• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

can i trade a 1 bedroom into a 2 bedroom only marriott

changejobs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I split a 2 bedroom week at grand vista and deposited both with interval. I used the studio with no problem. I want to stay at cypress harbour but they only have 2 bedrooms. I tried to get a confirmation trading into a 2 bedroom at cypress harbour,which the system said was available.

I am 8 months out. I thought that if you were trading from marriott to marriott and you were trading up to a resort that only had 2 bedrooms that they would do an automatic confirmation upgrade if the week was available. Was the agent at II wrong or am I.

Last edited:

Elden12

Reaction score
If a week was available II should have given you the week. You cannot do a request for an upgrade but if one is available they should let you book the week. As long as the week is a decent trader and all the resort has is 2 bedrooms you should be able to get a week. Since Grande Vista is also in Orlando I would think that you should be able to exchange.

In cases like this I always thank the rep, hang up the phone, and call back and speak to another rep. Eventually I find someone to accomodate the request. :) It is unfortunate that this method has to be employed to get results.

You didn't state in your post if you called the Marriott Desk at Interval. I do recommend that you call the Marriott Desk at Interval for your Marriott trades. The reps are usually a little better trained to assist Marriott owners.

Good Luck!

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
changejobs said:
I split a 2 bedroom week at grand vista and deposited both with interval. I used the studio with no problem. I want to stay at cypress harbour but they only have 2 bedrooms. I tried to get a confirmation trading into a 2 bedroom at cypress harbour,which the system said was available.

I am 8 months out. I thought that if you were trading from marriott to marriott and you were trading up to a resort that only had 2 bedrooms that they would do an automatic confirmation upgrade if the week was available. Was the agent at II wrong or am I.
Just do it online, if you can see it. Why even call?

Pat

changejobs

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks. let me explain further.

i was able to see on the ii internet site that a 2 bedroom was available by searching for the week using a 2 bedroom at a different resort. i can not trade this 2 bedroom since i have in a request for a trade that i also need.

however, what i thought was strange was that I could not see the week when i checked II site using the 1 bedroom.

When I called interval the first time i got a lot of b/s from the person but said i would have to set up a request. I then posted here since it did not sound right.

After listening to all here, I went back and the new person told me that I have to wait 6 months out before they would let me get the week. They talked to their supervisor and the sup said the week was to high in demand and they only had 1 unit so they wont make the trade.

I still say this doesnt sound right. any suggestions?

thanks to all
larry

PS it was the marriott desk at interval that I spoke with both times

gbiu

Reaction score
I recently traded a Desert Springs lock-off for a two bedroom Marriott in Marbella, Spain. The trip will be in 6 months, so the use of a flexchange was not involved.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Several resorts in Orlando have regional restrictions against trading back into Orlando resorts. I'll bet yours is that way. Was the 2BR that your searched with from Orlando or elsewhere? You should check with II.

The reason that I say this is that I own one in Williamsburg with the same problem. I can see my Manor Club (and Sequel) weeks on II, but not other Williamsburg resorts built prior to my purchase.

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not put in a for a request first exchange and see if that works. You can cancel it at any time prior to it being filled and get your unit and fee back.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your one BR does not have enough trading power to currently get the week you want. Marriott internal trading preference is not absolute. It's not simply a matter of it's there, you're giving up a Marriott thus you get it. And they are getting more and more strict about trading the same size unit when dealing with lockoff's. The exception are Marriott's where one actually owns simply a 1 BR such as Custom House. In that case you can trade it just like you would a 2 BR to other Marriott's.

I agree with the others, put in an ongoing request and/or keep calling back. As time grows closer, you may indeed have enough power to get it.

On a side note, I think you'll eventually see II where they will limit trades to a maximum of one size upgrade in trade no matter the rest of the trade power of the units involved. I know some will disagree but this is my feeling.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just keep calling back. What you want appears to be "unique" so it'll take some persistence.

Since the unit appears when shopping the 2BR, you know it isn't a matter of inventory, merely trade power/preference/rules.

Now you have to find someone who'll "adjust" them for you. Good luck and I hope it works out!

Pat

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's due to trading power

Dean said:
Your one BR does not have enough trading power to currently get the week you want. Marriott internal trading preference is not absolute. It's not simply a matter of it's there, you're giving up a Marriott thus you get it. And they are getting more and more strict about trading the same size unit when dealing with lockoff's... QUOTE]

Dean's right...

Trades aren't automatic. A one bedroom won't automatically trade up to a 2 bedroom if the trade isn't considered a "like for like" exchange. Grande Vista has a high quality rating. So, I'm curious, are you trying to trade the same season as the week you depositied?

-Matt

changejobs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big Matt said:
Several resorts in Orlando have regional restrictions against trading back into Orlando resorts. I'll bet yours is that way. Was the 2BR that your searched with from Orlando or elsewhere? You should check with II.

The reason that I say this is that I own one in Williamsburg with the same problem. I can see my Manor Club (and Sequel) weeks on II, but not other Williamsburg resorts built prior to my purchase.

i have done this trade before grande vista to cypress harbour), never a problem. i had already handed in the lockoff week to ii , so i was assuming that based on my knowledge, it would be automatic since as a marriott i was always told if the unit in a 2 bedroom only resort is available, a lock off unit should be an automatic trade.

i just got thru to marriott owners service. they told me the way they understand it, i should have gotten the trade but they have no control over II. I asked them to talk with II for me, and they said they cant.
its nice to see how great marriott helps us.
:(

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
changejobs said:
i just got thru to marriott owners service. they told me the way they understand it, i should have gotten the trade but they have no control over II.

Sometimes people answer questions incorrectly or there is a misunderstanding of the facts or the specific question. This is one of those situations.

Dean and Matt are correct. II must deem your trade to be a comparable trade in order to automatically confirm the trade. The II "Terms & Conditions" (included in your II directory and on the II website) discuss the criteria for confirming exchanges. The Marriott internal exchange priority doesn't give you the right to trump what II expects to be other comparable exchange requests.

Some of that explanatory info is contained in the Marriott FAQs at the top of the list of topics for this Marriott forum.

There are many situations where a 1BR or a studio will draw a 2BR in exchange, but it's far from automatic. You have been treated fairly under II's rules.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
changejobs said:
i have done this trade before grande vista to cypress harbour), never a problem. i had already handed in the lockoff week to ii , so i was assuming that based on my knowledge, it would be automatic since as a marriott i was always told if the unit in a 2 bedroom only resort is available, a lock off unit should be an automatic trade.

i just got thru to marriott owners service. they told me the way they understand it, i should have gotten the trade but they have no control over II. I asked them to talk with II for me, and they said they cant.
its nice to see how great marriott helps us.
:(
The Marriott sales staff frequently is either misinformed or misleading about II. And Customer Service doesn't have a clue about II and the trade practices. Both tend to think it's automatic if it's there sitting in II, but they are wrong.