• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can someone please advise of the TPUs for this week?

MattMMMan17

Reaction score
Kahana falls 2 bedroom lockoff, floating week 1-52.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth purchasing it. Mainly in the hopes of banking and then using the points to book elsewhere. Thank you!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Kahana falls 2 bedroom lockoff, floating week 1-52.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth purchasing it. Mainly in the hopes of banking and then using the points to book elsewhere. Thank you!

So there is at least a combination of 104 different ways (weeks and together versus separate) that this could be deposited. I am not familiar with what is allowed by the resort in terms of how deposits work (can you pick any week and then deposit it?)

If you know what week and in what manner you want to make deposits to calculate TPU value, I would be happy to look it up.

It looks like (Based on II's TDI Chart) that weeks 27 to 30 and weeks 51 and 52 are the absolute top weeks.

Here are the TPUs a week 27 would yield in 2022

2BR = 38 TPU
1BR 2(2) = 37 TPUs
1BR 4(2) = 37 TPUs
1BR 4(4) = 37 TPUs
Studio = 36 TPUs

Note: I have no idea how realistic booking a week 27 is or what possible deposit combinations are possible.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That is not cheap enough maintenance fees to book and bank the week, not in my opinion. What are the maintenance fees? If they are $1,500 or so, that is not a great payoff. There are better weeks. I bought Maui to stay on Maui, not to trade. I wouldn't buy Kahana Falls at all.

MattMMMan17

Reaction score
So there is at least a combination of 104 different ways (weeks and together versus separate) that this could be deposited. I am not familiar with what is allowed by the resort in terms of how deposits work (can you pick any week and then deposit it?)

If you know what week and in what manner you want to make deposits to calculate TPU value, I would be happy to look it up.

It looks like (Based on II's TDI Chart) that weeks 27 to 30 and weeks 51 and 52 are the absolute top weeks.

Here are the TPUs a week 27 would yield in 2022

2BR = 38 TPU
1BR 2(2) = 37 TPUs
1BR 4(2) = 37 TPUs
1BR 4(4) = 37 TPUs
Studio = 36 TPUs

Note: I have no idea how realistic booking a week 27 is or what possible deposit combinations are possible.

Thank you very much, I didn't realize it differed based on weeks so much. I'm aiming to find best TPUs per maintenance fee $ , it sounds like Kahana is not as high as I was hoping. I likely need to find something deeded for higher demand weeks, yes? I'm familiar with RCI, not II, but are the numbers about the same for both? Thanks so much for checking

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I know nothing of the resort, but buying Maui to have an efficient trader is not generally how this works.

MattMMMan17

Reaction score
That is not cheap enough maintenance fees to book and bank the week, not in my opinion. What are the maintenance fees? If they are $1,500 or so, that is not a great payoff. There are better weeks. I bought Maui to stay on Maui, not to trade. I wouldn't buy Kahana Falls at all.

No it's not cheap enough. Fees were just under 1500. If you have any recommendations that would be better suited to banking for use I'd appreciate anything you can share. Thank you

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is your experience with timeshare? Based on your questions, it’s possible that you are relatively new to them. If so, maybe buying to exchange isn’t necessarily the place to start?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is nothing wrong starting in the timeshare game with a strategy to trade. I have yet to stay in a home resort during one of my home weeks. You simply need to start with research on what is an efficient trader. There is also nothing wrong with doing this in RCI Weeks, but to me RCI Points is more transparent, has fewer unknowns, and offers more flexibility.

Last edited:

MattMMMan17

Reaction score
What is your experience with timeshare? Based on your questions, it’s possible that you are relatively new to them. If so, maybe buying to exchange isn’t necessarily the place to start?

I grew up using my parents' timeshares and have used weeks at different resorts from them over the past 5 years. I'm looking for an efficient trader of my own. I'm only familiar with their main one, which was a deeded villa week converted to points through the Welk Platinum Points Program.

MattMMMan17

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong starting in the timeshare game with a strategy to trade. I have yet to stay in a home resort during one of my home weeks. You simply need to start with research on what is an efficient trader. There is nothing wrong with doing this in RCI Weeks, but to me RCI Points is more transparent, has fewer unknowns, and offers more flexibility.

Thank you for the direction. Which of these subforums is a better place to look into what are efficient traders? So far the Las Vegas GrandView seems to be on the shortlist. Is a Week 52, 2bd there(122k pts I believe) with Maintenance fees of $850 considered efficient?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the direction. Which of these subforums is a better place to look into what are efficient traders? So far the Las Vegas GrandView seems to be on the shortlist. Is a Week 52, 2bd there(122k pts I believe) with Maintenance fees of $850 considered efficient?

The Vacation Village subforrum may be a good place to start. Your options do not need to be limited to Vacation Village, but it seems they have cornered the market for the most efficient RCI Points traders.

I would focus less on exactly what week I was buying and mostly on the points value. The week could matter if you want to rent it out, but that is not something I do (and would not factor into trading value). The only preference I have for a specific week is say if weeks 24-32 are the ones with the highest point calue, I would prefer to own week 28 to 24 making an assumption it is less likely to be reassessed and have fewer points .... and that would just be a slight preference.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong starting in the timeshare game with a strategy to trade. I have yet to stay in a home resort during one of my home weeks. You simply need to start with research on what is an efficient trader. There is nothing wrong with doing this in RCI Weeks, but to me RCI Points is more transparent, has fewer unknowns, and offers more flexibility.

I 100% agree with this, I got into the RCI exchange game and been very happy with it. I own 5 timeshare contracts, and with the exception of DVC Aulani for a total of a 1 week stay, I never really stayed at the resorts I own. I am always exchanging thru RCI, II, or internal HGVC / DVC resort booking system. I brought all my timeshares sight unseen, but from all the many months of research here on TUGBBS, like almost 6 months worth, I knew exactly what I was getting into and comfortable to get into the trading game.

However, I won't advise this for everybody. For my family, we are flexible as I can travel any time/week of the year with my work, not stuck to a school schedule, so I tend to avoid high seasons, Holidays, spring break, and summer travels, where most people are trying to exchange into. So, if you have the flexibility and patience, it's a great way to get weeks of vacations for relatively cheap. However, now I have a different problem, because of the excellent trading TPU's I get in RCI Weeks for my deposits, I easily get 3-7 weeks a year booked just on my RCI week timeshare alone, but I like to utilize all the other timeshares system I own also. That means I don't have enough vacation time in a year to use all my timeshare ownerships, so I am forever always paying RCI combine fees to keep my TPUs from expiring. Basically I got too efficient a week that I can't keep up, if it was the only timeshare I own, it would work, but I really love my HGVC and DVC also. Sadly, I probably will need to start looking at getting rid of the RCI week ownership next year because I still have enough TPU's for the next 3-5 years easily still.

So, you just have to make sure you understand what you are getting into and if you can make it work in your own given situation. Some people just can't wait, get stressed out, if they can't book exactly what they want, at the resort they want, when they want. In that case, buy what you will only use. That's not me, I love getting weeks that cost me usually between $300-$500 a weeks in MF dues + the exchange fee, and doing this many times over.

Great3

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own a bit too much for my schedule/vacation time as well, but not a lot too much. Once my point accumulation gets to a certain point, I am going to experiment with doing some rentals.

I 100% agree with this, I got into the RCI exchange game and been very happy with it. I own 5 timeshare contracts, and with the exception of DVC Aulani for a total of a 1 week stay, I never really stayed at the resorts I own. I am always exchanging thru RCI, II, or internal HGVC / DVC resort booking system. I brought all my timeshares sight unseen, but from all the many months of research here on TUGBBS, like almost 6 months worth, I knew exactly what I was getting into and comfortable to get into the trading game.

However, I won't advise this for everybody. For my family, we are flexible as I can travel any time/week of the year with my work, not stuck to a school schedule, so I tend to avoid high seasons, Holidays, spring break, and summer travels, where most people are trying to exchange into. So, if you have the flexibility and patience, it's a great way to get weeks of vacations for relatively cheap. However, now I have a different problem, because of the excellent trading TPU's I get in RCI Weeks for my deposits, I easily get 3-7 weeks a year booked just on my RCI week timeshare alone, but I like to utilize all the other timeshares system I own also. That means I don't have enough vacation time in a year to use all my timeshare ownerships, so I am forever always paying RCI combine fees to keep my TPUs from expiring. Basically I got too efficient a week that I can't keep up, if it was the only timeshare I own, it would work, but I really love my HGVC and DVC also. Sadly, I probably will need to start looking at getting rid of the RCI week ownership next year because I still have enough TPU's for the next 3-5 years easily still.

So, you just have to make sure you understand what you are getting into and if you can make it work in your own given situation. Some people just can't wait, get stressed out, if they can't book exactly what they want, at the resort they want, when they want. In that case, buy what you will only use. That's not me, I love getting weeks that cost me usually between $300-$500 a weeks in MF dues + the exchange fee, and doing this many times over.

Great3

MattMMMan17

Reaction score
The Vacation Village subforrum may be a good place to start. Your options do not need to be limited to Vacation Village, but it seems they have cornered the market for the most efficient RCI Points traders.

I would focus less on exactly what week I was buying and mostly on the points value. The week could matter if you want to rent it out, but that is not something I do (and would not factor into trading value). The only preference I have for a specific week is say if weeks 24-32 are the ones with the highest point calue, I would prefer to own week 28 to 24 making an assumption it is less likely to be reassessed and have fewer points .... and that would just be a slight preference.

Thank you for this. I checked out Vacation Village subforum and didn't realize the LV Grandview I was looking at belongs to them. I'll start looking more into them to get a better feel for how people are using them.

The reason I was aiming at a high-demand week was I'm trying to see about purchasing a 2bd(or more) lockoff where I can deposit 1studio to get double RCI pts for my use the next year and allow them to rent 1bd for the week allowing my 40% share to pay for the maintenance fees. Not advisable for some reason?

MattMMMan17

Reaction score

Great3
Dang 5 contracts, that's a lot. Definitely more than we could make use of. We usually can get 1 week a year plus a weekend trip. We're kinda flexible as well, luckily, so hopefully that will work in our favor in booking places. I'll keep reading in the forums here to get a better feel for how people are using theirs and get some more questions answered. One question I have for you, is there a reason you do RCI Weeks instead of points?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Dang 5 contracts, that's a lot. Definitely more than we could make use of. We usually can get 1 week a year plus a weekend trip. We're kinda flexible as well, luckily, so hopefully that will work in our favor in booking places. I'll keep reading in the forums here to get a better feel for how people are using theirs and get some more questions answered. One question I have for you, is there a reason you do RCI Weeks instead of points?

Oh crud, if 5 is a lot....

Anyway, in the RCI points realm, the Massanutten resorts (Regal Vista & Woodstone) do a bit better than Grandview. They're also in the Vacation Village family. They don't do as well in RCI weeks, though - there are a lot better trading resorts out there, though I don't recall which ones are considered the top notch ones.

In II, Sheraton Desert Oasis and Sheraton Broadway Plantation have good reputations as traders; if you pick up a 2 BR LO at one of those you can deposit as two separate weeks. They also have preference for trading into the other Vistana resorts and the Marriott resorts. II seems to have a bit up on RCI for resort quality, though RCI seems to have more quantity in availability. Just my opinion - YMMV.

One possibility I would suggest is looking into a resort that is dual affiliated with RCI and II so that you can try them both out. The Colonies in Williamsburg, also a Vacation Village resort, is a decent one if you can find a summer week 4 BR LO. Maintenance fees are reasonable (~$1K) and get you a fair number of TPUs in RCI or two 2 BR deposits with decent trading power in II.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yeah, 5 contracts is not that much, I even meet a guy on on TUGBBS and even in person who stays like 40+weeks in a timeshare. And there are some others, that I see posted saying they are staying in Timeshares full time. But 5 contacts is a lot if you only get 2-6 weeks of vacation a year.

I did RCI weeks instead of RCI points because I learned the in and outs of RCI Weeks / TPUs at first, and the buy-in cost is a lot cheaper, basically almost free (at about $500), and it presented itself as an opportunity at first.

Great3

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I had 9 weeks of rci exchanges from June 4-August 14 plus used one and a half of my own weeks.
All were 2 BR's except the final week in Virginia Beach. 2 were into VV/Massanutten with a $159 exchange fee and the other 7 had a $249 exchange fees= $2061. 96 tpu's and 118,500 rci points. Including RCI membership for a year with platinum it averages about $570 per week. This also includes a yearly rci combine fee of about $209. So my cost all in for the 9 rci weeks including resorts fee and all rci fees was about $5300.

4 weeks Ocean time, Ocean City (no resort fee because I own there)- one was an upgrade from a smaller OC exchange
2 weeks regal Vista at Massanutten (Virginia Mountains) 2 BR cost includes $59 per week owner resort fee per week
2 weeks 2 BR Wyndham Smoky Mountain Resort (as an rci exchange we did get the crapiest location but did not have to move)
1 week 1 BR Barclay Towers Virginia Beach

Most were made 13-10 months in advance with the exception of the first week (june 4 Ocean City) and the last week (Aug 7 virginia Beach) which were each booked about a 3 weeks before check in.

Last edited: