• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you rent out a Florida Club week exchange as your own?

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that you can't rent an exchange aquired through II. But, what if I exchanged my Grande Vista week for Ocean Pointe or beach Place Towers through Marriott, can I then rent out those weeks?

Charles

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You mean one you got through the Florida Club? Sorry, but I don't know the answer and am just as curious as to what it would be if this is what you mean.

Suzzanne

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
i don't believe you can. it has been said many times on these boards,"you can't rent what you don't own".

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Marriott sales-folk say . . .

irish said:
i don't believe you can. it has been said many times on these boards,"you can't rent what you don't own".

. . . that buying a Florida Club resort is like buying into 5 resorts :rolleyes:

I'll probably end up giving them a call.

Charles

PS Result of Call: I called owner services and they said it was OK to rent the week that I traded for.

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The answer you received should be correct. As far as I know, Marriott has no prohibition against renting.

The restriction often mentioned on these forums is the restriction that the exchange companies have against renting weeks obtained through them.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
CMF said:
. . . that buying a Florida Club resort is like buying into 5 resorts :rolleyes:

I'll probably end up giving them a call.

Charles

PS Result of Call: I called owner services and they said it was OK to rent the week that I traded for.
Charles, the main word here....that you have used incorrectly....is TRADE....
Reserving a week thru the Florida Club is not a trade...it is a RESERVATION....the same as one made at your home resort....
being a member of the Florida club gives you 5 home resorts.
Can't you trust :eek: your buddy :D ???? :D

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
okay, now i am REALLY confused. can someone explain this to me please.
is my ORIGINAL reservation at the grand vista or for one of the other 5 florida clubs. it this reservation in ADDITION to the week i own at the grand vista or in place of?
so let's say i own at grand vista, where i might possible rent my easter week 2 bedroom for approx. $1500.00. i go to the florida club and happen to get lucky and can reserve a 2 bedroom easter week at ocean point. now i can turn around and rent this OP unit, that i don't own, for $2500.00 .is this be right??

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
irish said:
okay, now i am REALLY confused. can someone explain this to me please.
is my ORIGINAL reservation at the grand vista or for one of the other 5 florida clubs. it this reservation in ADDITION to the week i own at the grand vista or in place of?
so let's say i own at grand vista, where i might possible rent my easter week 2 bedroom for approx. $1500.00. i go to the florida club and happen to get lucky and can reserve a 2 bedroom easter week at ocean point. now i can turn around and rent this OP unit, that i don't own, for $2500.00 .is this be right??

If you own at Grande Vista and your interval is deeded as part of the Florida club, then you can float your week across all Florida club resorts according to the reservation rules. Those rules allow you to reserve a week at any of the Florida club resorts, but only at the 6 month prior to check in mark. I think it has to be in the season you bought too. Also, remember, you pay extra for this access in your maintenance fees whether or not you use it.

Your rights to the reserved unit are identical as if you owned it since those are the property rights granted to you as part of your deed. So, you can do anything that is allowed by the HOA and is consistent with property ownership rights in this country. So yes, you can rent it.

It's too bad that Marriott didn't deed all properties in this way across all resorts. Then, it could simply use its reservation system to book weeks as opposed to using II. It can still do it and should some day. It would just be easier if it were part of the HOA and deeds.

Good luck getting Marriott's Ocean Pointe for Easter week at the 6 month mark. It ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
okay, now i get it.thank you

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
BocaBum99 said:
It's too bad that Marriott didn't deed all properties in this way across all resorts. Then, it could simply use its reservation system to book weeks as opposed to using II. It can still do it and should some day. It would just be easier if it were part of the HOA and deeds.

How can they change it now? Since we've already signed a deed with certain properties designated as the Florida Club, how can it be opened to all the Marriott resorts? Aren't the deeds a "done deal" now that they're signed?

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quilter said:
How can they change it now? Since we've already signed a deed with certain properties designated as the Florida Club, how can it be opened to all the Marriott resorts? Aren't the deeds a "done deal" now that they're signed?

Quilter,

There are a number of ways to accomplish this feat. Here is one way that I know will work. Marriott can create a new Multi-site timesharing plan in which all deeds are put into a trust managed by a Marriott entity. Instead of a deed, people get Owner beneficiary rights which are in essence a right to use plan. Marriott can grant first reservation right access to owners of those fixed weeks. Then, after the owner reservation period, they can open it up to any available Marriott Vacation Club interval that is part of the trust. No need to worry about the RTU since deeds will revert back to the owner of the Beneficiary if the trust goes bankrupt or out of business. All it would take is for Marriott to create the Multi-site plan. Florida has a whole body of statutes dedicated to this concept. And, Bluegreen Vacation Club, as an example is set up this way. One of the great side benefits of this approach is that changing owners is very easy. Now, it's just an entry in a database managed by the trust. It can happen for about $100-150.

There are other more complicated methods of doing the same thing, but they are messier in terms of deeds and recording them, etc.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I wish that Marriott would have its' own internal exchange system...that we wouldn't have to go thru II for M to M exchanges....but would still have the option to do external exchanges thru II or one of the independents.....

This could happen, too!

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
GrayFal said:
I wish that Marriott would have its' own internal exchange system...that we wouldn't have to go thru II for M to M exchanges....but would still have the option to do external exchanges thru II or one of the independents.....

This could happen, too!

The best aspect of such a program is that prime weeks would never be deposited into II. They would remain for Marriott owners. Trading power would be just as good. And, the reservation fee could go away or drop to about $35.

I'm not sure why it hasn't happened already. Maybe it's the legacy relationship Marriott had with II.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
I believe you can. The only problem is that you can only reserve it 6 months in advance. At that point, there is not much availability for prime weeks.

tompk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see the Florida Club as a great opportunity for the likes of GV gold owners to get an a/c by reserving at OP and then depositing the OP week to Interval. Trade power for any gold OP is surely similar to gold GV, so its a big win for the gold GV owner, gets an extra week via the a/c.

iamnotshopgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well folks it's time for bob to get enlighten (lol). Can someone briefly explain to me the "Florida Club" or provide a link so that I may research it. I take it that it consists of several properties but I would like to know how it works.

bob