• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can someone please explain how short stays work [2017 Thread]

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Need help understanding how short stays work with WorldMark if I upgrade to a platinum account. Also what are the fees

Unless I'm missing something I could find nothing in my owner portal explaining this.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Need help understanding how short stays work with WorldMark if I upgrade to a platinum account. Also what are the fees

Unless I'm missing something I could find nothing in my owner portal explaining this.
This sounds like it belongs in the Wyndham Vacations Forum, because there is no Platinum account in WorldMark. Also, every WorldMark owner has short stay privileges if reserved less than 10 months in advance, no VIP status required.

The question must be related to short stays in WorldMark through Platinum Wyndham using Club Pass. There is no advantage, because every Club Wyndham owner using Club Pass has the same privileges at 9 months in advance, no VIP status (Platinum or otherwise) required.

(OK, maybe Wyndham Platinum VIP get free housekeeping on Club Pass exchanges. Don't know about that. Send it to the Wyndham forum for an answer.)

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This sounds like it belongs in the Wyndham Vacations Forum, because there is no Platinum account in WorldMark. Also, every WorldMark owner has short stay privileges if reserved less than 10 months in advance.

The question must be related to short stays in WorldMark through Platinum Wyndham using Club Pass.
No the OP is asking about II short stay options available with an upgraded gold or platinum account.

I don't have a world mark account but I can give the basics of the short stay program- which I have never used mainly because of the inventory available in the program.

Short stays are a fairly small subset of the total II inventory. It has some last minute inventory in moderately popular places during shoulder season. It has some prime inventory in places like Orlando but generally not at the higher tiered resorts in larger sizes. It also has some inventory during low season at more locations. With points you pay per night with weekends costing more points than weekdays. There is an exchange fee involved as well based on the number of nights. I think it probably starts around $129 or so for one night up to $159 for 5 or 6 nights online. Even though the fee is the same for regular exchanges phone or online, short stays still give a discount for online bookings.

With a regular account you can see the the short stay inventory without being gold or platinum, it just says you have to pay to upgrade before it will actually let you book.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Yes I am referring to WorldMark being exchanged into a Platinum II account and used for short stays,

I am trying to understand the credits required, the cost for the stays, and how long the rest of your week lasts before it expires.

I understand you can search for short stays first. But when I do the available exchanges also show the number short stay points required where do these points come from?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I am referring to WorldMark being exchanged into a Platinum II account and used for short stays,
OK, so it belongs in the Exchanging forum, not the WorldMark forum. There is no Platinum account in WorldMark to upgrade to.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
CO Skier -

Quit getting hung up on the word platinum. My question belongs in WM area it is in regards to how a Platinum Interval International Exchange account works with Worldmark for shot stays. My question is Worldmark specific.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
CO Skier -

Quit getting hung up on the word platinum. My question belongs in WM area it is in regards to how a Platinum Interval International Exchange account works with Worldmark for shot stays. My question is Worldmark specific.
It has more to do with exchanging than WorldMark, but have it your way.

You will get more information about Interval Internation Platinum in the Exchange forum.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
It has more to do with exchanging than WorldMark, but have it your way.

You will get more information about Interval Internation Platinum in the Exchange forum.

You clearly don't understand what is being asked here and the uniqueness of WM trades through II. The question is WM specific and requires another WM owner who has utilized this option. That isn't you so why do you insist on butting in? Give it a rest.

I am trying to understand the credits required, the cost for the stays, and how long the rest of your week lasts before it expires.

I understand you can search for short stays first. But when I do the available exchanges also show the number short stay points required where do these points come from?

I don't think you will find your answer here. There just aren't enough WM owners who have done the short stay option. The only ones I've heard of are via the older posts on wmowners that you referenced on your post there. There aren't enough resort options and, from what I understand in the past, the exchanges cost too much to make it worthwhile. If I remember correctly from when it was instituted, the cost in credits for a partial week was the same or almost the same as a full week. Please call the WM II desk and report back if you are able to find the answers.

Sue

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
@sue1947, thanks for adding the needed context re: II's Platinum program.

@breezez : Sorry -- I'm another long-time WM owner who hasn't bothered with II's Platinum program, although I do maintain and enjoy a standard II account. Hope you find what you need and can provide a summary update?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So, the points listed on the shortstay page are the points required to complete the exchange. They are withdrawn from your Worldmark account just as a normal exchange will withdraw points. You will be charged an exchange fee for each shortstay exchange. The number of days selected/available will determine the exchange fee(s) and the points required. For example, right now, using a 3br float for shortstay, I could book 3br HHI unit for 1 day or 6 days. The 3br unit is 1900-7000 (approx.) points for 1 to 6 days. The same type unit (Elite, off season) in a 2br runs 1600-6000 points. Exchange fees and points charts below.

Here's the real rub: Do they take a HKT? Previous shortstay exchanges have reported yes and no. They have also reported that II took the full 10,000 points for the exchange instead of the shortstay points. They were refunded the difference and the HKT (if charged). Both II and Worldmark reps indicate that they MAY take a HKT. I would recommend not asking the question. Just wait and see if they do. I'm sure they'll charge you one if you insist. :confused:

Also, keep in mind that you could simply exchange the week (if it is in instant exchange) for only 4000 points inside of 59 days. Two weeks for 8000 points. So, always decide the cost of what you want to do (and whether full or shortstay exchange) before confirming the exchange.

If I ever get the chance to actually book a shortstay (I always need to think before booking....oops too late) then I'll update.

upload_2017-8-4_8-20-36.png
upload_2017-8-4_8-24-39.png

smmatrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Worldmark owner, and the only short stays I can think of are bonus time days where you can reserve up to 4 days based on availability in the next two weeks. Otherwise, when you book your regular week, you are using points and can shorten as much as you like. We often stay Sun-Thur and avoid the expensive Fri-Sat nights.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm a Worldmark owner, and the only short stays I can think of are bonus time days where you can reserve up to 4 days based on availability in the next two weeks. Otherwise, when you book your regular week, you are using points and can shorten as much as you like. We often stay Sun-Thur and avoid the expensive Fri-Sat nights.

Nope, nope.

Folks, Shortstay Vacations is an Interval International Exchange option for Gold/Platinum memberships.
Because the question relates directly to Worldmark-shortstays (and not just II) it's appropriate for this forum.

Go to Interval and see for yourself.
upload_2017-8-4_12-11-5.png

upload_2017-8-4_12-10-45.png

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, the points listed on the shortstay page are the points required to complete the exchange. They are withdrawn from your Worldmark account just as a normal exchange will withdraw points. You will be charged an exchange fee for each shortstay exchange. The number of days selected/available will determine the exchange fee(s) and the points required. For example, right now, using a 3br float for shortstay, I could book 3br HHI unit for 1 day or 6 days. The 3br unit is 1900-7000 (approx.) points for 1 to 6 days. The same type unit (Elite, off season) in a 2br runs 1600-6000 points. Exchange fees and points charts below.

Here's the real rub: Do they take a HKT? Previous shortstay exchanges have reported yes and no. They have also reported that II took the full 10,000 points for the exchange instead of the shortstay points. They were refunded the difference and the HKT (if charged). Both II and Worldmark reps indicate that they MAY take a HKT. I would recommend not asking the question. Just wait and see if they do. I'm sure they'll charge you one if you insist. :confused:

Also, keep in mind that you could simply exchange the week (if it is in instant exchange) for only 4000 points inside of 59 days. Two weeks for 8000 points. So, always decide the cost of what you want to do (and whether full or shortstay exchange) before confirming the exchange.

If I ever get the chance to actually book a shortstay (I always need to think before booking....oops too late) then I'll update.

View attachment 4434 View attachment 4435

Great info! From this chart, it appears that fewer points are used for short stay. When I look at 2BR, for 7 days itis only 6,600. Obviously short stay only goes up to 6 days.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Taterhed,

Thanks for all the great info. I always wondered if the points shown was the WM points required but was always scared to finish the exchange fearing amount of credits I would be charged.

One thing I hate about II is I never see credits being used in check out process unless I'm missing something you only know once they have transferred. So knowing the small point numbers on the short stay exchanges is truly the WM credits is a big help.

I live west coast FL with lots of Hyatt's. I have an abundance of WM credits and would love to use for short stays at theses resorts. Even with exchange fee, I think it would work out as a better value than buying a Hyatt TS and costs would be on par or slightly less than Hyatt MF's

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never seen any shortstays that are desirable when I looked at it a couple of years ago. Over supply and in shoulder seasons. Has it changed?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Depends on your definition of good and your ability to do very short notice stays

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Taterhed,

Thanks for all the great info. I always wondered if the points shown was the WM points required but was always scared to finish the exchange fearing amount of credits I would be charged.

One thing I hate about II is I never see credits being used in check out process unless I'm missing something you only know once they have transferred. So knowing the small point numbers on the short stay exchanges is truly the WM credits is a big help.

I live west coast FL with lots of Hyatt's. I have an abundance of WM credits and would love to use for short stays at theses resorts. Even with exchange fee, I think it would work out as a better value than buying a Hyatt TS and costs would be on par or slightly less than Hyatt MF's
Please please do reply with the total charges and hkt situation if you eventually reserve
one

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Off Point from the original poster's question but because of an inaccurate response above. Platinum is a word associated with Worldmark Accounts/Membership. In the Worldmark World there are WM Points. These are Points acquired on the Secondary Market after a set date in November 2006. There are WM+A Points. These are Worldmark Points acquired from what ever source prior to a set date in November 2006. Then there are Travelshare Points. These are Points acquired from the Developer after the set date in November 2006. There are 4 levels of Travelshare depending on how many Points you acquire from the Developer - Travelshare (6,000 - 19,999) Travelshare Silver Elite (20,000 - 34,999), Travelshare Diamond Elite (35,000 - 62,999), and Travelshare Platinum Elite ( 63,000 +)

Last edited:

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Off Point from the original poster's question but because of an inaccurate response above. Platinum is a word associated with Worldmark Accounts/Membership. In the Worldmark World there are WM Points. These are Points acquired on the Secondary Market after a set date in November 2006. There are WM+A Points. These are Worldmark Points acquired from what ever source prior to a set date in November 2006. Then there are Travelshare Points. These are Points acquired from the Developer after the set date in November 2006. There are 4 levels of Travelshare depending on how many Points you acquire from the Developer - Travelshare (6,000 - 19,999) Travelshare Silver Elite (20,000 - 34,999), Travelshare Diamond Elite (35,000 - 62,999), and Travelshare Platinum Elite ( 63,000 +)

Platinum is also an upgraded level of a Interval Exchange Account, this platinum is the one I am referring to!

A Platinum Interval Account allows you less than full week stays same as an RCI Points account.

Also in Worldmark we call them credits not points ;)

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Taterhed,

I'll be okay on the HK I have an NHK account so this will eliminate any need for extra HK for me.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I understood what you were talking about. I was responding to the person above that said,the word "Platinum" is not associated in any way with Worldmark. Also I have been with Worldmark for over 15 years and you can call them Points or Credits.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got OP's question right away. It takes someone with Worldmark account and II gold/platinum accounts to understand OP's question. I just did not have the answer as I have never used my Worldmark for external exchange nor have I used II shortstays.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Taterhed,

I'll be okay on the HK I have an NHK account so this will eliminate any need for extra HK for me.
Okay, now I'm Jelly.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I understood what you were talking about. I was responding to the person above that said,the word "Platinum" is not associated in any way with Worldmark. Also I have been with Worldmark for over 15 years and you can call them Points or Credits.

Understood, Glad you have gotten 15 years of great use out of WM. I have had 3 and love it. Just hope WYN doesn't ruin it or change policies to make the few unhappy people who are mad about people renting. I have never rented, but cringe every time they beg for change to curb the so called mega renters. Each time the board changes stuff they also take flexibility from everyday owners who just use their accounts for personal use. This current flexibility is what makes WM so great in the first place.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I agree. If you are not you should become a Member of www.wmowners.com and its Forum. It is free. There has been a lot of discussion about the Megarenters and what if anything should be done. The opinion is about evenly divided. I am on the side of do nothing at least for a couple years while we see how last year's changes shake out.