• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can one still "trade up" through DC program?

emilyjames

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that lots has been discussed about the DC program but I would appreciate if someone can clarify something for me.
We have two Marriott weeks--both resale and both lock-offs. Our usual pattern has been to lock off both units and deposit and trade through Interval--we have managed to procure some very good trades--always to Marriotts and usually to at least one bedrooms in some prime resorts. We usually give two of our trades to our married children ( requiring guest certificates) and use the other two weeks ourselves. We are not unsatisfied with Interval--

Our main reason for considering the DC route would be to save on Interval fees. What I am uncertain about is : if we join the DC program, can we continue to do as we do now--lock off our units, reserve at our home resorts and trade through Interval, using our"new" Marriott account, and procure, as we often do, a one bedroom for a lock-off unit?-- or are we limited to either reserving and staying at our home resorts or opting to convert our weeks for destination points and using the points to reserve at other Marriotts. Thanks for any help. Eileen

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Our main reason for considering the DC route would be to save on Interval fees. What I am uncertain about is : if we join the DC program, can we continue to do as we do now--lock off our units, reserve at our home resorts and trade through Interval, using our"new" Marriott account, and procure, as we often do, a one bedroom for a lock-off unit?-- or are we limited to either reserving and staying at our home resorts or opting to convert our weeks for destination points and using the points to reserve at other Marriotts. Thanks for any help. Eileen

You can continue to do as you do. We have continue to "trade up" in II using the new corporate account. We traded a 1BR Harbour Lake in to a 2BR MOW.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
pluck?

If I were to join DC... and use my "new" Interval account:

Let's say I "reserved" a super great week with a lock-off (as in Christmas week in Orlando at Lakeshore :D ). If I were to try to deposit that into my "new" Interval account, would Marriott have the right to snatch it and substitute it with something else in Interval and "lessen" my trading power when I'm trying to up-trade?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If I were to join DC... and use my "new" Interval account:

Let's say I "reserved" a super great week with a lock-off (as in Christmas week in Orlando at Lakeshore :D ). If I were to try to deposit that into my "new" Interval account, would Marriott have the right to snatch it and substitute it with something else in Interval and "lessen" my trading power when I'm trying to up-trade?

They may have the right to snatch it, but your deposit still shows the week you deposited, so it should hold the trade power of that week. As of yet, Marriott doesn't deposit like Starwood or Westgate. Those two systems pick the week for you to deposit.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course we can still trade up. Especially if you are doing lockoffs. I'm not as sure of it during prime season but I usually don't trade prime for prime. I trade mostly lock off prime for off season full two and three bedrooms. You have a pretty good chance of trading up when you do that.

As a general rule the question has no one answer for everyone. Some folks restrict themselves to only a few weeks during prime time. The less flexible you are in your trading demands the more likely you won't get what you want. It gets even better when you can add three or four days to your stay with points.

tompk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only can you trade up but you can do a retrade to trade up even more with no fees. Three weeks ago I exchanged a Grande Vista studio for a 2 br Grande Chateau, no exchange fee, as I'm enrolled in the DC. Today I came across a 3br Grand Chateau so I called Interval, gave them back the 2br Grande Chateau and booked the 3 br Grande Chateau, also no exchange fee. Life is good!

emilyjames

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks For The Replies. But These Prompt Other Questions:

Is The Inventory The Same Whether One Is Using A Marriott Corporate Account Or An Individual Account ?

If The Answer Is Yes, Why Would Swice Suggest That Marriott Might Be Able To Swipe A Premiun Week Deposited From Interval If One Were To Join The Dc Program?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks For The Replies. But These Prompt Other Questions:

Is The Inventory The Same Whether One Is Using A Marriott Corporate Account Or An Individual Account ?

If The Answer Is Yes, Why Would Swice Suggest That Marriott Might Be Able To Swipe A Premiun Week Deposited From Interval If One Were To Join The Dc Program?

From many reports and my own experience, the inventory is the same for the DC account and the old account. Marriott can swipe inventory no matter what to use for DC. So it wouldn't matter if you are in enrolled or not. If Marriott takes the week for points use, you won't be able to get it.