guess where you get your info from. Have a nice evening.
So if you needed 30 pills to live and got 4 you would be happy. Especially when like you say someone in another state kept them because they may need them later.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge buy local fan. I agree with you. Why did USA citizens switch to wanting cheap imported Walmart crap, destroy local business and let good paying manufacturing jobs leave the country? To save 15% on the cost of a Tshirt and air conditioner ?? Wake up! Same goes for Canada where i live. Countries, states/provinces, and cities need to produce stuff for their own.

That would be all well and good if everyone was equally good at producing everything. But comparative advantage exists and makes us all richer. Taken to an extreme, we could all revert to sustenance agriculture and provide our own needs within our own family, but in that case I think not many folks would get as far as producing pharmaceuticals.

As a more cogent example, I live in a cold place. It makes a great deal of sense for Alberta (where I live) to export natural gas which we have in abundance to the USA in exchange for money, and then use the money to buy orange juice from Florida and strawberries and almonds from California. We could use the gas to heat giant greenhouses and grow that produce ourselves. Trading the gas for the produce makes everyone better off.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would be all well and good if everyone was equally good at producing everything. But comparative advantage exists and makes us all richer. Taken to an extreme, we could all revert to sustenance agriculture and provide our own needs within our own family, but in that case I think not many folks would get as far as producing pharmaceuticals.

As a more cogent example, I live in a cold place. It makes a great deal of sense for Alberta (where I live) to export natural gas which we have in abundance to the USA in exchange for money, and then use the money to buy orange juice from Florida and strawberries and almonds from California. We could use the gas to heat giant greenhouses and grow that produce ourselves. Trading the gas for the produce makes everyone better off.
Never said 100%. I used to teach 1st year college economics. Support your neighbours! Reject Walmart!

Last edited: