• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you view Resorts availability prior to purchasing a resale Timeshare? How to make ab educated decision on a resale

Gizmo1221

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fiesta Americana Los Cabos
Hello Tugs,

I am interested in investing in timeshares to be used as a way to payoff maintenance fees and put some extra money in my pocket. Some of the questions I have during my searches are:

* If I bought this, would I even be able to book a popular month to be able to list my week... even if its floating?
* What are the best timeshares to buy to gain the most for your money?
* How do people on Airbnb post different prices for different dates without reserving it with their timeshare first?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
First, timeshares are NOT an investment! If they could be rented profitably, why do suppose developers sell intervals to suckers like us?

Next: You can't if you list one for rent, someone else will list theirs for less to help subsidize MF they can't afford.

Next: ones that are in popular locations, at prime times, and paid for.

Next: They aren't.

The value of TS is in their use and the memories they provide families. It is not financial.

Jim

Gizmo1221

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fiesta Americana Los Cabos
I am referring to resales. That are being sold for free. You are just paying maintenance

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
So was @Passepartout. Even a resale purchased for $0 is not an investment. Well, it's an investment, just not a good one.
You are not just paying maintenance, by the way. You are paying for a special assessment whenever that happens.
If you purchase the unit for $0, unless the seller pays all associated costs, you will pay some sort of closing or transfer fee. Could be hundreds of $$.
If the seller is giving away the week and paying closing, it means he wants the albatross off his shoulders. Renting the unit was not working for them.
When the time comes for you to dump it, you may end up paying a year's MF to entice someone to take it. That's not an investment.
And rent is not foolproof. People do occasionally get screwed by renters.

All that being said, attempting to lock prime weeks is not necessarily easy.
If you buy Marriott, for example, people who own multiple weeks will have an advantage over you in reserving the best weeks.
If you want to see what units rent for, get a Redweek account (it's very inexpensive). You can see what people are asking for rent. You won't see what it finally rented for.
Interval International has a demand index for all their resorts. Let you know the most popular weeks, which one can infer are the weeks that would rent for the most $$.
Every system has their rules for reserving weeks, but you typically need to call a year ahead of time and be prepared for the best weeks to be gone within minutes.
Of course, having a fixed week makes you immune to that, but a high rent week will not be one that is given for $0.

You will also see ads with a low rental price, but showing "2020" as the arrival date. These are teasers to try to get you to call so they can rent you what they actually have.
Or they are middle-men, offering you the week you want at a high price. If you accept, they rent the unit from someone else at a lower price.
Vacation Candy did that to me. I offered my Hawaii week for $X on Redweek. VC listed a Hawaii week for the same date for $X+$300. Someone said OK to VC, and VC rented my week and turned around and sublet to their customer. They never had a week to rent, even when a customer contacted them. Personally I think that's dishonest.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I've looked at rentals at some desirable properties, and the rates are barely above and sometimes below the MF's. You'd never be able to make a profit on less desirable properties. Timeshares can be hard to sell or even give away, so it should be considered a lifetime commitment. We're glad we bought resale, but we've been able to use it every year for the past 16 years. Both weeks that we bought resale, we weren't able to use the year that we bought, and ended up renting for much less than the MF's for the year.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Agree with others.
Timeshares are NOT an investment.
If you are buying solely to rent out, you will likely be disappointed. Renting above maintenance fee is not a sure thing... ever... even for very desirable properties.
The only timeshares that seem to have a close to guaranteed rental potential are Disney DVC, and that has a high buy in price.

timetofly

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like what you really want to do is buy a fixer-upper to rent on Airbnb. Otherwise, pick a desirable fixed week at a place you want to stay at every few years with relatively low MF, decent management, and wait for someone to be offering to give it away for free. I don't think you will make money so much as hopefully have some nice vacations and try to break even the rest of the time.

Last edited: