• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can RCI points be used for a Cruise?

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I know no one is cruising now, but can this be done? Have any of you done it?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
You will find people that have done it. You cannot do it at this time. RCI recently shut down being able to use points for hotel discounts .... looks like they don't want to be on the losing end of a lot of people trying to get out of their glut of points.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You will find people that have done it. You cannot do it at this time. RCI recently shut down being able to use points for hotel discounts .... looks like they don't want to be on the losing end of a lot of people trying to get out of their glut of points.
They actually shut down using points for a discount on cruises ( you could never pay for the whole cruise with RCI points) around October of last year. They advertised the change for months.
They discontinued all points partners for hotel, car or airfare as of January 1, 2020 with no notice. It had nothing to do with Covid they discontinued their relationship with ICE (International Cruise and resort exchange) who administrated the points toward other travel. I believe ICE still administers those types of exchanges for Interval international (hotel exchange and cruise exchange).

You can reserve your home week (during your home week priority) rent that out yourself and then use the cash toward a cruise through the vendor of your choice. It doesn't help with anything already deposited or if you are beyond your ability to reserve during home week priority (13-12 months in advance of check in)

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
They discontinued all points partners for hotel, car or airfare as of January 1, 2020 with no notice. It had nothing to do with Covid they discontinued their relationship with ICE (International Cruise and resort exchange) who administrated the points toward other travel. I believe ICE still administers those types of exchanges for Interval international (hotel exchange and cruise exchange).

Actually earlier this year they brought back being able to use points to get a discount for hotels, but it went away with the most recent website update.

Here is a thread when people were discussing using points for hotel discounts as late as July. I shopped around, saw that I could, but didn't pull the trigger on anything.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Actually earlier this year they brought back being able to use points to get a discount for hotels, but it went away with the most recent website update.

Here is a thread when people were discussing using points for hotel discounts as late as July. I shopped around, saw that I could, but didn't pull the trigger on anything.
That is still there. Go to booking and then go to book with points and cash. Not the same as it used to be. Up until last year I could book a single night in a $350 hotel and use about 40,000 points plus a $25 points partner fee. Now If I want to book a $350 hotel I can use a max of 2000 points (up to 10,000 on a single booking of 5 + nights) and get $0-$40 of and still pay $310 for that hotel room. Yes in the past the $350 might not have been the least I could get it for but it usually was $290-$350 on other sites so I could really use the points toward the hotel. The 2000 points per night I can use now is closer to the monopoly money savings dollars for all of the hotels I've seen but maybe you can find some actual deals, it will still cost hour hundreds in cash vs the old $25 but you use fewer points.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is an example
Ocean city Comfort Inn Gold coast 2 adults cheapest room 9/11-9/13
with points plus cash the discounted rate is $109.32 per night which they say is a 23% discount. This would use 8000 points since it is for 2 nights. My total out of pocket would be $247.27 including taxes ( you could use the points partners in the past to pay taxes too so less out of pocket if you had enough points).

I can select the hotel with the hotels tab through rci and low and behold they have a $115.61 per night with my rci platinum discount (no points used) so the total for 2 nights is $261.50 I save a remarkable $14.23 using 4000 points

Through Booking.com and others it was $286 plus 6% tax but fee not due until check in.

Priceline through my interval international platinum account had a $99 rate that was $219 with taxes no points or timeshare used.

Why did I pick this hotel. It is a fairly average/crappy hotel on the bayside. It was the first chain hotel that came up on rci and I knew they would have availability over multiple platforms.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also wanted to mention that with rci they show you a single night cost even if you were booking for multiple days. It isn't until you click through that they show you the total cost for the total stay so the person on the other thread who thought they were saving $3000 on a weeks stay may or may not have actually had that type of savings when actually booked.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is cheaper and better to book a cruise yourself direct with a cruise agent or an agencies that deal directly with a cruise line. Suggestion only, You can ask this same question on the Cruise Critics website. It is free to join and you can ask this question and ask any other concerns question, you have about cruising.
IMHO.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use cruisecompete.com You will get multiple quotes from several agencies.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
ICE (International Cruise and resort exchange) who administrated the points toward other travel. I believe ICE still administers those types of exchanges for Interval international (hotel exchange and cruise exchange).
We have booked cruises through Interval International (not exchange for a cruise), and got the impression that those were always booked through Intervals Travel Agency. I can't think of the name right now. Are the cruise exchanges handled differently? I know that ICE works with a lot of the big hotel chains on cruise bookings when you use your hotel points to book a cruise.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have booked cruises through Interval International (not exchange for a cruise), and got the impression that those were always booked through Intervals Travel Agency. I can't think of the name right now. Are the cruise exchanges handled differently? I know that ICE works with a lot of the big hotel chains on cruise bookings when you use your hotel points to book a cruise.
I am pretty sure that in 2015 the small print disclosure said that interval options for cruises went through ICE. I don't know that ICE was booking the cruise or just offering to straight monotanize the exchang. They so seem to do it all internally though their owned company WVT worldwide vacation and travel. I can't trace when that change took place but maybe 2016 or 2017.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you click the link "book with points and cash" does that work for you at this point. It is just pulling up a blank page when I try in chrome. I have cleared my cache and rebooted. The RCI website has seemed especially buggy the last couple of days.

That is still there. Go to booking and then go to book with points and cash. Not the same as it used to be. Up until last year I could book a single night in a $350 hotel and use about 40,000 points plus a $25 points partner fee. Now If I want to book a $350 hotel I can use a max of 2000 points (up to 10,000 on a single booking of 5 + nights) and get $0-$40 of and still pay $310 for that hotel room. Yes in the past the $350 might not have been the least I could get it for but it usually was $290-$350 on other sites so I could really use the points toward the hotel. The 2000 points per night I can use now is closer to the monopoly money savings dollars for all of the hotels I've seen but maybe you can find some actual deals, it will still cost hour hundreds in cash vs the old $25 but you use fewer points.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was working for me using chrome. I will try again now.
Points plus cash
Virginia beach 9/18-9/19
Residence Inn Virginia Beach
VB RCI.PNG

Oceanfront
Room: Suite, 1 Bedroom, Non Smoking, Oceanfront 1 King Bed Free WiFi, Full Kitchen, Free breakfast, Free valet parking, Breakfast Buffet, Free self parking, Free High-Speed Internet. Rate for 2 people per room
Friday, September 18, 2020283.35 USD247.14 USD

Total Savings42.07 USD
Points Used2000
Room Cost:283.35 USD247.14 USD
Tax Recovery Charges and Service Fees:39.97 USD
Total:329.18 USD287.11 USD
Payment:
Due Now:287.11 USD

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Something is flubbed up in my account. I can access it from my RCI Weeks Account, but it just opens a blank page in my RCI Points account.

Points plus cash
Virginia beach 9/18-9/19

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points plus cash
Virginia beach 9/18-9/19
View attachment 26447
Oceanfront
Room: Suite, 1 Bedroom, Non Smoking, Oceanfront 1 King Bed Free WiFi, Full Kitchen, Free breakfast, Free valet parking, Breakfast Buffet, Free self parking, Free High-Speed Internet. Rate for 2 people per room
Friday, September 18, 2020283.35 USD247.14 USD

Total Savings42.07 USD
Points Used2000
Room Cost:283.35 USD247.14 USD
Tax Recovery Charges and Service Fees:39.97 USD
Total:329.18 USD287.11 USD
Payment:
Due Now:287.11 USD
The word is this is a very nice hotel and outstanding location and outstanding ocean front room views.